Author Topic: Rittenhouse trial  (Read 53021 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Rittenhouse trial
« on: September 18, 2021, 10:48:36 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/prosecutors-cant-show-kyle-rittenhouse-proud-boys

Looks like Kyle Rittenhouse might have a halfway decent judge for his trial.  Judge says persecution can’t use at trial any affiliation with the Proud Boys, or the alleged altercation with a female (which now appears to have been in defense of his sister, not some random or “racist” assault) from a month or so before the Kenosha shootings. And while he deferred ruling on a video where Rittenhouse said he would like to shoot looters, the judge did say he was inclined to exclude that too.

There’s also a motion to dismiss the underage possession charge that has been deferred.  Be interesting to see if that gets tossed.  From my reading of the relevant WI law I think it should be.  Granted, I think all of the charges should be dismissed.   

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Rittenhouse trial
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 10:56:05 AM »
There’s also a motion to dismiss the underage possession charge that has been deferred.  Be interesting to see if that gets tossed.  From my reading of the relevant WI law I think it should be.  Granted, I think all of the charges should be dismissed.

Regardless of any "dumb kid" stuff he did before or after the incident, every bit of evidence shown to the public so far shows a clear case of self defense. He should be found not guilty. I imagine that there will be George Floyd levels of "peaceful" protests when that happens.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »
If he gets off the autistic screeching from the left will be beyond any level seen previously

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 11:22:19 AM »
Who should be on trial is the Democrat Governor that allowed these violent and destructive ‘protests’ to go on for political gain. If the governor had been doing his job, Kyle wouldn’t have been there and armed to begin with and wouldn’t have had to face down multiple violent threats against him.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 12:00:26 PM »
If he gets off the autistic screeching from the left will be beyond any level seen previously

Russians!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 03:00:02 PM »
Regardless of any "dumb kid" stuff he did before or after the incident, every bit of evidence shown to the public so far shows a clear case of self defense. He should be found not guilty. I imagine that there will be George Floyd levels of "peaceful" protests when that happens.

The deceased scumbags were white, so maybe not.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 04:12:36 PM »
This sounds like good news for Kyle.  I hope it turns out that way and some "politician" doesn't try to pull the rug out from under him and his attorneys.

Rather than quote all the previous posts, I'll just say I agree with all of them.  Keep us posted as this is the first news I have heard about this in weeks.
  [popcorn]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 05:19:37 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 07:33:48 AM »
I really want to see if they successfully squash mention of his assailants' records...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 11:01:00 AM »
I really want to see if they successfully squash mention of his assailants' records...

They probably will -- that's firmly established legal precedent (if not principle). It shouldn't make any difference. Rittenhouse was assaulted, and he acted in self defense. That's all that should matter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 11:26:37 AM »
Hmmmm. . . good question. Thinking back to the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin incident, I remember the press and the prosecution were digging deep into Zimmerman's past, hoping they could portray him as some sort of white hispanic mixture of Simon Legree, David Duke, and (of course) Hitler. This was considered right and proper. But when the defense happened to mention that THC from pot smoking was found in Martin's autopsy, and when unflattering pix of Martin began circulating on the internet, the press and prosecution were apoplectic in their outrage.

I won't be surprised to see something similar in the Rittenhouse trial - but without the racial component since shooter and shootees weren't black. (On the other hand, it WAS a typically peaceful BLM protest, right?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »
Force Expert: Rittenhouse Decisions to Shoot Were Reasonable

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2021-10-04/rittenhouse-due-in-court-for-likely-final-motions-hearing

KENOSHA, Wis. (AP) — An Illinois man who shot three people during a protest over police brutality in Wisconsin last year was justified because the men confronted him and two of them tried to wrestle his gun away, a use-of-force expert called by the defense testified at a pretrial hearing Tuesday.

