Author Topic: Shooting in Boise: two dead, four injured  (Read 719 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Shooting in Boise: two dead, four injured
« on: October 25, 2021, 07:35:45 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/police-6-injured-including-officer-in-idaho-mall-shooting/

At the Boise Towne Square, the largest mall in Idaho.  The shooter was captured alive.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Shooting in Boise: two dead, four injured
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:42:33 PM »
Was this another one of those attempts to assassinate that super-agent that retired to Idaho a couple of years ago? The one that just claims to be a "government employee"?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 07:47:40 PM »
Was this another one of those attempts to assassinate that super-agent that retired to Idaho a couple of years ago? The one that just claims to be a "government employee"?

If that "super-agent" goes to Boise then he deserves what he gets. There are plenty of places to spend money in Idaho without going into that city!  ;) :)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 10:13:19 PM »
Is the Boise Towne Square Mall a gun-free zone (in theory)?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 10:14:44 PM »
Where was the Mall Ninja?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 10:35:35 PM »
I found my answer. This news report is fake news. Boise Towne Square Mall is a gun-free zone, so this alleged shooting obviously could not have happened.

https://www.boisetownesquare.com/en/code-of-conduct.html

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 12:52:28 AM »
I've never seen any signs posted or at least I never noticed. I never considered it a GFZ. We don't have anything like 30.06 signs or anything so GFZ is a little fuzzy here. I'm not sure if buried in mall terms of service on a website I've never seen counts.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 08:06:23 AM »
Uhm.... where's Ben?

Did he slip off the deep end?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 08:24:20 AM »
I've never been to that mall, but there are no "gun free zones" in Idaho outside of:

In Idaho, private guns are prohibited in care facilities (veterans, children), court houses, mental health clinics, the 'Capitol Mall area', detention facilities61 and schools62 24 25

I forget what the zone is around the Capitol - something like 1/4 mile. It is of course violated on a regular basis with no consequences whenever there is any kind of pro freedom gathering at the Capitol. I'm sure I have violated it on numerous occasions walking from wherever I parked to some downtown restaurant.

Anyone putting a "no guns" sign up doesn't get to do any more than call you a trespasser and ask you to leave.

I wouldn't be surprised if after this the very liberal Boise Mayor attempts, in conjunction with the Boise police Chief (formerly of Portland), attempt some kind of city-wide regulation, which they will fail at.  We haven't (yet) gone far enough down the "cities control the state" path.

https://www.idaho.gov/laws-public-safety/gun-weapon-law/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:46:02 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »
I've never seen any signs posted or at least I never noticed. I never considered it a GFZ. We don't have anything like 30.06 signs or anything so GFZ is a little fuzzy here. I'm not sure if buried in mall terms of service on a website I've never seen counts.

I'll bet if you look carefully there will be a small sign or placard posted somewhere near each entrance to the mall (not the anchor stores, the actual entrances directly into the mall) with those terms of service spelled out. I've never been in a mall that didn't have them posted. IMHO they are trying to have their cake and eat it, too. They know that nobody will read those signs, but they can claim that the rules are posted so, if you get busted carrying in the mall they can legally ask you to leave.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 12:51:22 PM »
Local news has been very lacking on this, other than interviews with people in the mall who were nowhere near the incident being interviewed as "traumatized for life". Authorities have still not released the shooter's name, which of course makes me start speculating on demographics.

One story talked about a victim being treated for a head injury after tripping and falling as he fled the scene. They did not make clear if they were counting him as a "shooting victim" or not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 01:11:42 PM »
"They did not make clear if they were counting him as a "shooting victim" or not."

Officials may not be, but I'm sure that the VPC is. Along with all of the people who are claiming psychological trauma.

They're ALL victims in the eleventybillionth mass shooting in America this week!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 02:01:43 PM »
They're ALL victims in the eleventybillionth mass shooting in America this week!

Emotion and sorrow for the actual victims aside, this isn't even a mass shooting. My understanding is that three people have to die for it to qualify as such, and the shooter is expected to live (they shouldn't count the shooter, but they do anyway). Boise ain't got nothing on a weekend evening in Chicago.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 06:13:51 PM »
^^^From the article:

Evidence indicates the suspect was contacted by a security officer on the first floor of the building near a department store on the west side of the building.

