Author Topic: For God's sake, just put it out of its misery already...  (Read 1919 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
For God's sake, just put it out of its misery already...
« on: September 17, 2021, 07:17:27 AM »
Sears is closing its last store in Illinois, where the company was founded and thrived for a century...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/16/sears-is-shutting-its-last-store-in-illinois-its-home-state.html

How may Sears are actually left, you might wonder?

As of yesterday, 25, and 7 of those will be closing soon.

https://www.howmanysearsstores.com/#:~:text=Current%20Sears%20Locations%20-%20Last%20Updated%3A%20Friday%2C%20May,%20%20909-646-8000%20%2024%20more%20rows%20

No Sears remain open in Virginia. All of the Sears that I shopped at when I lived in Pennsylvania have closed.

What a sad state of affairs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: For God's sake, just put it out of its misery already...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:26:14 AM »
There is (or was) a little Sears in Ontario,OR. It's been a month since the last time I recall seeing it there. I will need to look the next time I'm in the area. Pretty run down building and no bigger than your average small town Dollar Store.

I still remember as a kid, going to a three story (with escalators!) Sears with my parents and them letting me wander the toy, sports, and tool sections on my own. It was almost like going on a family outing, like the department store in A Christmas Story. What a difference 50 years makes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 07:58:55 AM »
"What a difference 50 years makes."

Boy you're not kidding.

I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s (graduated high school in 1983), and Sears was the anchor store at the two major malls in the Harrisburg, PA, area. And they were HUGE stores. I think one of them was a 3 decker, as well, but the one I went to the most was a 2 decker, IIRC.

And christ, the malls themselves. It was impossible to move in them on a Friday or Saturday they were so mobbed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 08:06:51 AM »
And christ, the malls themselves. It was impossible to move in them on a Friday or Saturday they were so mobbed.

And from Black Friday through 24DEC it was practically like a giant sardine can. My parents would have to circle circle the parking lot forever, waiting for a spot to open up.

Progress and Amazon are progress and Amazon, and certainly buying most anything you can think of from home with next day delivery is super convenient, but there is something I miss about the well-stocked brick and mortar stores of old.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 08:12:20 AM »
I remember saving up money so I could build my own tool collection as a teenager in the 1970’s. I bought craftsman tools at Sears. My grandfather was a loyal Sears consumer.
They’ve been sinking for years. Quality went down and few things even made in USA. Nothing like the old Sears.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 08:17:14 AM »
My favorite store in the 80s. Empty hole in the mall now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 08:38:03 AM »
And from Black Friday through 24DEC it was practically like a giant sardine can. My parents would have to circle circle the parking lot forever, waiting for a spot to open up.

Progress and Amazon are progress and Amazon, and certainly buying most anything you can think of from home with next day delivery is super convenient, but there is something I miss about the well-stocked brick and mortar stores of old.

I question whether it is really progress.

Our retail economy across the whole spectrum is now more "efficient" but has now become much more fragile. A shock someplace across the world is now felt locally.

We save dollars and get immediate satisfaction, globalists make billions while putting the whole economy at risk.

The USA doesn't make many of the essential goods that were considered essential for national security any longer and there is little redundancy to fall back on during disruptions.

We believed the globalists and sold out our country for cheap crap from China/overseas. 

I've repented of my support for libertarian free trade global markets and open borders, a little late as the horse left the barn already.

Turns out Pat Buchannan was right on those issues all along.

The Sears where I grew up had a counter where they sold nuts that were under heat lamps, man I loved the smell and buying warm cashews!   
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 08:44:36 AM »
I remember saving up money so I could build my own tool collection as a teenager in the 1970’s. I bought craftsman tools at Sears. My grandfather was a loyal Sears consumer.
They’ve been sinking for years. Quality went down and few things even made in USA. Nothing like the old Sears.

Yes. Same here. I have a bunch of my Dad's, my Grandfather's and my Great Grandfather's tools, and many of them are Craftsman. Nothing says nostalgic fun like using your Great Grandfather's 1920s era Craftsman ratchet.

When I got out of college in 1987 I did the same thing... I started buying Craftsman tools and building my toolkit. It was almost a rite of passage.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 08:46:52 AM »
"And from Black Friday through 24DEC it was practically like a giant sardine can."

Last time I went to a mall (or shopping anywhere brick and mortar, really) on Black Friday was probably 1986. It was absolutely INSANE how many people were in that mall. Every store we went in had lines 10 and 12 or more people deep waiting to check out.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 08:51:39 AM »
Our first Christmas after we were married (1982) my wife bought me  good sized set of Craftsman tools. I've lost a few over the years (I'm pretty sure the kids helped with that, a lot) but I don't think I've broken any, might have worn out a screwdriver or two, still use them on at least a weekly basis.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 08:54:39 AM »
I still remember as a kid, going to a three story (with escalators!) Sears with my parents and them letting me wander the toy, sports, and tool sections on my own. It was almost like going on a family outing, like the department store in A Christmas Story. What a difference 50 years makes.

