Author Topic: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident  (Read 40936 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« Reply #350 on: December 07, 2021, 11:27:25 PM »
Alec Baldwin could have never done this.

Up until a few weeks ago, he would have told you that he NEVER makes mistakes, because he is one of the World's Smartest People.

Therefore...

He has been possessed by an alien lifeform. That is the only reasonable explanation.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #351 on: December 07, 2021, 11:54:26 PM »
Ted Kennedy's car Alec Baldwin's revolver has killed more people than my AR-15.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2021, 11:51:33 AM »

Up until a few weeks ago, he would have told you that he NEVER makes mistakes, because he is one of the World's Smartest People.

He's still telling us he didn't make a mistake. He only pointed the gun and fired it. The fact that the gun HE aimed and HE fired happened to kill one person and wound a second person is somebody else's fault. Whose fault? He doesn't know and he doesn't care. It wasn't HIS fault ... end of discussion.

And there are still people on The Firing Line defending him. I find that to be disappointing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »
^ And there are still people on The Firing Line defending him. I find that to be disappointing."

Possibly people who've had NDs that put holes in valuable things?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2021, 01:09:12 PM »
^ And there are still people on The Firing Line defending him. I find that to be disappointing."

*cough*

:P
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2021, 02:36:20 PM »
*cough*

:P

I'm sorry, did we see your hand twitch a bit there?

Or too soon?  :cool:

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2021, 02:40:52 PM »
The day I can't laugh about it is the day I check into the funny farm.
Stupid should hurt and it did.

I'm just more upset that my commutation finger is still not in full operation.  :P
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #357 on: December 09, 2021, 03:17:36 PM »
I didn't put the trigger    :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »
Today, I am hearing two things:  1) someone said Baldwin didn't pull the trigger, but did pull the hammer back, but not far enough to lock, then perhaps let the hammer go.  2) he claimed he thought it was a misfire and hadn't realized the woman was shot for some time after the shooting.  Both sound very odd to me.  The 2nd sounds almost unbelievable. 

https://ijr.com/reporter-confronts-alec-baldwin-street/
This article has part of it.  I didn't remember hearing about letting go of the hammer from the interview, but I never listened to it myself.
During an interview with ABC News’s George Stephanopoulos, Baldwin claimed he never pulled the trigger, as IJR reported.

“I would never point a gun at anyone or pull a trigger at them, never,” he added.

Baldwin suggested he “let go of the hammer of the gun, and the gun goes off.”

He was also asked if he felt guilty about the shooting during the same interview. He responded, “No, no.”

It still doesn't explain why the gun had live ammo.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #359 on: December 09, 2021, 03:31:22 PM »
Today, I am hearing two things:  1) someone said Baldwin didn't pull the trigger, but did pull the hammer back, but not far enough to lock, then perhaps let the hammer go.  2) he claimed he thought it was a misfire and hadn't realized the woman was shot for some time after the shooting.  Both sound very odd to me.  The 2nd sounds almost unbelievable. 

https://ijr.com/reporter-confronts-alec-baldwin-street/
This article has part of it.  I didn't remember hearing about letting go of the hammer from the interview, but I never listened to it myself.
It still doesn't explain why the gun had live ammo.

Concerning #1 if I do that with my 1851 Navy repro the hammer stops at the half cock position UNLESS the trigger is held back. I would bet good money a 1873 works the same way.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #360 on: December 09, 2021, 03:53:13 PM »
Concerning #1 if I do that with my 1851 Navy repro the hammer stops at the half cock position UNLESS the trigger is held back. I would bet good money a 1873 works the same way.

It does unless this is modified or broken. Maybe removed thee half cock for fan firing.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #361 on: December 09, 2021, 03:56:46 PM »
It does unless this is modified or broken. Maybe removed thee half cock for fan firing.

You can fan fire by holding back the trigger while "fanning" the hammer.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #362 on: December 09, 2021, 03:58:48 PM »
Someone, somewhere has video of the crew playing around on the on-set range with the real guns and ammo.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #363 on: December 09, 2021, 05:29:41 PM »
but did pull the hammer back, but not far enough to lock, then perhaps let the hammer go.

IIRC, that's what he said in the interview - that he pulled the hammer back and when they said the scene was good he "let go of the hammer".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #364 on: December 09, 2021, 06:10:17 PM »

Funny you should mention that. IIRC, at least a couple of them still insist that it was an "accidental" discharge, not "negligent."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #365 on: December 09, 2021, 06:14:29 PM »
IIRC, that's what he said in the interview - that he pulled the hammer back and when they said the scene was good he "let go of the hammer".

And that's probably true. What he left out (and, to be honest, still may not understand) is that he probably had his finger on the trigger while he pulled back the hammer. The trigger travel on an 1873 is VERY short and, if the trigger is held back when cocking the hammer, the sear can't engage so, when the hammer is released -- it falls.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #366 on: December 09, 2021, 06:31:34 PM »
I hope the sheriff is investigation the possibility that AB put live rounds in the old peacemaker and tried to make a murder look like an accident.  I doubt that's what happened, but it is a possibility that needs to not be ignored just because he's a so-called movie star.  He was in a unique position to do that as both the actor and producer.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #367 on: December 09, 2021, 11:30:35 PM »
I have a SAA that is hidden right beside my recliner. Just to see I unloaded it. If I don't go to full cock it will not come around to the next round. The hammer falls in between without hitting anything. The hand just will not move it far enough without going to full cock.

This is my pistol. I'm not sure about the one he had but I think it would be the same.

Anyone else have one to try this?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #368 on: December 09, 2021, 11:54:48 PM »
The only SAA I have is a Taurus with a transfer bar.  I bought it because of that, not realizing that just being a Taurus negated any additional safety from the transfer bar.  (I've had enough problems with that gun that I don't trust it, so I very seldom shoot it even tho' I think I have fixed all the problems)
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #369 on: December 10, 2021, 07:35:41 AM »
Mine's not a true SAA but I'm told it's a close replica, and it advances the cylinder at the end of the hammer pull.

I found that if I hold the trigger back (like we presume Baldwin was doing) and cock it it will get the next cylinder in line with the bore somewhere between the half cock click and full cock, and would, I presume, fire if you dropped the hammer.  It also doesn't advance the cylinder until the second half of the hammer cock, so if the round was already under the hammer, and the trigger was held back, the hammer would fall on the round in the chamber.  Whether the hammer would have enough force to set off the primer from a quarter or third cock, I have no idea.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #370 on: December 10, 2021, 07:46:34 AM »
Whether the hammer would have enough force to set off the primer from a quarter or third cock, I have no idea.

That Hikock45 video I posted some pages back showed him hitting the hammer with a stick not all that hard and the gun went off. Presuming if everything was lined up on a non-transfer bar replica, it seems like letting go from partial cock could do it.

My question would be why was Baldwin holding the hammer back? I can't think of a reason not to either not cock the gun at all or else cock it back till the hammer locks so that you're not holding the hammer under pressure for some lengthy period of time. With the latter, if he then "let go of the hammer" he would have had to have his finger on the trigger.

I have a blackpowder Pietta that I'm gonna break out later to experiment with. I'm actually not sure what safety features their BP revolvers have.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #371 on: December 10, 2021, 08:02:31 AM »
Why it wasn't all that uncommon for people to carry older revolvers with the hammer down on an empty cylinder.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #372 on: December 10, 2021, 09:17:42 AM »
I think my Cimaron does not have the transfer bar.  I will have to take a look at it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #373 on: December 10, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »
I hope the sheriff is investigation the possibility that AB put live rounds in the old peacemaker and tried to make a murder look like an accident.  I doubt that's what happened, but it is a possibility that needs to not be ignored just because he's a so-called movie star.  He was in a unique position to do that as both the actor and producer.

You're giving the man way too much credit.  He's not a real gunslinger, head-shotting his nemesis from a fanned hip shot.  He's an ignorant Hollywood screw-up.

If he was intentionally trying to hit her, he would have hit the craft services intern 20 feet to the left.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #374 on: December 10, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »
I have a SAA that is hidden right beside my recliner. Just to see I unloaded it. If I don't go to full cock it will not come around to the next round. The hammer falls in between without hitting anything. The hand just will not move it far enough without going to full cock.

This is my pistol. I'm not sure about the one he had but I think it would be the same.

Anyone else have one to try this?

I don't... but I have clearly seen in some movies that they will sometimes modify revolver cylinders and lockworks so they don't advance with a pull of the hammer or double action trigger pull.  I suspect they do this in order to get that intimidating downrange perspective of a revolver all slugged up with angry little pills ready to come out and get you.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!