Author Topic: California Bans . . . Small Engines?!?!  (Read 5400 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: California Bans . . . Small Engines?!?!
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2021, 02:29:00 AM »
Why would they care? They hate all blue collar/farmers.

Guys remember it’s not about logic in CA it’s about emotional autistic screeching. Y’all make the mistake of trying to apply logic to that kind of insanity.

QFT

Yes, and as said before, "Ideology Rules."

It is almost impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into.

Bad engine, bad engine.  Must punish.

Terry, 230RN

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2021, 08:38:52 AM »
I would be running some kind of load on to make sure it does more than start and run.

My three phase ran great for years until on day voltage went wonky. Low voltage in one leg and really high on another.

Every 6 months or so I have a project come up that requires me to cut, or un-cut something outside my shop, so the generator runs either a small air compressor and plasma cutter (cut) or my MIG (uncut).  I figure that's enough testing to be storm ready,

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2021, 07:55:27 PM »
I didn't know that - the times I've been to Kali, I always arrived & departed via air, never by road.

It's an agriculture thang.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/ExteriorExclusion/borders.html

California’s Border Protection Stations (BPS) are the first line of defense in our pest exclusion efforts. At these stations, vehicles are inspected for commodities infested with invasive species. California established its first agricultural inspection stations in the early 1920s. Today there are 16 of these facilities located on the major highways entering the State (see interactive map). At these stations, vehicles and commodities are checked to ensure they are pest free and meet all regulatory requirements.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2021, 10:55:11 PM »
I saw another Instagram post:  "MOW LAWN LABE"

=D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2021, 03:41:43 PM »
I like my 20v Kobalt 14" chainsaw & tree limber.  Two batteries last as long as I do.  Had an oak fall in the front yard, I cut most of it myself but there was one spot where a mistake could have killed me.  Called in the pros.  He got his chainsaw pinched, borrowed my cordless to get it out.  I do use a couple gas powered for the larger stuff.

Just before reading this thread I gave the generator it's monthly running.  I hook up a heat lamp for a load.

But there's no way in hell I could do all the yard work with cordless or even corded tools.  Five acres is a bit too far to run an extension cord, and I doubt anything would work well enough off a portable solar panel setup.

ETA:  I run the gas out of the carb when shutting down.  Turn off the fuel valve, run it until it starts to sputter, then use the choke until it dies.  Figure it helps keep the carb clean.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2021, 02:15:40 AM »
Good way to make 100,000 hard working Mexican landscapers pissed off.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2021, 09:19:08 AM »
Thinking about this.  Lawn care contractors would need to either carry a bunch of batteries or have some sort of battery bank on their trailer to charge spare batteries.  I haven't seen battery banks like that, but I figure they could be made. 
That still doesn't replace everything, just a select few devices.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2021, 09:25:09 AM »
Good way to make 100,000 hard working Mexican landscapers pissed off.

Or depended on government handouts
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2021, 09:39:35 AM »
Thinking about this.  Lawn care contractors would need to either carry a bunch of batteries or have some sort of battery bank on their trailer to charge spare batteries.  I haven't seen battery banks like that, but I figure they could be made. 
That still doesn't replace everything, just a select few devices.

There are battery charger banks and power sources but not the kind that’s going to last a 10 hour day powering multiple mowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers,  pole saws, etc

And pro grade battery tools are big $$$.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2021, 09:52:54 AM »
There are battery charger banks and power sources but not the kind that’s going to last a 10 hour day powering multiple mowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers,  pole saws, etc

And pro grade battery tools are big $$$.

Yeah, last year I bought the Stihl pro pole saw for ~$600 because the battery one was close to $1000 for saw + battery. Even my Stihl dealer told me their battery stuff is ridiculously priced.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »
I am now buying the third-party Ryobi 18 and 40 volt batteries.  They seem to last as long and work as well and are somewhat cheaper than the name brand. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2021, 10:11:39 AM »
California is working on banning all gas appliances also. That will help the crap grid when everyone comes home and turns on the oven after plugging in the car.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
They can have my gas range when the pry it from my cold, dead, pudgy fingers.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2021, 11:29:31 AM »
They can have my gas range when the pry it from my cold, dead, pudgy fingers.

They have nukes
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2021, 11:44:49 AM »
Does CA ban idling of commercial vehicles, like some of the yankee states do? Can't run the truck AC, etc...

I envision the landscapers, etc., using the vehicles for generators. Gonna be a LOT of add-on alternators, or PTO mods... A regular alternator can't run that big inverter All Day Long...

At least until the vehicles all have to run on AA cells...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
They have nukes
Now that would be an interesting idea for a power supply.  Do they make those small enough to fit in the back of a truck? 

Or maybe the CA capital building needs a back up generator....    [tinfoil]    [popcorn]

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2021, 01:40:58 PM »
Now that would be an interesting idea for a power supply.  Do they make those small enough to fit in the back of a truck? 

Or maybe the CA capital building needs a back up generator....    [tinfoil]    [popcorn]

They are working on it. I read this article just last night:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42818/this-alaskan-air-base-will-host-an-experimental-mini-nuclear-reactor

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2021, 02:29:56 PM »
They are working on it. I read this article just last night:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42818/this-alaskan-air-base-will-host-an-experimental-mini-nuclear-reactor
Cool. 

Gotta be careful.  Hollywood has taught me that all one has to do is set it to overload and it will destroy the whole base. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2021, 02:39:58 PM »
Does CA ban idling of commercial vehicles, like some of the yankee states do? Can't run the truck AC, etc...

I envision the landscapers, etc., using the vehicles for generators. Gonna be a LOT of add-on alternators, or PTO mods... A regular alternator can't run that big inverter All Day Long...

At least until the vehicles all have to run on AA cells...

Yes they ban idling for more than five minutes. Also idling absolutely murders gas engines and puts a lot of wear and tear on diesels, especially modern emissions diesels. Our service trucks went from PTO air compressors to Miller Enpaks- they supply air, 120V electrical, crane hydraulic power, and mig or stick weld power from a small diesel plumbed to draw fuel from the truck fuel tanks.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2023, 11:57:32 AM »
Monkey see monkey do

State Reps. Jerry Newton and Heather Edelson, members of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, introduced legislation on Monday that would block the sale of common landscaping appliances like lawn mowers and chainsaws as well ice resurfacing machines such as Zambonis, requiring that only electric battery versions be sold in the state starting Jan. 1, 2025.

The ban on lawn and garden equipment would include any machine that uses "a spark ignition engine rated at or below 19 kilowatts or 25 gross horsepower." Commonly used landscaping tools like lawn mowers, leaf blowers, hedge clippers, chainsaws, lawn edgers, string trimmers and brush cutters would all be prohibited by that definition.

And just like CA they made sure to hamstring electricity production first.

The measure follows a Democrat-backed clean energy bill signed into law by Gov. Tim Walz that requires electricity production be 80% carbon-free by 2030 and 100% by 2040. Republicans labeled it the "blackout bill."

Minnesota Democrat lawmakers push ban on gas-powered lawn mowers, chainsaws to curb 'climate pollution'
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/minnesota-democrat-lawmakers-push-ban-gas-powered-lawn-mowers-chainsaws-curb-climate-pollution
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2023, 07:57:23 PM »
California energy policy seems to be becoming the American Germany.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2023, 08:48:53 AM »
Certain small tools can be made, well, serviceable with batteries. Hedge trimmers - yep. Cordless drills and screwdrivers - sure. Lawnmowers? Borderline, depending on yard size.

Generators? Maybe our leaders will subsidize plug-in (corded) generators - use a battery to start it initially, and then just plug its cord into the output to keep it running. Science!!!

But even corded pressure washers are only suitable for relatively light work like washing a car or patio furniture, you really don't want to clean a large dirty driveway or patio with anything less than roughly a 3000 PSI gas pressure washer with a surface cleaning attachment - electric just won't cut it.

Cool. 

Gotta be careful.  Hollywood has taught me that all one has to do is set it to overload and it will destroy the whole base. 
If you're worried about nuke plants, you should read the old H. Beam Piper short story, Day of the Moron.    https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18949/18949-h/18949-h.htm
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2023, 09:02:59 AM »
Generators? Maybe our leaders will subsidize plug-in (corded) generators - use a battery to start it initially, and then just plug its cord into the output to keep it running. Science!!!

https://youtu.be/yxkb2dt_nBw
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2023, 10:24:36 AM »
https://youtu.be/yxkb2dt_nBw
Spare fuel cans are so much easier to haul around and refueling is much faster.