Author Topic: California Bans . . . Small Engines?!?!  (Read 5401 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: California Bans . . . Small Engines?!?!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2021, 06:49:21 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
The higher end battery chainsaws have gotten quite good.  In the 45cc and under engine class I’d be strongly tempted to get a battery saw.  Particularly if you usually only use the saw a few times a year.  Just no needing to mess around with gas that can go bad, carbs that can get varnished, etc would be a big bonus.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2021, 07:37:30 PM »
The higher end battery chainsaws have gotten quite good.  In the 45cc and under engine class I’d be strongly tempted to get a battery saw.  Particularly if you usually only use the saw a few times a year.  Just no needing to mess around with gas that can go bad, carbs that can get varnished, etc would be a big bonus.

They are better for bayonets, too.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »

Milwaukee saw with a 12 amp hour battery is one heck of a tool. Until the battery dies and your commie state banned generators.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2021, 07:55:33 PM »
I have a battery chainsaw. It is great for clearing the cottonwoods out of the driveway when we get an overnight storm. Just need to have it charged and full of oil.

For real wood cutting, mostly hedge, I use the the gas saws. I have several.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2021, 08:46:01 PM »
One wonders if Kali will soon put up customs inspection facilities at all border crossings. (Except the southern ones, of course.)

They actually do have border stations. I've always been waved through, good for me since I'm usually transporting totally Cali legal firearm stuff when I do...  :angel: :police:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2021, 08:50:08 PM »
Doesn't seem to actually mention what a "small engine" is. I wonder if this would also affect gas powered remote control vehicles. Or things like mopeds/scooters.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »
They actually do have border stations. I've always been waved through, good for me since I'm usually transporting totally Cali legal firearm stuff when I do...  :angel: :police:
I didn't know that - the times I've been to Kali, I always arrived & departed via air, never by road.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2021, 10:46:34 PM »
Doesn't seem to actually mention what a "small engine" is. I wonder if this would also affect gas powered remote control vehicles. Or things like mopeds/scooters.

Like most laws the politicians have no idea what anything is. Most have never worked for a living and have zero common sense.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2021, 10:49:22 PM »
I took a look through the rest of the section that's being amended, and didn't see a definition anywhere.

The whole thing is pretty poorly defined and will therefore be subject to interpretation.

Like most laws the politicians have no idea what anything is. Most have never worked for a living and have zero common sense.

Quoted for truth.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2021, 01:57:05 PM »
I expect it won't be too many years before California ban standard gas cars either.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2021, 02:20:55 PM »
I expect it won't be too many years before California ban standard gas cars either.

I think they already did.  No sales of new gas cars after 2035, I think.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »
I took a look through the rest of the section that's being amended, and didn't see a definition anywhere.

The whole thing is pretty poorly defined and will therefore be subject to interpretation.

Quoted for truth.
That tells me that what you are allowed to buy or have will largely depend on where you are.  And local politicians can screw with companies who don't play ball.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2021, 02:43:52 PM »
My "gas-powered leaf blower" is a rake, a broom, and a can of baked beans.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2021, 03:28:54 PM »
This discussion reminded me that I hadn't run my generator in quite some time.  Took it out this afternoon while I was leaf blowing the yard with my gas powered blower.  The generator fired right up and I let it run for about a half hour while I removed leaves from the yard.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2021, 03:55:25 PM »
This discussion reminded me that I hadn't run my generator in quite some time.  Took it out this afternoon while I was leaf blowing the yard with my gas powered blower.  The generator fired right up and I let it run for about a half hour while I removed leaves from the yard.

I may overdo it, but I do that once a month. Recurring alarm on the calendar app. Start 'er up and fiddle with other stuff for 15-30 min. I figure it's a good way to keep fuel moving through the system over the year and it lets the battery do something other than drain (though mine also has a pull cord if the battery dies, but it's a bitch to yank on that big engine). I also try to put a load on it once in a while as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2021, 04:05:49 PM »
Mine is in the shed in front of my mower, so every couple weeks I pull it out and start it, then let it run while I mow the lawn.  Keeps it exercised.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2021, 05:18:46 PM »
I would be running some kind of load on to make sure it does more than start and run.

My three phase ran great for years until on day voltage went wonky. Low voltage in one leg and really high on another.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2021, 05:26:45 PM »
I think they already did.  No sales of new gas cars after 2035, I think.

Well now.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »
I would be running some kind of load on to make sure it does more than start and run.

My three phase ran great for years until on day voltage went wonky. Low voltage in one leg and really high on another.

Very true, and I've done that in the past.  It was explained to me by some folks that were load banking the genset where I used to work that it keeps shellac from building up on the commutators.  Don't know if that's an accurate statement as I've never researched it's veracity.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »
Very true, and I've done that in the past.  It was explained to me by some folks that were load banking the genset where I used to work that it keeps shellac from building up on the commutators.  Don't know if that's an accurate statement as I've never researched it's veracity.
You sure they weren't talking about the encabulator? 

https://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2021, 07:23:24 PM »

Now that I think about it...     =D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »

Yep. Plus load banking a generator also fights “wet stacking” where a Diesel engine without any load on it coats the exhaust with wet spot. A Diesel engine does not like to idle they like to work. Too much idle time is also not good for blowby.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »

Ha! First thing that actually came to mind too.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2021, 11:02:14 PM »