Author Topic: Sumpnz should save us a self-driving truck  (Read 408 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Sumpnz should save us a self-driving truck
« on: October 02, 2021, 10:38:47 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/bellevues-paccar-leads-the-way-with-driverless-zero-emission-trucks/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_f&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3iD858z-gSy08ag5LvUP2zIXlNhd2_59R6qYjn_wKoFL9_afr0xp9eDaU#Echobox=1633036657

Maybe my information is dated, but I had heard that for most driverless truck experiments, the truck drives itself on the highway and a human driver takes over for the 'last mile' in terms of driving on city streets to the terminal and parking.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
Re: Sumpnz should save us a self-driving truck
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 02:33:28 PM »
I guess as the truck gets near its destination, it pulls over and waits for a "pilot" like the big ships crossing the ocean wait for a harbor pilot in order to enter a harbor.  [popcorn]

I wonder what that job will pay ...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 03:23:09 AM »
I haven’t totally kept up on it but last I saw it was good for geofenced areas only.  Some of what are better termed ADAS features work well.  Lane keeping assist, automatic emergency braking, adaptive as well as predictive cruise control, etc.  Full autonomy is not ready for prime time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 05:14:02 PM »
Maneuvering a trailer in tight spaces might be a better job for automation.  Or some sort of computer guidance. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 05:46:48 PM »
Maneuvering a trailer in tight spaces might be a better job for automation.  Or some sort of computer guidance.

I keep seeing this Buick commercial with the annoying women that seems to show the car parallel parking itself. I don't know if it was accurate to the car's capabilities or a little advertising misdirection, but certainly that type of capability might be more popular with car drivers than the car driving itself for 500 miles on a straight highway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 09:47:31 PM »
I keep seeing this Buick commercial with the annoying women that seems to show the car parallel parking itself. I don't know if it was accurate to the car's capabilities or a little advertising misdirection, but certainly that type of capability might be more popular with car drivers than the car driving itself for 500 miles on a straight highway.
Someone I know was watching a bunch of youtube videos showing inexperienced truck drivers trying to get parked or having to circle around a number of times.  That is what I was thinking of.

At least if an experienced driver could stay local and spend all day driving trucks in to offload the trailers, it would be a local job rather than driving cross country.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge