Author Topic: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident  (Read 40960 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Incident
« Reply #525 on: January 20, 2023, 11:13:13 PM »
The opinion pieces in the news today are falling all over themselves excusing Baldwin.  Nobody seems to give a *expletive deleted*it about the overworked armorer/propmaster (those are separate jobs and she was covering both)   :mad:  I suspect she's the only one who will really be punished.

Not just the opinion pieces in the news. This case is being discussed on gun forums, and I am extremely disappointed to see that there are actually purportedly pro-gun pro-2A people defending Baldwin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« Reply #526 on: January 21, 2023, 07:25:11 AM »
Not just the opinion pieces in the news. This case is being discussed on gun forums, and I am extremely disappointed to see that there are actually purportedly pro-gun pro-2A people defending Baldwin.

It’s amazing to see the handwavium of people who get pissed off about pointing a blue gun at somebody totally excuse pointing a real gun at somebody and basically horse playing with it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #527 on: January 21, 2023, 09:01:45 AM »
Baldwin isn't solely responsible, but aside from being the triggerman, he was also the film's producer, so having a safe set IS his responsibility. 

He failed, and - in today's vernacular - he has to be held accountable. And that means he should face criminal as well as civil charges in court.

IMHO the person who brought live ammo onto a movie set with real guns bears most of the responsibility.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #528 on: January 21, 2023, 05:14:23 PM »
I think I heard someone say Balwin had live ammo on his person, but I haven't seen myself.  Anyone else heard something like that?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #529 on: January 21, 2023, 06:21:57 PM »
I think I heard someone say Balwin had live ammo on his person, but I haven't seen myself.  Anyone else heard something like that?

I haven't heard that before. Baldwin hates guns (but not enough to eschew using them to make money from taking roles that use guns). I can't imagine any reason why he would have had live ammo in his pocket.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #530 on: January 21, 2023, 06:35:50 PM »
I haven't heard that before. Baldwin hates guns (but not enough to eschew using them to make money from taking roles that use guns). I can't imagine any reason why he would have had live ammo in his pocket.
Thanks.  They may have been referring to someone else, but I will discount it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #531 on: January 21, 2023, 07:32:41 PM »

The prosecutor's press release said that one of the extra live rounds that were found on set was found in the loops on Baldwin's pistol belt.

griz

• friend
« Reply #532 on: January 21, 2023, 08:05:58 PM »
The prosecutor's press release said that one of the extra live rounds that were found on set was found in the loops on Baldwin's pistol belt.

If true, that's pretty bad.  Having dummies and live rounds randomly mixed up on the set is just like Russian Roulette, except the victims don't know they are playing.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #533 on: January 21, 2023, 09:02:12 PM »
I saw that on a TimCastIRL clip so I can't easily link it, but it said the sheriff found five more live rounds. One in Baldwin's belt, one in a bandoleer worn by Jenson Ackles,  one in a box of otherwise dummy rounds, and two loose on a prop cart.

So yeah, Russian roulette is a good description.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #534 on: January 21, 2023, 09:04:03 PM »
5 out of 6 people say Russian Roulette is perfectly safe.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #535 on: January 21, 2023, 09:07:37 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #536 on: January 22, 2023, 04:23:27 PM »
I saw that on a TimCastIRL clip so I can't easily link it, but it said the sheriff found five more live rounds. One in Baldwin's belt, one in a bandoleer worn by Jenson Ackles,  one in a box of otherwise dummy rounds, and two loose on a prop cart.

So yeah, Russian roulette is a good description.

Hollywood ( imagine the worst expletives ever ) do not know the difference between a blank and a live round plus
are much smarter than the hoi polloi .
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #537 on: January 22, 2023, 11:08:14 PM »
I would just like everyone to know that I stand behind Alec Baldwin. 
(certainly not in front of him)   =)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #538 on: February 05, 2023, 07:45:40 PM »
New info suggests Baldwin lacked proper training, and didn't care enough to learn. Also, he allegedly already told police he "fired" the gun.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2023/02/02/nolte-prosecutors-say-alec-baldwin-skipped-gun-safety-training/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #540 on: February 05, 2023, 11:06:42 PM »
And a link to an article about the charges:

https://deadline.com/2023/02/alec-baldwin-fatal-shooting-rust-trial-witness-list-analysis-1235239588/

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed has been charged, but reading the details in this article it appears that as armorer she was working with one arm tied behind her back, being limited to 8 "armorer days" for a movie with lots of guns and lots of shooting.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #541 on: February 06, 2023, 01:39:18 PM »
Just guessing, but I don't think Baldwin has done many westerns. Or if he has, it was decades ago. A Peacemaker-style gun would not be easiest thing for him to check for live ammo.

IOW, he should not have skipped the training.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #542 on: February 07, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »
Alex Baldwin being Alex Baldwin

Alec Baldwin has demanded the special prosecutor assigned to his involuntary manslaughter case be disqualified due to her status as a Republican lawmaker.

Baldwin, who faces up to five years in jail if convicted in the highly publicized trial, said the appointment of Andrea Reeb was 'unconstitutional' as she serves in the New Mexico House of Representatives. 

A motion to the court filed on behalf of the Hollywood star - a Democrat and vocal Donald Trump critic - says she 'must' be taken off the case.

Desperate Alec Baldwin asks court to DISQUALIFY special prosecutor assigned to his involuntary manslaughter case because her position as a Republican lawmaker makes appointment 'unconstitutional'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11724043/Alec-Baldwin-asks-court-DISQUALIFY-special.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #543 on: February 07, 2023, 03:51:22 PM »
Alex Baldwin being Alex Baldwin

Desperate Alec Baldwin asks court to DISQUALIFY special prosecutor assigned to his involuntary manslaughter case because her position as a Republican lawmaker makes appointment 'unconstitutional'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11724043/Alec-Baldwin-asks-court-DISQUALIFY-special.html

Maybe we should encourage this to set a precedent. It seems I read about way more bias issues with liberal prosecutors and judges than those who are conservative.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #544 on: February 07, 2023, 04:02:51 PM »
Maybe we should encourage this to set a precedent. It seems I read about way more bias issues with liberal prosecutors and judges than those who are conservative.

It’s cute that you think it would result in conservatives being able to replace partisan democrats when it’s their ass on the line.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #545 on: February 07, 2023, 04:17:19 PM »
It’s cute that you think it would result in conservatives being able to replace partisan democrats when it’s their ass on the line.

I was more joking around than anything else, but I certainly like backfirey kinda stuff like the Reid Rule precedent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #546 on: February 20, 2023, 05:46:28 PM »
Some charges dropped

Prosecutors have dropped a key charge against Alec Baldwin which would have seen him jailed for five years after shooting dead 'Rust' cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

The Santa Fe County District Attorney's office has dropped a gun enhancement charge against the actor - meaning that even if he is convicted of the involuntary manslaughter charge, he may not spend any time behind bars.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11772781/Santa-Fe-prosecutors-DROP-key-gun-enhancement-charge-against-Alec-Baldwin-Rust-shooting.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #547 on: February 20, 2023, 07:12:21 PM »
Some charges dropped
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11772781/Santa-Fe-prosecutors-DROP-key-gun-enhancement-charge-against-Alec-Baldwin-Rust-shooting.html

I sort of agree with that almost kind of.
While I think he is a major dumbass and certainly guilty of negligent homicide I don't think he intended to kill anyone. I was thinking the gun enhancement charges were for intentional use of a gun in a crime (armed robbery and such) and really shouldn't apply here.
However, *expletive deleted*ck him.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #548 on: April 20, 2023, 04:27:43 PM »
And he will not face criminal charges.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alec-baldwin-criminal-charges-fatal-rust-shooting-dropped-lawyers

So anyone who didn't see this coming down the pike please raise your hands............... anyone?????

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #549 on: April 20, 2023, 04:34:15 PM »
And he will not face criminal charges.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/alec-baldwin-criminal-charges-fatal-rust-shooting-dropped-lawyers

So anyone who didn't see this coming down the pike please raise your hands............... anyone?????

bob

I think TPTB kicked that can far enough down the road that most people have forgotten about Baldwin being a murderer.  That was probably by design.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.