Author Topic: Halfway or so there...  (Read 877 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Halfway or so there...
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:26:46 AM »
Got my first 20 bags of pellets laid in yesterday. My friend helped me get them into the car and into the house.

Getting them into the house in the past has been the absolute killer because of the steps. Carrying the bags up the steps to my front door would get rough after awhile.

This way? Dave stood on the top step outside the front door, I pulled the bag out of the car, threw it on my shoulder, and only stepped up 1 or 2 steps instead of all of them. He grabbed the bag off my shoulder and dropped it in my dining room where I store them for the winter.

Got double the amount of pellets loaded into the house in about half the time that it takes me.

Going to get another 20 bags today, and I'll be set for winter.

And my Forester for the win!

It squatted a bit under the weight but handled it like a trooper.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Halfway or so there...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 08:45:31 AM »
I've never heard of the Isuzu Trooper being lauded for it's handling.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 08:47:13 AM »

Them's fightin' words! If they still made Troopers in the US, I'd still be driving one. I loved my 2000 Trooper.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 08:51:54 AM »
Didn't say the Trooper wasn't a decent soccer mom SUV,  just that it wasn't renowned for it's handling.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »
Despite the actual number of steps, the apparent number of steps increases by one every year.

Be warned.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 08:48:43 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 07:52:47 AM »
Sitting next to a very large stash of stove pellets right now. Gonna be warm this winter!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 09:54:51 PM »
DW ordered a cord of oak this afternoon.  Last year is was $125/cord.  This year, the price has doubled and they've added a $50 delivery charge.

Hopefully he'll remember his kid got stuck in my yard last year, he said he'd "take care of us" this year.  We're still trying to fill in the ruts.

I've still got the better part of a cord left, most of the new one will likely be used next year.  If I'd had time this year, I've got a dead oak near the road that's got to come down.  I'll have to take it down soon, even if I don't cut it to fireplace size.  Don't want it rotting in place or falling on the road.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 10:11:38 PM »
I take it you never saw Joe Isuzu praising the vehicle?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 05:12:41 PM »
DW ordered a cord of oak this afternoon.  Last year is was $125/cord.  This year, the price has doubled and they've added a $50 delivery charge.

Hopefully he'll remember his kid got stuck in my yard last year, he said he'd "take care of us" this year.  We're still trying to fill in the ruts.

I've still got the better part of a cord left, most of the new one will likely be used next year.  If I'd had time this year, I've got a dead oak near the road that's got to come down.  I'll have to take it down soon, even if I don't cut it to fireplace size.  Don't want it rotting in place or falling on the road.
I have gas heat, but my brother and aunt have wood burners as back up.  I am planning to get with my Dad to get some cut up for them.  It won't be cords, but enough for a few days if the power goes out.  I would get some too if I had a fireplace.  I might look at something to use as a fire pit in the patio area outside my house. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 06:25:03 PM »
We've got a small fireplace in the living room that we use as a supplement to the electric heat, or as a backup in case the electricity goes out.  Fortunately, we've only lost power (for more than a few hours) once.  That once was worth having the fireplace - it happened during an ice storm and lasted for >72hrs.  Got sorta chilly.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 07:45:56 AM »
When I first started talking about getting a pellet stove multiple people told me I'd need a back up power source or I'd be without heat in a power outage.

I've not lost power in the winter for more than a few minutes in the nearly 30 years I've lived in my house.

And besides, with an all electric house, the potential wouldn't be any different.

If push came to shove I could put something together with a pure sine wave inverter and a deep cycle marine battery, but I'm simply not worried about it. Hell, a 750 watt inverter would be more than enough to run my pellet stove and an LED light to two.

I've always said that if I had a home with gas heat I wouldn't have a pellet stove simply because gas is warm and it's still pretty cheap (although that's looking to be a bit different this year... Let's Go Brandon!).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 07:57:39 AM »
When I first started talking about getting a pellet stove multiple people told me I'd need a back up power source or I'd be without heat in a power outage.

I've not lost power in the winter for more than a few minutes in the nearly 30 years I've lived in my house.

My first couple of years here, Other than a couple of brownouts/couple of minute outages, I had maybe two outages that lasted under a couple of hours. For some reason this year I have had going on a dozen outages that lasted 1-4 hours. still not critical, but there must be something wonky going on with the infrastructure in my area.

Anyway, glad for the woodstove, as four hours in DEC can cool the house down pretty fast, and under 8-ish hours, it's not worth it for me to roll out the generator and hook that up, especially at zero dark thirty. A big plus is my recent discovery that the gas fireplace switch works when the power is out. Even without the blower, the gas fireplace can heat up the living room pretty well, and its placement relative to the wood stove helps get heat into the end of the house that doesn't easily catch wood stove heat, especially when the HVAC fan* is off in an outage. Between the two of them, I can easily keep the house comfortable without power.

*I've been running the HVAC fan on "circulate" (where it only comes on every few hours) for almost a year now, and have noticed a difference in both heating/cooling distribution within the house with I think a reduction in HVAC use. I think the slightly higher monthly electric use is canceled out by HVAC savings.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 08:45:19 AM »
I run my HVAC fan pretty much 24x7x365 and have for almost 30 years.

As you said, it helps keep temperatures more even throughout the house, but the big issue for me is it helps keep the air a lot cleaner. That's a huge thing for me with my allergies and also with the amount of dust and dirt Seren can bring in on her paws and coat.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
I run my HVAC fan pretty much 24x7x365 and have for almost 30 years.

As you said, it helps keep temperatures more even throughout the house, but the big issue for me is it helps keep the air a lot cleaner. That's a huge thing for me with my allergies and also with the amount of dust and dirt Seren can bring in on her paws and coat.

Yeah, besides the filter on the HVAC fan, I'm also running two air purifiers - one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Even with the HVAC fan running, those two portables still catch a LOT of extra dust. I have it on my calendar to vacuum their filters once a month, and the filters are always pretty full. Between the dog and living in the country in the dusty, dry, West, it's easy to get dust and pollen in the house.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 10:17:54 AM »
I should probably get an air purifier for my bedroom for the summer and fall months, but I've never gotten around to it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »
If anyone has any recommendations for a good air purifier with reusable filters or electrostatic grids, I am all ears.  I have looked at some purifiers with disposable filters, and holy moly, the cost of replacement filters!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
If anyone has any recommendations for a good air purifier with reusable filters or electrostatic grids, I am all ears.  I have looked at some purifiers with disposable filters, and holy moly, the cost of replacement filters!

I used to use Rabbit Airs, which  I thought were really good, but the filters were outrageous and were getting hard to find when my units were discontinued.

I'm now using these Winix purifiers, and have been really happy:

https://www.amazon.com/Winix-5500-2-Purifier-PlasmaWave-Reducing/dp/B01D8DAYII?ref_=ast_sto_dp

You can turn the plasmawave off if you want. Some reviewers claim that it is not ozone free.

OEM filter sets are $50, 3rd party about 60% of that. You can vacuum the filters, and the permanent prefilter catches a LOT of stuff.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 03:44:08 PM »
Just did a little searching diy air filter systems... A box fan and four 20x20 MERV 12 filters will set me back about $50... May hang one of those in an unused ceiling corner.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 07:12:33 AM »
Just did a little searching diy air filter systems... A box fan and four 20x20 MERV 12 filters will set me back about $50... May hang one of those in an unused ceiling corner.

I did the box and and filter trick at my Mother's house for years. Big, old, dusty Victorian. It made a noticeable difference in air quality.