While I agree that Rittenhouse's actions were justified, I'm not sure what difference it will make.  This is a political prosecution, so the facts don't really matter.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 11:19:39 AM »
Even if they let him go every SJW race baiting lawyer and activist within a 500 mile radius will make his life a living hell.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »
Force Expert: Rittenhouse Decisions to Shoot Were Reasonable

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2021-10-04/rittenhouse-due-in-court-for-likely-final-motions-hearing

While I agree that Rittenhouse's actions were justified, I'm not sure what difference it will make.  This is a political prosecution, so the facts don't really matter.
The main difference is none of the people shot were brown.  Not sure if that will make a difference or not.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 11:27:31 AM »
The main difference is none of the people shot were brown.  Not sure if that will make a difference or not.

They were there for a "brown cause".
I'm sure something along those lines will be used against him
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 11:34:23 AM »
Why just "brown" and not "black"?!? Are you guys shading people?!? Racists! Nazis!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »
I hope he learns from OJ and Zimmerman and disappears.  Go to live quietly somewhere in a small red county.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »
I hope he learns from OJ and Zimmerman and disappears.  Go to live quietly somewhere in a small red county.

Both make the news from time to time usually after doing something stupid.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »
Why just "brown" and not "black"?!? Are you guys shading people?!? Racists! Nazis!

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »

I dunno. I'm a firm believer in "not guilty" for this trial, but he's a kid, and has already made some dumb choices outside of this. I'm afraid he'll end up in the news like Zimmerman. Maybe not from consciously doing something stupid, but from "kid" doing something stupid. As an unknown kid, no one would take notice, because kids do dumb stuff, but he is going to be followed around by media for years.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »

He might not be allowed to disappear for a loooong time.  If they have to the left will send useful idiots to bait him into doing something they can portray as stupid.

Zimmerman was stupid enough they didn’t need to bait him. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 12:07:54 PM »
I dunno. I'm a firm believer in "not guilty" for this trial, but he's a kid, and has already made some dumb choices outside of this. I'm afraid he'll end up in the news like Zimmerman. Maybe not from consciously doing something stupid, but from "kid" doing something stupid. As an unknown kid, no one would take notice, because kids do dumb stuff, but he is going to be followed around by media for years.

Yes, leftists can be hateful, vindictive, and hold grudges.  Look at the one guy who shot at Zimmerman after seeing him driving around.  He doesn't have to do anything stupid for this to follow him.  That will happen no matter what. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2021, 01:29:00 PM »
Young Mr. Rittenhouse will be going to jail.  This is a political trial that he cannot win, regardless whether he is guilty or not.  (For the record, I believe he acted in self-defense and is therefore not guilty.)  He really needs to be thinking about how he is going to survive in the big house.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2021, 01:44:56 PM »
Young Mr. Rittenhouse will be going to jail.  This is a political trial that he cannot win, regardless whether he is guilty or not.  (For the record, I believe he acted in self-defense and is therefore not guilty.)  He really needs to be thinking about how he is going to survive in the big house.

The judge seems to be trying to be fair, unlike the Chauvin judge.  So, maybe he has half a chance.  Depends on the jury.

But I agree with you otherwise.  If he does wind up in prison he will most likely spend a LOT of time in solitary confinement.  For his safety.  Which it will be to some extent, but also as a means of torturing him.  The government in WI is not happy with him, obviously, and will do everything they can to break him. 

He’s over 18 now, so he won’t go to juvie.  His best bet will probably be to get with the Jesus freaks, or some non-gang group that can still offer a degree of protection if he’s not in solitary.  Worst thing he could do would be to align with a white gang like Aryan Nation.  That would just harden the perception that he was a white supremacist from the beginning. 

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2021, 02:04:02 PM »
If he’s convicted on the murder/attempted murder/assault counts he will go to a maximum security prison.  Violent offenses like that automatically get you sent there, regardless of any other potential considerations.

If he only gets convicted on the minor in possession of a weapon charge he likely would get probation or perhaps a short stint on a medium or even low security prison.  That is a misdemeanor so I don’t think it’s possible to sentence him to more than a year, and doubtful could send him to maximum security on it alone.