Author Topic: Automotive Tire / Gasket Protectant  (Read 199 times)

HankB

• friend
Automotive Tire / Gasket Protectant
« on: April 13, 2024, 11:31:08 AM »
Just got a new vehicle (Replaced a 2006 Pathfinder with a 2024 4Runner) and am looking for some minor maintenance advice for tires and door/hood/sunroof gaskets.

What do people think is a good tire shine/tire protectant these days? I know there are some products out there that contain various solvents (e.g., naphtha) that are actually bad for your tires in the long term, so what is considered good? I've used ArmorAll tire foam in the past without issue, just wondering what the collective here thinks.

And for things like door, hood/sunroof gaskets, what's recommended for those? I've used regular ArmorAll and never had a problem with gaskets cracking or deteriorating, but is there something better?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Automotive Tire / Gasket Protectant
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 11:42:53 AM »
Congrats and welcome to the 5th gen club! You got the last year of an absolutely bulletproof engine/tranny combo. You will love it.

I still use armor-all on window gaskets and stuff, but I just use it once a year when the vehicles get their Fall detail. I don't even bother with anything on the tires. Modern tires seem to be pretty well protected against UV, and for me, by the time I drive out of my 1/4 mile dirt road to the paved road, what's the point?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 01:00:28 PM »
Living off a dirt road, I don't do anything to the tires either.

The gaskets get wiped down with a good coat of silicone spray every Fall.  It seems to help keep 'em flexible and the doors haven't frozen shut in the Winter.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 01:29:22 PM »
I've been very happy with Sil-Glyde for window and door gaskets.
7-11 was a part time job.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 06:41:27 PM »
I use either armor all or a mcguires product for gaskets and seals. Tires are different.
I pay really close attention to the overhead air hole seals. Very problematic and expensive if they fail. I clean and condition mine at least 2x per year.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 08:28:44 PM »
I don't use anything, but if I did it would be silicone spray lube.  (not on the tire treads, but *maybe* the sidewalls)
"It's good, though..."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 11:41:25 PM »
On a 2011 Hyundai Elantra, nothing has been done to the tires or gaskets.  It is parked in a carport and not a garage and I have less than 77K miles on it but I'm on my 3rd set of tires.  It turns out the 2nd set of tires that had a 90K warranty weren't the right tires for the car and were wearing out at 30K.
The dash has been wiped with protectant once about 2 years ago, even though the dash was showing no sign of wear.
I wish the same could be said for the bolster on the outer edge of the driver's seat.  The fabric has been worn away from me sliding in and out and there is a 2-3" wide hole about 4-5" high exposing the bolster's air bag underneath.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 08:55:58 AM »
I don't use anything, but if I did it would be silicone spray lube.  (not on the tire treads, but *maybe* the sidewalls)

Every fall I give the door gaskets a good going over with silicone spray. Then two weeks later I do it again.

My primary reason for doing so is that where I park the prevailing weather has, on more than one occasions, iced my doors shut and, in opening them, caused the door seals to pop loose.

If I know we're facing that kind of weather I'll give the driver's side door seals a quick additional coating.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 11:00:50 AM »
. . . I pay really close attention to the overhead air hole seals. Very problematic and expensive if they fail. I clean and condition mine at least 2x per year.
??    I haven't heard that term before - and it seems that neither has Google.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 11:39:26 AM »
??    I haven't heard that term before - and it seems that neither has Google.
It’s the sun/moon roof that tilts open or slides back.
My wife likes them, I don’t. Therefore I call then air holes.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 01:02:52 PM »
It’s the sun/moon roof that tilts open or slides back.
My wife likes them, I don’t. Therefore I call then air holes.
Ah, I see. I wish I could delete them and probably save $1k or so (considering what they cost as an option) but a lot of vehicles come with them standard now, and you can't delete them for credit. Rarely do I open them other than to ArmorAll the gaskets . . . and that's about twice a year. (Which reminds me . . . time to do it on my car. Maybe past time.)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 12:22:36 PM »
Most of the guys who buy tire shine on their way to church so they can show off their cadillacs buy something called Cover All. The car show guys too...

Me, I'm just happy to have tires with tread. Some of those cadillac folks don't have that.
Blog under construction