Author Topic: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident  (Read 42322 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2021, 10:48:11 PM »
A special double mirror arrangement would have to be used in order to not reverse the image.

I thought about that; couldn't they use a single mirror and reverse it during editing or post-production or whatever they call it?
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #251 on: October 31, 2021, 10:52:54 PM »
I thought about that; couldn't they use a single mirror and reverse it during editing or post-production or whatever they call it?

Hadn't thought about that.  They probably could.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #252 on: October 31, 2021, 11:10:28 PM »
At this point, we don't know who or what to believe.

I read earlier today that the armorer gal has released a statement through her attorney. She says that
  • No live ammo was allowed on the set
  • All the guns were locked in a safe during breaks and overnight
  • Nobody was allowed to use the guns for target practice on the set
  • She was overruled on multiple safety issues on the set

In contrast, there have been numerous statements by crew that the prop guns were used for target practice during breaks.

Stay tuned ...  [popcorn]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2021, 11:17:32 PM »
A special double mirror arrangement would have to be used in order to not reverse the image.

Super easy to flip the image in processing
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #254 on: October 31, 2021, 11:20:00 PM »
If guns were used for target practice it doesn't mean she knew about it or approved of it even if she did know.

Baldwin seems like the type that would not only do that sort of thing, but encourage it. Maybe even demand it as group bonding sort of thing.

Of course, as said above, she should have recorded anything that was out of the normal course of things.

Maybe she has that, maybe she doesn't.

Discovery would be very interesting.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2021, 12:29:38 AM »
Might have been a hip shot.  Also she might have been standing on a platform.

How far away was the second victim?  .45 Colt is a big heavy bullet with a lot of momentum. Shooting through a girl wouldn't slow it down much unless it hit something like a femur, and even that might not stop it.

I wonder if it ever occurs to anyone in Hollywood to film shots like that using an angled mirror?  (someone mentioned that in this thread earlier and I thought it was brilliant)

The reason many in Hollywood don't understand the power of gunss because they use play guns with no recoil, etc.

A lot of gun people don't understand big, slow bullets. I shoot 45 Colt a lot. I shoot pins and that big slow bullet sets the pins back with authority. I run 255gr hardcast SWC at 900fps. I would bet at close range that bullet could go end to end on a deer and most of the way on a larger animal. I am not at all surprised it went through the female.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2021, 01:42:00 PM »
A good idea I heard was to require anyone who is slated to handle a gun in any media to take a full-fedged live-fire firearms course designed and sanctioned, of course, by the NRA.

This would probably be a good way to nibble away at the anti-2A acting clique and create more firearms "aficionados."

"By the NRA," of course, just to rub it in.

But of course, this makes another regulatory burden on firearms usage, so forget I said it.

Terry "Still in a half-dream state while his morning coffee is still brewing," 230RN

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:01:41 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »
If there were guns being used for target practice does it mean it was the guns for the movie?

It's possible that there were privately owned guns brought to the set by actors or crew.

And how is the set armorer supposed to control that?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »
At this point, we don't know who or what to believe.

I read earlier today that the armorer gal has released a statement through her attorney. She says that
  • No live ammo was allowed on the set
  • All the guns were locked in a safe during breaks and overnight
  • Nobody was allowed to use the guns for target practice on the set
  • She was overruled on multiple safety issues on the set

In contrast, there have been numerous statements by crew that the prop guns were used for target practice during breaks.

Stay tuned ...  [popcorn]
She really should have quit over that if that was the case.  Pretty much defeats the purpose of her job.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #259 on: November 01, 2021, 06:53:13 PM »
She really should have quit over that if that was the case.  Pretty much defeats the purpose of her job.

That could ruin her career.

I am inclined to dislike her, the hollywood industry just makes me sick.
 Yet, imo it is the fault of the person handling the gun.
 It's awful that personal responsibility was learned this way tho.
 I hope he does at least a year and becomes a prohibited person
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #260 on: November 01, 2021, 09:11:10 PM »
What's the comparison?
The claims of PTSD.

Yes, that's pretty much it. Yeah, they both fired guns, but one of them was involved in killing an innocent person. The other idiot killed a piece of paper.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #261 on: November 01, 2021, 10:37:34 PM »
Unless AB is a psychopath, he *should* have PTSD.  That doesn't make him the victim, unless you mean a victim of his own arrogance and stupidity.  I feel sorry for him a little, but not much.  A year or three in a minimum-security prison might do him some good.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #262 on: November 02, 2021, 04:21:48 AM »
gunsmith mentioned:

"I hope he does at least a year and becomes a prohibited person."

That remark makes one wonder how many of the actors and extras on the sets of movies and TV shows who handle real guns are actually prohibited persons in the first place.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:01:45 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #263 on: November 02, 2021, 02:39:04 PM »
That could ruin her career.

