Author Topic: Let's Go Brandon!  (Read 18773 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2021, 09:08:53 AM »
Make America Great Depended Again
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2021, 10:19:00 AM »
. . . I can't grasp anyone who walks upright would vote for any Democrat for any reason . . .
That's been my opinion ever since Obamacare - passed EXCLUSIVELY by Democrats - negatively impacted me in three very personal ways. (Couldn't keep my plan, couldn't keep my doctor, and my costs skyrocketed.)

So far, the only POTUS during my lifetime that was worse than Biden was LBJ.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2021, 11:15:24 AM »
Economic forces are also directly affected by the primary motivator of those forces -- the price of crude oil, which provides feed stock for vast amounts of the manufacturing processes required to make goods as well as the cost of the fuel that is used to transport those goods to market.

Brandon's activities have had a big hand in pushing the price of crude higher, and it's pretty apparent that he's not yet done.

Worse, his activities are also putting a LOT of pressure on the only other viable fuel stocks tied to economic production in the United States -- natural gas and coal.

Brandon has, in essence, fired the opening shots on a war on domestic energy production. I've said more than once, and I'll say it again, that he's out for revenge for the American economy proving Obama wrong when we DID, very successfully, drill our way to lower gas (and overall fuel) prices and made ourselves energy independent, to boot.

Counterpoint, here's US domestic crude oil production:

Note, the massive drop in production started on 4/3/2020.  This suggests that the covid-19 crisis had a huge impact on production.  Biden's anti-energy policies certainly aren't helping, but they aren't causal to the big drop.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2021, 11:19:07 AM »
Counterpoint, here's US domestic crude oil production:

Note, the massive drop in production started on 4/3/2020.  This suggests that the covid-19 crisis had a huge impact on production.  Biden's anti-energy policies certainly aren't helping, but they aren't causal to the big drop.
Didn't demand drop off for a while in the US as the lock downs started? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2021, 12:03:13 PM »
"Note, the massive drop in production started on 4/3/2020.  This suggests that the covid-19 crisis had a huge impact on production.  Biden's anti-energy policies certainly aren't helping, but they aren't causal to the big drop."

That chart is not really a counterpoint.

At all.

Of course US production dropped like mad starting in April last year.

Why?

Because global prices fell off a cliff and burrowed in with the start of lockdowns, which saw a huge reduction in world-wide demand.

The price per barrel actually fell to below $0... yes, ZERO dollars a barrel, for a short period the impact was so severe.

Since that time, however, a number of things have happened.

In an effort to support prices, OPEC+ began a series of production cutbacks and limits that continue.

International demand has plotted a slow, but not always steady, recovery.

Recovering demand and tightening supplies have supported price increases for both crude oil and refined fuels.

In November 2020 Biden, who ran on a green agenda that vowed to go to war with fossil fuel production in the United States,  beat Trump in the presidential election. Crude oil prices began a steep jump.

In January of this year, Biden took office and began a series of steps that quickly resulted in the US going from a net oil exporter (energy independent) to a net oil importer (energy dependent on OPEC+ and other foreign producers) by cancelling the Keystone Pipeline, adding strict limits on drilling on Federal land (including on land where verified reserves are located), and has repeatedly threatened similar limitations on shale production.

The result? Crude and overall energy prices continued to surge through the summer months.

However, over the summer, in response to rapidly inflating prices, Biden begged OPEC+ to increase production. OPEC's response? Screw you, Brandon.

Normally a sharp increase in prices would result in a sharp increase in US production. But the anti-US energy steps that the Biden administration has imposed have largely throttled any US production comeback, which has done nothing but support the price jumps we've seen over the past 12 months.

Last month, for the second time this year, Biden begged OPEC+ to increase production. Guess what the answer was? Screw you, Brandon.

Think that would give cause for pause?

If by pause you mean pausing even MORE US oil supplies, well, you'd be sort of right. We're getting word that Biden is seriously considering shutting down a pipeline in Michigan that brings a steady supply of Canadian oil into US refineries. That's not a planned pipeline, it's a production pipeline, one that has been online for years.

Any idea what shutting down that pipeline and its 500,000+ barrel of oil a day supply would do to prices AND fuel supplies heading into the winter months?

Oh, and around the same time the Biden administration flat out passed on imposing sanctions on a Russia to Germany gas pipeline "because its' almost completely finished."

So yeah, your chart certainly shows the US's average crude production having bottomed out.

But it sure as hell doesn't explain why US average crude production hasn't recovered sharply in response to tight supply and increasing prices. The answer to that is Biden's widening anti domestic fossil fuel jihad.

And that, is as Paul Harvey used to say, the rest of the story.

And it's the major reason why you're seeing your pump price spike, why you're seeing consumer prices spike, and why heating your home this year is going to cost you one hell of a lot more than it has since the Obama administration.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »
Wow, thanks for the write up, Mike.

Well argued.  By and large I agree.  Anti-energy federal policies aren't helping production, at any rate.  I do disagree with a few points.

The price per barrel actually fell to below $0... yes, ZERO dollars a barrel, for a short period the impact was so severe.

Sort of.  Futures contracts traded below $0, I don't think the actual commodity ever did.

In January of this year, Biden took office and began a series of steps that quickly resulted in the US going from a net oil exporter (energy independent) to a net oil importer

I'm not sure about this... If we are a net importer, it's only by thin margins.  https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=49596

Normally a sharp increase in prices would result in a sharp increase in US production.

Historically, isn't this a rather delayed reaction that takes 6 months to a year before those sharp increases in production result in lowered prices?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »
"Sort of.  Futures contracts traded below $0, I don't think the actual commodity ever did."

A futures contract is a contract that sets the price of a commodity at a defined point in the future. When you purchase a futures contract, you set the price of that commodity at that moment in time.

When the futures contracts dropped below $0, the actual price of crude oil dropped below zero. However, in the case of oil, the futures contracts continued to drop below zero (at one point hitting $-30 something a barrel). Obviously traders weren't purchasing futures contracts because of the negative returns. That pegged the actual price of oil at that time at $0 a barrel.

So yes. The actual price of the commodity was $0 for a time.

"I'm not sure about this... If we are a net importer, it's only by thin margins.  https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=49596"

Just wait another 6 months. The full effect of Biden's new anti-domestic energy policies are still playing out, and will continue to play out. It's not like flicking a switch and turning a light on or off. It takes time for the full effect of those policies to be realized. In another year the story is very likely to be far, far different than it is today, and FAR less positive for American energy independence.

"Historically, isn't this a rather delayed reaction that takes 6 months to a year before those sharp increases in production result in lowered prices?"

Of course it is. But we're well past the 6 month time frame that you're talking about and that rebound of US production has NOT happened despite crude prices nearly doubling in that time. US production is pretty much stagnant and has been since Biden took office.

Of course, part of that could be blamed on multiple effects of the pandemic-related price collapse in 2020...

Until you realize that there's virtually chatter among major US oil producers to expand production any time soon, in large part due to the increasingly hostile political environment now facing those companies. Many (especially smaller ones that have survived the crash) are worried that rapid investments in reopening existing, or developing new, fields could be crushed at the stroke of a pen.

The cancellation of the Keystone pipeline virtually on day one of the Biden administration was all of the warning that many of these companies needed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2021, 03:04:49 PM »
Live Free or Die is overrated.  That doesn't seem to actually work around NH.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2021, 03:55:27 PM »
I work with pipeline welders. Who are working for a lot less than accustomed to with me because pipeline work came to a crashing halt even before the inauguration.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2021, 04:04:08 PM »
It wasn't just futures.  The spot price of Crude for immediate delivery went negative in April of 2020 do to the sudden stop of the world's economy.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/wti_crude_oil_spot_price

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2021, 04:14:48 PM »
It wasn't just futures.  The spot price of Crude for immediate delivery went negative in April of 2020 do to the sudden stop of the world's economy.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/wti_crude_oil_spot_price

Thanks.  I stand corrected.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2021, 09:32:48 PM »
I work with pipeline welders. Who are working for a lot less than accustomed to with me because pipeline work came to a crashing halt even before the inauguration.

Tell them they ought to be thankful for Biden’s amazing economy and that maybe they ought to learn to code.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »
Wholesale prices rise 8.6% year over year in October, tied for highest ever

-- Surging prices for gasoline and autos helped push the increase which was tilted far more to goods than services. One-third of the increase in goods prices came from soaring gasoline, with prices rising 6.7%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/09/wholesale-prices-rise-8point6percent-year-over-year-in-october-tied-for-highest-ever.html

And that, folks, is what skyrocketing fuel prices can do to inflation. It literally makes it more expensive at every step of the product lifecycle.

And if Brandon has his way, it's going to get a LOT worse.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2021, 09:42:41 AM »

-- Surging prices for gasoline and autos

Many new car lots were/are almost bare due to a lack of certain parts. Bet dealers were/are charging a premium for what they had on lot with all of it's parts
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2021, 09:45:41 AM »
Yep, and that also affected the price of used cars, as well.

I heard some people talking that in some markets a used car was bringing as much as a new car simply because new weren't available and used were in such short supply.

I'm glad that I grabbed my 2015 Subaru when I did

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2021, 09:53:16 AM »
Many new car lots were/are almost bare due to a lack of certain parts. Bet dealers were/are charging a premium for what they had on lot with all of it's parts
Got the inspection done on my Tacoma last week.  The local dealership just has a handful of new vehicles on the lot.  I didn't see many salespeople wandering around.  The service was pretty good.  Probably their main business right now. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »

I heard some people talking that in some markets a used car was bringing as much as a new car simply because new weren't available and used were in such short supply.

I'm glad that I grabbed my 2015 Subaru when I did

I have seen 5 year old trucks in good condition for sale at a used car dealer for what the Ford and Chevy websites say you can order a new one for.  (they don't say how long it takes for delivery, or even if they can deliver)  And those used trucks sold; it took a few weeks, but then they were gone.