My brother and I had the exact same experience growing up.  The whole family even dressed up a bit to go to Sears.  Those were the days when Sears sold Ted Williams-branded firearms. 
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 08:59:26 AM »
Over the years I broke a couple of sockets and screwdrivers. It was great being able to walk into a Sears store and replace it with another one, no muss, no fuss, no crap.

Does Craftsman still have that policy now that they're owned by Black and Decker?

OK, they still do. I just pulled this off the Craftsman tools website.

"Full Lifetime Warranty
If the product fails to perform for any reason, we will replace it.

Hammers & Demolition Tools
Finishing Tools
Hex Key
Knives & Multi-tools
Nut Drivers
Pliers
Ratchet & Sockets
Screwdrivers
Wrenches & Wrench Sets

Note: Same warranty for all new CRAFTSMAN models (Model # starting with “CMHT”) and older models (Model # starting with “9”)

No proof of purchase required. Return damaged product to a stocking Retail Partner or contact Customer Care for details."

Now that I know that the tools carry the same warranty as the old Craftsman line sold by Sears I'm not so loath to purchase Craftsman hand tools anymore. I really haven't purchased much in the way of hand tools for a number of years, as I've got a LOT, and what I have been purchasing has generally been Kobalt from Lowes, but I may start buying Craftsman again.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 09:21:31 AM »
Speaking of the Craftsman tools, the tool aisles at Sears had a distinctive smell also!

Funny how smells and memories are linked.

The Craftsman tool aisles were on the bottom floor, had to take the escalator down to get there. The nuts were at the bottom of the escalator on the way to the tools. Good times as a kid.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 09:25:04 AM »
I started buying Craftsman tools and building my toolkit. It was almost a rite of passage.

For all of us, I think. I got my first car at 17, and my dad bought me a Craftsman tool kit that Christmas. I'd had Craftsman and other tools before that, but this was my first "real" tool kit - one of their however many hundred piece kits in a nice toolbox.  =)

That was a real father to son gift, and I was infuriated when some years later the kit was stolen from me when I was working in the oil patch.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 09:28:01 AM »
The USA doesn't make many of the essential goods that were considered essential for national security any longer and there is little redundancy to fall back on during disruptions.

This is the worst of it, IMO. Especially now in the age of covid, people might see that we would be way better off paying 15-20% more for many goods and services, but have the manufacture and distribution of those goods on our own soil. Especially critical goods like pharmaceuticals and computer chips.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 10:02:29 AM »
Like many of you, I built up my hand tool collection from Sears. I have two rolling mechanic's tool chests in the garage, and just about all the sockets, ratchets, breaker bars, nut drivers, etc. are Craftsman. When my wife was alive, any time we went to the mall she would leave me in the Sears hardware department while she would do her thing, and we'd agree to meet in food court a half hour or an hour later.

The Sears in both malls within range of home have been closed for several years. There were also two Sears Hardware stores within range, and they both folded several years ago.

Even before the end, things were clearly going downhill. The size of the tools and hardware department was constantly shrinking within the stores. When I was young, if you managed to break a Craftsman ratchet they replaced it with a new one from stock. Toward the end, they maintained a cache of (poorly) repaired, used ones under the counter, so if you returned one they replaced it with a rebuilt. Which offered about a 50/50 chance of being any better than you one you were turning in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »
"The nuts were at the bottom of the escalator on the way to the tools."

So you could get warm nuts at Sears, but you had to eat the washers cold.

Weird.  :rofl:

"Speaking of the Craftsman tools, the tool aisles at Sears had a distinctive smell also!"

Yep, I always figured it was a combination of the rust proofing oil that they coated the tools with AND the smell of the plastic on the screwdriver handles.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 10:40:02 AM »
"That was a real father to son gift, and I was infuriated when some years later the kit was stolen from me when I was working in the oil patch."

A few years before my Mom died I was doing some work at her house. I left one of my Dad's toolboxes on the back porch overnight. It had a bunch of his Craftsman hand tools in it.

The next morning it was gone.

Some *expletive deleted*ing low life, probably a local druggie, hopped the fence and stole it.

I would have gladly beaten the thief with any of the various heavy-duty tools that were in that box. That still pisses me off that because I got lazy I now don't have half of my Dad's tools that he left to me in his will.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 12:00:30 PM by K Frame »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 10:43:18 AM »
. . . I still remember as a kid, going to a three story (with escalators!) Sears with my parents and them letting me wander the toy, sports, and tool sections on my own. It was almost like going on a family outing, like the department store in A Christmas Story. What a difference 50 years makes.
I remember much the same - going to a multi-story Sears store in Chicago. They had big toy, tool, and sporting goods sections, and even a rack full of GUNS. This was probably pre-GCA '68 so the guns - though locked up - were in a regular store rack and not behind a counter. I was too young to REALLY know what I was looking at, but it seemed pretty cool to me. Tucked under one of the stairwells was a hot dog stand run by "Peggy Kellog" - they had GREAT chili dogs. When walking through the store you'd hear little "plink" chimes from time to time - messages directed toward specific employees or departments rather than voice pages over the PA. And I kind of remember vacuum tube systems moving things (money?) from the cash registers to (presumably) the accounting department, just like the drive up tellers at banks today. Craftsman and Kenmore were - quite rightly - highly respected brands back then. Heck, in addition to "vintage" Craftsman hand tools, I still use a Kenmore canister vacuum cleaner that must be 40 years old or so.

And of course, nearly everything was Made In USA, and people usually used cash - sometimes checks - rather than credit cards.

All that is gone now. And the thing is, with their established mail and phone order business, Sears was positioned to take advantage of the Internet - they COULD have been Amazon. But a long line of management blunders (as well as ethically suspect actions later on by the top brass) ultimately killed the store.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 11:01:00 AM »

All that is gone now. And the thing is, with their established mail and phone order business, Sears was positioned to take advantage of the Internet - they COULD have been Amazon. But a long line of management blunders (as well as ethically suspect actions later on by the top brass) ultimately killed the store.

I was working there when that happened, to say it was a cluster * is an understatement. Upper management just couldn't wrap their brains around on why would people would order something over that soon to be gone fad thing called the internet when they could drive to Sears and happily pay more. When they started to see the writing on the wall they couldn't get pass viewing Sear's own attempt at an online store as merely something to draw people into the stores and nothing more. Sears management was struck in the 1950s. They couldn't understand Walmart let alone the internet.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 11:09:53 AM »
I was working there when that happened, to say it was a cluster * is an understatement. Upper management just couldn't wrap their brains around on why would people would order something over that soon to be gone fad thing called the internet when they could drive to Sears and happily pay more. When they started to see the writing on the wall they couldn't get pass viewing Sear's own attempt at an online store as merely something to draw people into the stores and nothing more. Sears management was struck in the 1950s. They couldn't understand Walmart let alone the internet.

I would imagine that the Kmart takeover and their management didn't help things?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 11:16:33 AM »
I would imagine that the Kmart takeover and their management didn't help things?

I was out by that time.
Combining KM and Sears resulted in something similar to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Cimarron
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 11:17:26 AM »
Eddie Lampert's Folly, though I think he ultimately got exactly what he wanted. What little I can find indicates he's quietly buying up the real property holdings at pennies on the dollar.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 11:27:01 AM »
^^^I think Sears leadership carefully planned this to enrich themselves personally, by selling off the brick and mortar assets and profiting off the real estate assets.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 11:41:10 AM »
I remember much the same - going to a multi-story Sears store in Chicago. They had big toy, tool, and sporting goods sections, and even a rack full of GUNS. This was probably pre-GCA '68 so the guns - though locked up - were in a regular store rack and not behind a counter. I was too young to REALLY know what I was looking at, but it seemed pretty cool to me. Tucked under one of the stairwells was a hot dog stand run by "Peggy Kellog" - they had GREAT chili dogs. When walking through the store you'd hear little "plink" chimes from time to time - messages directed toward specific employees or departments rather than voice pages over the PA. And I kind of remember vacuum tube systems moving things (money?) from the cash registers to (presumably) the accounting department, just like the drive up tellers at banks today. Craftsman and Kenmore were - quite rightly - highly respected brands back then. Heck, in addition to "vintage" Craftsman hand tools, I still use a Kenmore canister vacuum cleaner that must be 40 years old or so.

And of course, nearly everything was Made In USA, and people usually used cash - sometimes checks - rather than credit cards.

Up until the 1980s if you found it in the Sears catalog it was quality you could put your money into and expect to last.

When my parents built their house in the mid 80s they picked out Kenmore appliances because they were the best value for the dollar both money and quality wise. The stove and dishwasher lasted 20 years, refrigerator 30 years (and was only replaced because Mom redid the kitchen). Dad bought Craftsman tools up until the 2000s, because they were the cheapest wrenches and sockets that didn’t slip or break.

I remember the big Sears catalogs but sadly that all stopped in early 90s. After that it was pretty much all downhill. 
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!