Author Topic: US attack sub has a collision today  (Read 1876 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: US attack sub has a collision today
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2021, 05:37:32 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/craighooper/2021/11/03/navy-faces-prospect-that-sub-crash-will-force-uss-connecticut-out-of-service/?sh=73f6146c4f3c&fbclid=IwAR1Z9V2Ssm9RflrbZiOAGjulGlhEbXjUob1gmbB443LhbzjWTrapXmc3nTs

Things are looking worse for the Navy.  It may not be feasible to repair the sub due to cost and shipyard constraints.

There are things in that article that don't make sense to me. Perhaps our resident [former] squid can elucidate. F'rinstance:

It is unfortunate that the USS Connecticut suffered the maritime equivalent of a controlled flight into terrain after being, in effect, conserved for just the type of challenge China presents. But the faster the Navy and Congress realize that the USS Connecticut, if repaired, will never be a true Seawolf again, the faster America can move forward

Why can't it ever be the same again? If they take it back to where it was built, and that yard builds a new nose from the same blueprints and using the same materials as the original ... why isn't it as good as new?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2021, 05:40:24 PM »
Anyone that believes that story, I can sell you some ocean front property in Oklahoma.

Lex Luthor Real Estate Co.?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2021, 05:51:48 PM »
There are things in that article that don't make sense to me. Perhaps our resident [former] squid can elucidate. F'rinstance:

Why can't it ever be the same again? If they take it back to where it was built, and that yard builds a new nose from the same blueprints and using the same materials as the original ... why isn't it as good as new?

Cuz it'll have a salvage title.  BTDT with cars before, when the insurance company totals it for minor damage and I kept it.  The state gets pissy about that.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »
So does anyone know if this was a real known mapped hazard or was China working on the base of a new island?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2021, 06:38:58 PM »
There actually are seaports in OK. :)  Riverfront tho', not ocean front.

The lake I sail in was constructed primarily to feed the Tulsa Port of Catoosa. I know several people that have launched from the port and made their way to the gulf.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2021, 10:49:26 AM »
There actually are seaports in OK. :)  Riverfront tho', not ocean front.

Not a seaport.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2021, 06:21:24 PM »

Since they're not saying it can't be a submarine but rather that it will never again perform like a Seawolf class submarine it makes me think that it's expected to be noisier as result of shock damage to all the machinery. For a surface warship this wouldn't be that much of an issue but for a boat that operates in an environment where even a little bit more noise than planned could prove it's undoing it's a big deal.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2021, 06:28:01 PM »
After Pearl Harbor, several ship that were sunk - including battleships - were raised, repaired, refitted, and placed back into service - often with upgrades. During the war, damage control parties did legendary work dealing with severe battle damage including hits by kamikazes.

Today some people think the USS Connecticut can't be repaired properly. The USS Bonhomme Richard was set on fire by a disgruntled seaman at dockside - and was totally written off. The USS Cole was badly damaged by a small motorboat carrying several hundred pounds of explosives that was allowed alongside because of rules of engagement.

I'm beginning to wonder how our modern navy would fare in a real shooting war with incoming live fire from an enemy above the level of nomadic tribesmen.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2021, 06:39:21 PM »
After Pearl Harbor, several ship that were sunk - including battleships - were raised, repaired, refitted, and placed back into service - often with upgrades. During the war, damage control parties did legendary work dealing with severe battle damage including hits by kamikazes.

Today some people think the USS Connecticut can't be repaired properly. The USS Bonhomme Richard was set on fire by a disgruntled seaman at dockside - and was totally written off. The USS Cole was badly damaged by a small motorboat carrying several hundred pounds of explosives that was allowed alongside because of rules of engagement.

I'm beginning to wonder how our modern navy would fare in a real shooting war with incoming live fire from an enemy above the level of nomadic tribesmen.

But they will have their proper pronouns.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2021, 07:13:37 PM »

This shows a complete lack of understanding of these three events, the realities of modern shipbuilding/repair and warships, and is overall a retarded argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
This shows a complete lack of understanding of these three events, the realities of modern shipbuilding/repair and warships, and is overall a retarded argument.
;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2021, 10:54:20 PM »
Based on my considerable, though somewhat outdated experience with nuclear fast attack submarines, , we do not have enough data to 2nd guess the decision to repair or not.
Depending on the extent of the damage the structural integrity of the pressure hull may well have been compromised, the boat could conceivably even be bent. In addition, most of the internal structure is mounted on sound isolating platforms. Those structures likely experienced significant damage, if so repair could even require major hull openings to be cut in to the hull.
There is a definite cost/benefit analysis that has to be made based in part on the projected remaing service life of the boat if repaired against the cost to repair vs. using that money on new construction.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2021, 10:58:21 PM »
So, can we build new subs, or did we outsource that to China?
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2021, 11:19:48 PM »
So, can we build new subs, or did we outsource that to China?

We can, Newport News across from my old house and Electric Boat in Connecticut. One of the few places I agree with government excess, wherein we build half the sub one place and the other half at the other. Makes sense to pay more and keep two strategic yards capable. Bad enough we can build nuke carriers and refuel them at only one spot.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2021, 09:11:41 AM »
Speaking of submarines:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/woman-pleads-guilty-to-fraud-in-connection-with-falsifying-steel-test-results-for-navy-submarines

"Ms. Thomas never intended to compromise the integrity of any material and is gratified that the government's testing does not suggest that the structural integrity of any submarine was in fact compromised," the woman's attorney John Carpenter noted in a statement filed in U.S. District Court on Thomas's behalf, according to the outlet

When approached about the fake test results Thomas told investigators, "Yeah, that looks bad," the DOJ said, according to the AP. Thomas indicated that in some instances she altered the tests to passing results because she believed it was "stupid" that the Navy required the tests to be executed at negative-100 degrees Fahrenheit.

So she didn't "intend" to compromise the integrity of any material ... she just decided for herself that the specifications were stupid, so she didn't follow them.

Sheesh. She should be locked up for thirty years. Instead, she'll probably get a book deal.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2021, 09:24:35 AM »
Sheesh. She should be locked up for thirty years. Instead, she'll probably get a book deal.

Cabinet level position in Biden's defense department.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2021, 09:27:01 AM »
Speaking of submarines:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/woman-pleads-guilty-to-fraud-in-connection-with-falsifying-steel-test-results-for-navy-submarines

So she didn't "intend" to compromise the integrity of any material ... she just decided for herself that the specifications were stupid, so she didn't follow them.

Article doesn't say but did she go on to work at Boeing on the Starliner project?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2021, 12:19:36 PM »
Article doesn't say but did she go on to work at Boeing on the Starliner project?

No.... 737Max

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2021, 12:29:28 PM »
Speaking of submarines:

I was going to defend her by saying prison seems a bit harsh just for falsifying test results.   Then I read the article.  She was doing that for 30 years!  Yeah, prison is warranted.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2021, 10:11:38 PM »
I was going to defend her by saying prison seems a bit harsh just for falsifying test results.   Then I read the article.  She was doing that for 30 years!  Yeah, prison is warranted.

Yes -- thirty years, with parts for submarines. When something breaks on a surface ship, the ship may sink but the crew usually gets to float away in lifeboats. When a submarine sinks -- well, it's already sunk, and so is the crew. Faking the tests on a submarine part is like playing Russian roulette with the gun pointed at someone else's head.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2021, 11:17:05 PM »
That kind of *expletive deleted*it really pisses me off.
Lock her in a big room and turn loose the wives and families of all the submariners whose life she put in jeopardy.
I would also be OK with a few thousand charges of attempted murder.

Samuel Adams