Main Forums > The Roundtable

Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident

(1/128) > >>

Ben:
Apparently Alec Baldwin pulled the trigger on a "prop" gun on his movie set and killed one person and injured another.

I feel bad for the victims, and even for him, because no one wants to live with that. However, I can't help but wonder where the blame will go and what kind of "guns are bad" propaganda will come out of it. Baldwin is very anti-gun, IIRC.

The two victims were not actors, they were set personnel, so it appears this was not some "shooting a scene" accident. He must have been handling the gun in between scenes. Four rules.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alec-baldwin-tears-rust-movie-set-shooting

cordex:
I was under the impression that actors didn't get to handle guns between scenes.  Weird.

As far as the four rules, they violate those rules constantly on set.  They have to.

Ben:

--- Quote from: cordex on October 22, 2021, 07:57:28 AM ---As far as the four rules, they violate those rules constantly on set.  They have to.

--- End quote ---

I meant "four rules" for in between scenes or running through the script. If it was an actor that was killed, it might have been from a scene where the actor was supposed to be shot. For set personnel to be shot, something else might have happened. The couple of stories I have read seemed to insinuate that he was handling the gun in between scenes.

Ron:
They could have been filming a shooting scene where he was being filmed head on with the directors giving direction, standing where he would be aiming for the scene. 

cordex:

--- Quote from: Ben on October 22, 2021, 08:03:45 AM ---I meant "four rules" for in between scenes or running through the script. If it was an actor that was killed, it might have been from a scene where the actor was supposed to be shot. For set personnel to be shot, something else might have happened. The couple of stories I have read seemed to insinuate that he was handling the gun in between scenes.

--- End quote ---
I don't know what happened but as Ron says it's not hard to believe a crewmember could be shot during filming if the prop fails and actually fires a bullet.  Then again, it also not hard to explain him being an idiot.

All that said, my understanding was that when blank-firing prop guns were not actively in use for filming they are taken by the weapons wrangler.  Way, way smaller scale, but I did that for a few shows at local theatres and the gun (an 8mm, blank-firing 1911) was never out of my sight and as soon as the actor left the stage I took it.  I also kept all the extra ammo on me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version