The suspect shot the security officer who died at the scene.

The (presumably unarmed) mall cop was not paid enough to die. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 10:05:50 PM »
Emotion and sorrow for the actual victims aside, this isn't even a mass shooting. My understanding is that three people have to die for it to qualify as such, and the shooter is expected to live (they shouldn't count the shooter, but they do anyway). Boise ain't got nothing on a weekend evening in Chicago.

The lib government types floating around my workplace have indicated that a "mass shooting" is one in which there are two or more people injured by gunfire in a single incident.  I find that definition entertaining,  as it leaves open the inclusion of the original bad guy in the stats
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 10:54:30 PM »
The lib government types floating around my workplace have indicated that a "mass shooting" is one in which there are two or more people injured by gunfire in a single incident.  I find that definition entertaining,  as it leaves open the inclusion of the original bad guy in the stats

They keep changing the definition (lowering the victim count) so they can include more incidents in their count.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 11:05:39 PM »
Apparently the mall cop was young, ex-millitary, and trans (not sure which "direction"). We still know nothing about the shooter, which makes me suspect that Coulter's law is in effect.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2021, 07:52:51 AM »

You're confusing mass shooting with mass killing, which is understandable, because there are multiple definitions that aren't used consistently. But check out the (my) bolded section near the bottom...

This is from (OH MY GOD NO!) Wikipedia...

"There are a variety of definitions of mass shooting:[6][7]

*Under U.S. federal law, the Attorney General – on a request from a state – may assist in investigating “mass killings,” rather than mass shootings. The term is defined as the murder of four or more people with no cooling-off period[8][7] but redefined by Congress in 2013 as being murder of three or more people.[9]

*In “Behind the Bloodshed”, a report by USA Today, a mass killing is defined as: any incident in which four or more were killed, including familial killings.[10] This definition is also used by the Washington Post,[11] and similarly Mother Jones defined it as a single attack in a public place where four or more were killed, but have since 2013 changed the threshold to three or more victims being killed due to federal mandate used in an investigation on mass shootings that was initiated by former President Barack Obama.[12]

*A crowdsourced data site cited by CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Economist, the BBC, etc., Mass Shooting Tracker, defines a mass shooting as any incident in which four or more people are shot, whether injured or killed.[13][14]

*According to the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012, signed into law in January 2013, a mass killing is defined as a killing with at least three deaths, excluding the perpetrator.[15][16]

*CBS defines that a mass shooting is an event involving the shooting (not necessarily resulting in death) of five or more people (sometimes four)[17] with no cooling-off period.[13][17][18]

*Crime violence research group Gun Violence Archive, whose research is used by all major American media outlets, defines mass shooting as “FOUR or more shot and killed in a single event [incident], at the same general time and location, not including the shooter,” differentiating between mass shooting and mass murder and not counting shooters as victims.[19]

*Though there are several different definitions of a mass shooting, there are also certain inclusions and exclusions. University of Pennsylvania says no matter how many people are killed, if a shooting occurs by a foreign terrorist that is not included. Another exclusion is if 10 people are shot but only 2 die. Also if 5 people are run over by a car that does not count because no firearm was used. Some inclusions are multiple deaths caused by an armed robbery. Deaths as a result of gang wars are also sometimes included.[20]

The lack of a single definition can lead to alarmism in the news media, with some reports conflating categories of different crimes.[21]

An act of mass shooting is typically defined as terrorist when it “appears to have been intended” to intimidate or to coerce people;[22] although a mass shooting is not, in itself, an act of terrorism.[5]"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 08:05:48 AM »
Yeah, I figured there were "multiple definitions". I was just going by what local news was reporting. This morning one of the other news stations switched it from three to four deaths:

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/verify/verify-boise-mall-shooting-mass-shooting/277-9567ef42-0303-4681-b769-3cba5b6608a6

Note how the "Gun Violence Archive" (we can guess their politics) defines it compared to the FBI in the above link.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 05:00:36 PM »
Well, this isn't good 2nd Amendment PR-wise:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article255331166.html?ac_cid=DM554657&ac_bid=-2136253271

Looks like he was a "gun rights" advocate. At least for felons with guns.