Author Topic: Question on Glock grip angle, magazines  (Read 1544 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Question on Glock grip angle, magazines
« on: October 02, 2021, 10:22:08 PM »
My question is about alternative frames for Glock handguns, that have a different grip angle than the Glock-brand Glock. The question is, how can they use Glock magazines? I would think the change in angle would make it necessary to use a different magazine. Or a change in the slide, barrel, lockwork, etc. But apparently not. What is this devilry?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: Question on Glock grip angle, magazines
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 07:13:50 AM »
You can adjust the grip angle a couple of degrees and keep the mag angle the same by playing with how much frame material, and it's  shape, is in front and behind the magwell. You can also move the grip a little in relation to the feed ramp and barrel to get some wiggle room.

The differences are all pretty small. So it's not the crazy enginerding it might seem at first.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 10:02:17 AM »
Any one in particular you're looking at?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 10:14:40 AM »
Any one in particular you're looking at?

Polymer 80

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 07:11:36 AM »
If you have any specific  questions, let me know. I have 4 P80's, and one of them is my main run and gun pistol, so I use it pretty  hard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 10:47:10 AM »
I have heard P80 frames have a slightly different grip angle.  Not the same as a 1911, but sort of halfway between that and a standard Glock.  Maybe it is just some frames.

I have looked around a little for Glock 20/21 frames, but I am not sure anyone makes them.  With Springfield releasing their new compact 10mm, I may look at that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 01:08:08 AM »
If you have any specific  questions, let me know. I have 4 P80's, and one of them is my main run and gun pistol, so I use it pretty  hard.

By run and gun you mean for competition, or defensive shooting classes or?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 05:11:30 AM »
By run and gun you mean for competition, or defensive shooting classes or?

Defensive shooting classes and my ranges weekly combo shooting/obstacle course competition. I'm on my 5th case of 9mm for the year, and 90% of that went through my one P80.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:13:15 AM by dogmush »

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 11:31:33 AM »
I just picked up a Shadow Systems DR920 (G17) and use the straighter backstrap.  Points much better for me as I naturally point low with Glocks.   This is more of a 1911 feel.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 03:09:56 PM »
I have looked around a little for Glock 20/21 frames, but I am not sure anyone makes them.  With Springfield releasing their new compact 10mm, I may look at that.

https://www.armorally.com/shop/polymer80-pf45-pistol-frame-kit/

I picked one up a while back when they were on sale, but I haven't found a parts kit for it yet. Everyone is sold out. I've got a 6" 10mm slide waiting.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:22 PM »
I have a 10mm P80.  It's fun, but as bedlamite said, parts are hard to get.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 04:54:18 PM »
Defensive shooting classes and my ranges weekly combo shooting/obstacle course competition. I'm on my 5th case of 9mm for the year, and 90% of that went through my one P80.

Cool. That's the kind of thing I was hoping to do with my P80. Still buying parts.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 05:55:42 PM »
https://www.armorally.com/shop/polymer80-pf45-pistol-frame-kit/

I picked one up a while back when they were on sale, but I haven't found a parts kit for it yet. Everyone is sold out. I've got a 6" 10mm slide waiting.
Thank You.  I have a G20 and G21.  I will have to see what if anything is different.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »
I just picked up a Shadow Systems DR920 (G17) and use the straighter backstrap.  Points much better for me as I naturally point low with Glocks.   This is more of a 1911 feel.
I thought the 1911 was closer to square or a 90 degree angle than the Glock.  When I point a Glock and look, the front sight is high.

https://progunleaders.org/Grip/
The 1911 grip angle (all 1911 variants, Springfield XD, etc.) is more nearly square to the slide (about 18 degrees off square), while the Glock grip angle (Luger, Steyr M series, H&K P7, Ruger Mk II, etc.) is more raked (about 22 degrees off square).

