Author Topic: Cumbre Vieja volcano, Canary Islands  (Read 986 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Cumbre Vieja volcano, Canary Islands
« on: September 19, 2021, 04:23:29 PM »
It's erupting. Has geologists and taunami experts in a twist over a potential mega-tsunami event.

https://youtu.be/CmQVquojJfo

Lots of long-standing concern as the western flank of Cumbre Vieja is unstable. If it decides to peel off, effects will span multiple continents, including the US eastern seaboard.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Cumbre Vieja volcano, Canary Islands
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 04:34:21 PM »
I blame Trump and the NRA, as well as globular warmulating.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 04:46:49 PM »
Been nice knowing you, K-frame.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 07:13:36 PM »
It's erupting. Has geologists and taunami experts in a twist over a potential mega-tsunami event . . .
How far up the Potomac can we count on it to reach?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 07:54:08 PM »
Can the tsunami inundate Manhattan?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 07:01:42 AM »
Been nice knowing you, K-frame.

I can tread water.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 02:47:39 PM »
So why are they worried about a sunami?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 04:26:12 PM »
So why are they worried about a sunami?

The island is very steep sided and geologically unstable. A big chunk of the island shifted down several meters during a previous eruption. If the section destabilizes enough to detach and slide into the sea, the resulting displacement is capable of producing major tsunamis all along western Europe and eastern America. Worst-case models show waves potentially high as 30ft along the eastern US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6utAunBKXV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4T8a1K5tw

Brad
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:39:11 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 04:37:19 PM »
I can tread water.

That ain't water in a tsunami.  It's more like a slightly wetter version of what comes out of a concrete mixer.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 04:46:35 PM »
I remember reading about this years ago.

Still don't know what I'm supposed to do with this information.

I don't live on that coast and I don't have anyone close to me who does.

It's like the super-volcano or a meteor strike or the planet shifting it's poles or some super nova taking out our electronics and the like. Out of my hands.

So I just throw it on the pile of "what-can-I-do-about-it?" items.

Sure, there might be a huge economic impact from an avalanche there; but I live in an agricultural area that grows abundant foodstuffs, usually has plenty of water, generates more hydro-power than we can use, and has numerous folks who know how and can do to keep things at least limping along.

So we'll mostly be fine.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 08:22:03 PM »
Watch it head straight for Haiti  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 04:03:27 PM »
The island is very steep sided and geologically unstable. A big chunk of the island shifted down several meters during a previous eruption. If the section destabilizes enough to detach and slide into the sea, the resulting displacement is capable of producing major tsunamis all along western Europe and eastern America. Worst-case models show waves potentially high as 30ft along the eastern US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6utAunBKXV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4T8a1K5tw

Brad

I thought it was 30m.  So more like 100ft.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 02:20:34 PM »
I thought it was 30m.  So more like 100ft.

The height of a tsunami depends on how shallow the water becomes.  Its height may be 30 feet when in deep water but as the continental shelf makes the water more shallow, the wave both slows down and increases in height.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 06:07:33 PM »
Watch it head straight for Haiti  :facepalm:
Haiti is on the western side of Hispaniola - it looks like only it's northern shore would be vulnerable to a tsunami. (Unless - do tsunamis wrap around islands?) Dominican Republic on the eastern side of the island looks potentially more exposed. I guess the vulnerability would depend on how fast the land rises on those shores.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain