Author Topic: Dash cams (again)  (Read 734 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Dash cams (again)
« on: October 01, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »
Some time ago I tried a dash cam that I had no luck with. I finally sent it off to Speedy and he was able to make it work, but I don't know how it's holding up. I'm back to thinking again about getting a dash cam, but I can't afford a high-dollar model. Amazon has several in the $25 to $50 range -- many of which even include a back-up camera.

Would any of these be worth a try?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dash+cam+front+and+rear&rh=n%3A172282%2Cp_n_price%3A1253504011&nav_sdd=aps&pd_rd_r=85a87518-98a9-4ea8-a35c-7af4d6e6c740&pd_rd_w=WhrKm&pd_rd_wg=K0Ylz&pf_rd_p=320aebf6-ff00-4c44-a7f4-29ae7eafffb0&pf_rd_r=TQDN53H4QCAT9VD9TBQ0&qid=1633109628&ref=sxts_sxts_ref_scx_alster_1
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:28:40 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Dash cams (again)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 02:37:56 AM »
I passed it, still working, along to a friend after getting the VanTrue N4 off Amazon.
https://www.vantrue.us/n4

The other dash cam worked well enough but the sun MELTED it a little though it still functioned. I found regular formatting of the memory cards made the recordings more reliable.

Why did I step up to the VanTrue? For the rear camera and the heat resistance along with good factory support from what I read. Has 5 top mounted control buttons whose function is usually indicated on the display screen, if not, you can easily remember their normal functions. NOTE: Left option is primary option under normal use.
Buttons from Left To Right:
(Lock File or Enter/Exit Setup Menu)
(OK or Start/Stop Recording)
(Move Selection Up or Mic On/Off)
(Move Selection Down or Switch Display on Screen)
(Toggle Power On/Off or Toggle Interior IR Led Light Switch)

Manual is HERE

This is a QUALITY dash-cam and records EVERYTHING! The big, 256gig, Micro-SD card will set ya back another $50. The 125gig can be found for less than half that (that's what I have). The box has everything you need EXCEPT for the GPS suction mount. It's $20, GET IT! I post a link to some video tomorrow, OK? The player is free and displays Location, Speed, Map tracing your route traveled, audio recorded, video recorded, and G forces in the X, Y, and Z planes!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:54:57 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »
This guy feels the VanTrue N4 is a bit of a rip in that it's not a true 4K camera, rather it's a 1080 camera that uses an algorithm to upsize the image with no increase in resolution. Functionally it does do what you need a dash cam to do, like read close-by license plates, it just doesn't live up to the 4K advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXsDEF9XXs

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 09:37:51 PM »
Interesting. I am recording at 1080p on all 3 cams at once right now. Lemme get off my but and get it so I can upload the video.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 09:46:37 PM »
I have a Viofo A119 v3. Went ahead and popped for the polarizer, GPS power base, and a Samsung Pro Endurance card. It's survived two West Texas summers and a -8 F cold snap. Thankfully I've not had need to use footage.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 10:00:16 PM »
This takes FOREVER to download all 128 gig of data!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 12:55:40 AM »
The videos are on my site as is the player if you care to look. They are standard MP4 files and can be played in a standard player but you don't get all the additional GPS and date/time issues. Filenames are in the format: yyyy_mm_dd_hhmmss_(ENP)_(ABC)
Type: E(vents), N(ormal) ,P(arked).
CAMS: A=front, B=interior, C=rear.

Forward cam: 120 MB (125,829,120 bytes)
http://herohog.com/video/2021_10_01_175304_E_A.MP4

Interior cam: 80.0 MB (83,886,080 bytes)
http://herohog.com/video/2021_10_01_175304_E_B.MP4

Rear view cam: 100 MB (104,857,600 bytes)
http://herohog.com/video/2021_10_01_175304_E_C.MP4

Player: 83.4 MB (87,503,164 bytes)
http://herohog.com/video/VANTRUE%20DASHCAM%20PLAYER-3.4.0-27-04-2021_09-47-53-x64.exe

PS: I know I've bitched about money before but this was a gift.

PPS: uploading manual if anyone is interested:
http://herohog.com/video/VanTrueN4.pdf
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 01:09:05 AM by HeroHog »
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 07:23:57 AM »
When I click your links all I'm getting is audio. No video.

Got the player, can't figure out how to get your linked videos to play through the player.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 10:56:58 AM »
When I click your links all I'm getting is audio. No video.

Got the player, can't figure out how to get your linked videos to play through the player.

Ditto.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 03:16:02 PM »
You will have to download them to use them in the player.

MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 07:18:34 AM »
How the hell do you download them?

The only thing I can do to interact with them is click them to play them. Right clicking brings up a menu of choices, none of which include download.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 01:43:33 AM »
No "Save Audio As"?  (or click the 3 vertical dots to the right and select "Download")
That's what FireFox gives, same in Brave, Chrome and Edge. Downloaded and viewed using all 4 browsers using the Right-Click, "Save Audio As" option. It is saved as an MP4 Video/Audio file that can be played in the player or the VLC Media player, tested that as well on the freshly downloaded files.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:36:13 AM by HeroHog »
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 07:14:26 AM »
I was able to download the file that way.  The browser said it was an unsecure file.  However, my video player is choking on the format.

What video player to y'all use?  I had to get a new computer this year and forgot the free one I used to use.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 07:18:05 AM »
No "Save Audio As"?  (or click the 3 vertical dots to the right and select "Download")
That's what FireFox gives, same in Brave, Chrome and Edge. Downloaded and viewed using all 4 browsers using the Right-Click, "Save Audio As" option. It is saved as an MP4 Video/Audio file that can be played in the player or the VLC Media player, tested that as well on the freshly downloaded files.

That's a hard NO for having 3 vertical dots, 3 horizontal dots, or dots of any kind.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 12:37:34 AM »
Right-click, "Save Audio As".

VLC Media player.
MOLON LABE!