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »
I always wonder if that's something folks genuinely have a problem with, or another example of Internet gunnies tendency to be fussy, obsessive and argumentative.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »
I thought the 1911 was closer to square or a 90 degree angle than the Glock.  When I point a Glock and look, the front sight is high.

https://progunleaders.org/Grip/

Must be remembering it backwards--it's been a while since I Glocked.  and I'm old...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 12:30:36 PM »
I always wonder if that's something folks genuinely have a problem with, or another example of Internet gunnies tendency to be fussy, obsessive and argumentative.

9mm vs .45 all over again. Pick the gun up and shoot it. People are way too dramatic in all aspects of life. I am a horrible shot right now, I get to shoot maybe four times a year. No time and no ammo. Went to a bowling pin shoot last month with two differently gripped glocks, 3 1911s all different, and a revolver. Won half the strings I shot, second in the rest. See the target, hit it. That’s why I always excelled shooting matches in horrible weather and set personal bests running 5ks in the rain. Everyone else invests in crying about the weather. Sucks for everyone, do the job.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 12:59:44 PM »
I own Glocks.  I can shoot them.  I am just used to the 1911 grip angle and most of my pistols use that angle.  So when I aim a Glock, there is always that split second where I have to readjust the front sight a little.  If all I shot was Glock, I am sure I would adjust. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 01:06:03 PM »
I find the grip angle issue only rears up at the edge of performance.  When I am trying to get the Draw-Fire-A-zone hit down to .8 sec from .95 sec being used to the grip angle matters.  I can train for either, but I need to be on the one I've been working on for best results.

Trying to get a hit in under 1.5sec?  Yeah whatever battlefield pickup I have can probably make that happen.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 05:27:29 PM »
9mm vs .45 all over again. Pick the gun up and shoot it. People are way too dramatic in all aspects of life. I am a horrible shot right now, I get to shoot maybe four times a year. No time and no ammo. Went to a bowling pin shoot last month with two differently gripped glocks, 3 1911s all different, and a revolver. Won half the strings I shot, second in the rest. See the target, hit it. That’s why I always excelled shooting matches in horrible weather and set personal bests running 5ks in the rain. Everyone else invests in crying about the weather. Sucks for everyone, do the job.

I used to like a little rain while I was running. Back when I used to run.

The day I qualified with the M16 at Fort Benning, it was raining, and I ended up lying prone in about a half-inch of standing water. Most fun I'd had in weeks.

Yeah, I don't complain about the weather. Unless it gets above 60...

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 05:45:27 PM »
I have heard P80 frames have a slightly different grip angle.  Not the same as a 1911, but sort of halfway between that and a standard Glock.  Maybe it is just some frames.

Look at Lonewolf Timberwolf frames. I purchased on 2 years ago for my Glock 20. Full size frame, all internals. Been pretty happy with it. No issues.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 09:39:40 AM »
I used to think grip angle was a thing- it’s not. If you can shoot a 1911 well, you’ll shoot a Glock well too.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2021, 10:41:54 AM »
IMO, it is a preference thing and not a show stopper by any means. 

However, there are so many quality firearms choices on the market these days that you can indulge your preferences and still get a good pistol.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 09:46:24 PM »
Speaking of Glocks, some gun store folks made a whole video about how a bunch of their new gun buyers were bringing their guns back to exchange for something else. They said the most common reason was that they had purchased a Glock just because they know Glocks are super-duper guns used by everyone, and didn't realize there was no manual safety. Or they just couldn't get comfortable without a safety.

I guess it had never occurred to me before that people would either buy without knowing about the safety thing, or would change their minds about the need for a safety right off the bat.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 11:10:01 PM »
I lol'd from the moment I bought a glock back in 2001 at the "safety." It is very much not a gun for casual users. You ought to know what you are doing to either not shoot yourself or to use it effectively. The re-holstering under stress and the pull bang switch to disassemble are the two glock weak points. Other than that the four rules covers you.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.