I am inclined to dislike her, the hollywood industry just makes me sick.
 Yet, imo it is the fault of the person handling the gun.
 It's awful that personal responsibility was learned this way tho.
 I hope he does at least a year and becomes a prohibited person
It might.  However, someone getting killed on set when you are responsible for the guns could do the same.  These are the type of people who want to blame everyone but themselves.  If they won't follow basic safety procedures, you have to draw the line somewhere.  If the rumor that there were prior incidents on this shoot, that should have been a warning to everyone including her.  A little bit of Monday morning quarterbacking on my part.  It can be difficult to do that when you are involved. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #264 on: November 02, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
A little bit of idle speculation and conspiracy mongering. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-L5qrMQAn0
Alec Baldwin Shooting: CRAZY Conspiracy Theories! Lauren Southern & Chrissie Mayr GO DEEP!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2021, 05:00:37 PM »

Or you re-reverse it in image processing.  Hell, if MSPaint can do it, then so can high end video editing software.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #266 on: November 02, 2021, 07:48:56 PM »
A little bit of idle speculation and conspiracy mongering. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-L5qrMQAn0
Alec Baldwin Shooting: CRAZY Conspiracy Theories! Lauren Southern & Chrissie Mayr GO DEEP!

From the comments: "SNL Should hire Trump to play Baldwin in a sketch about this whole thing "

[ar15]

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #267 on: November 02, 2021, 08:27:18 PM »
Or you re-reverse it in image processing.  Hell, if MSPaint can do it, then so can high end video editing software.

You don't need high-end software. Windows Movie maker can do it:

https://www.animaker.com/hub/how-to-flip-a-video/

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2021, 11:00:19 AM »
Ironically Ian on Forgotten Weapons has been doing some Dutch pistols and the safety's safe position is marked RUST
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2021, 01:28:04 PM »
This should solve the problem:

Alec Baldwin on Monday took to social media to urge Hollywood to employ a police officer on every film and TV set that uses guns.

“Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety,” the Rust star and producer tweeted from his account, which is now private. He also shared a screenshot of the tweet on his Instagram page.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2021, 01:39:52 PM »
This should solve the problem:

Alec Baldwin on Monday took to social media to urge Hollywood to employ a police officer on every film and TV set that uses guns.

“Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety,” the Rust star and producer tweeted from his account, which is now private. He also shared a screenshot of the tweet on his Instagram page.

That's cute, thinking a cop can actually know the different firearms that may be present and know how to ensure safety with them. I think they kind of have that already, it's called an armorer.

I was involved in a fender bender in WA state once and the cop felt more comfortable removing my legally and open carried 1911 from me "for his safety" (Hell if any one deserved to get shot it was the Ahole that plowed into my rearend). Watching him trying to unload my 1911 scared the bejesus out of me, I knew for sure he was going to have an ND and then try to blame me somehow. It was a CF and he would not listen to me nor give it back so I could safe (unload) it for "his safety"

bob
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 02:01:34 PM by BobR »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2021, 02:22:23 PM »
"'Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety,' the Rust star and producer tweeted from her account, which is now private. She also shared a screenshot of the tweet on her Instagram page."

It would have been smarter and more realistic if she had specified "local gun store owner"  or "certified NRA instructor," in my opinion.  Far more experience with a diversity of firearms, I would expect.  But, that's Hollywoodland, where reality does not exist.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2021, 05:23:58 PM »
That's cute, thinking a cop can actually know the different firearms that may be present and know how to ensure safety with them. I think they kind of have that already, it's called an armorer.

I was involved in a fender bender in WA state once and the cop felt more comfortable removing my legally and open carried 1911 from me "for his safety" (Hell if any one deserved to get shot it was the Ahole that plowed into my rearend). Watching him trying to unload my 1911 scared the bejesus out of me, I knew for sure he was going to have an ND and then try to blame me somehow. It was a CF and he would not listen to me nor give it back so I could safe (unload) it for "his safety"

bob

lol, I was visiting another APS'er (Jocassee) over in Appalachia, we were on motorcycles.  He was my guide and took off at 80+mph down a rural highway and I had to keep up.  Sure enough, we got pulled over.  I had a Springfield XDs-45 in a concealed pocket of my jacket.  Cop asked if I was armed, told him I was, and boy did he have a hell of a time even finding that pocket.  At one point I told him I was afraid of his fumbling around, that it was going to discharge the weapon and that we would very much not be friends if that happened.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #273 on: November 08, 2021, 05:30:17 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe they should hire this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ain2by4Fums

Or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGNzsLkyPg

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #274 on: November 08, 2021, 06:27:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBoHj9R0Lc
Apparently over the weekend, some were claiming sabotage by disgruntled people who left the set.  Mr H points out that if the armorer was doing her job, that would not have mattered.