I paid $12000 for a 2007 Silverado 2500HD a few months ago at a dealer in Texas.  I thought that was about $3000 too high, but I'd been looking for over 2 years.  When I stopped by the previously mentioned used car dealer, they asked me if I wanted to sell it.  I think they would have sold it for at least $15000.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2021, 10:17:58 AM »
Holy freaking crap...

The largest Subaru dealership in Virginia, Stohlman, has 20 new Subarus in stock at the location nearest me. They have several other sites farther out, but holy crap...

TWENTY.

Last time I went looking actively, back in 2017 or so, they had over 200 new Subarus in stock.

They have ONE new Forester on the lot.

And ZERO Outbacks.

That's absolutely stunning.

On the used side they have 1 used vehicle priced under $10,000... a 2013 Honda Insight with nearly 70,000 miles.

They have 84 total used, including 21 Subarus and 41 Volkswagons (they're also a VW dealership).

Normally they would have 200 or more used vehicles, as well.

That's just stunning.

The dealership where I bought my 2015?

They have 18 new on the lot. Zero Foresters, zero Outbacks.

Used is a bit better at 102....

zahc

• friend
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »

And repairs! My van was in the shop a month waiting for parts. All the garages were slammed.

It's almost as if economies are interconnected.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »
I got caught up in that flusterlcuck when We bought our New Explorer the end of June and then had an airbag problem. 30 days in the shop waiting parts.
On the bright side it has been flawless since then.
A good friend of mine is the service manager at a large regional used car dealership. Good used vehicles are very scarce and go for stupid prices at auction. On top of that getting parts is a crap shoot at best.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2021, 12:46:24 PM »

-- Surging prices for gasoline and autos helped push the increase which was tilted far more to goods than services. One-third of the increase in goods prices came from soaring gasoline, with prices rising 6.7%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/09/wholesale-prices-rise-8point6percent-year-over-year-in-october-tied-for-highest-ever.html

And that, folks, is what skyrocketing fuel prices can do to inflation. It literally makes it more expensive at every step of the product lifecycle.

And if Brandon has his way, it's going to get a LOT worse.

I can't help but wonder if we are just a smidgeon away from Venezuelan-style hyperinflation.  What would nudge the country past the tipping point to make that happen?

I also find myself wondering if this isn't all being done intentionally to move the country away from a capitalist economy and fully into some form of authoritarian socialism.  Considering how comfortable folks are with the various covid mandates, such a move doesn't seem as farfetched to me as it used to.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2021, 12:51:26 PM »
Oh, and in case anyone is interested...

WTI Crude Oil prices are SURGING today.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2021, 01:19:07 PM »
"I can't help but wonder if we are just a smidgeon away from Venezuelan-style hyperinflation.  What would nudge the country past the tipping point to make that happen?"

I think we are a long, LONG way from an event such as that.

A painful period of high inflation? Yeah, I think that's a lot more likely.

Hyperinflation is generally considered to be inflation of 50% or higher... a MONTH.

Hyperinflation generally hits nations in which both internal and external real good supply chains have collapsed, most often due to internal or external (or both) strife combined with either the collapse of the government or the government's inability to balance its monetary supply to its gross domestic product.

Venezuela was unabashed in its printing of more money to pay for the Chavez-created social programs when it couldn't loot any more money from its oil production. The collapse of global oil prices after their runup to over $100 a barrel also decimated real income.

A number of former Soviet Bloc nations, including Russia, suffered periods of hyperinflation in 1992 as nations tried to sort out the after effects of the collapse of the Soviet Union.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »
"I can't help but wonder if we are just a smidgeon away from Venezuelan-style hyperinflation.  What would nudge the country past the tipping point to make that happen?"

I think we are a long, LONG way from an event such as that.

A painful period of high inflation? Yeah, I think that's a lot more likely.

Hyperinflation is generally considered to be inflation of 50% or higher... a MONTH.

Hyperinflation generally hits nations in which both internal and external real good supply chains have collapsed, most often due to internal or external (or both) strife combined with either the collapse of the government or the government's inability to balance its monetary supply to its gross domestic product.

Our domestic supply chain is under tremendous pressure and under-performing right now.  The number of container ships waiting offshore at US ports is at an extreme record high.  There are major shortages of container trailers, truck drivers, warehouse workers, etc.  Spare parts to keep the various mechanical parts of the chain functioning are simply not available.  Further evidence is the unprecedented shortages of retail goods in stores.
The supply chain is likely teetering right on the edge of collapse in my opinion.

Venezuela was unabashed in its printing of more money to pay for the Chavez-created social programs when it couldn't loot any more money from its oil production. The collapse of global oil prices after their runup to over $100 a barrel also decimated real income.

The Federal Reserve is not printing money in absolute record amounts right now?  Congress is not passing multi-trillion dollar legislation packages as we speak with no way to pay for them aside from the FR just printing more money?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2021, 02:00:45 PM »
Had a guy call trying to find a sensor for a 2009 Nissan... Forklift...
Blog under construction