Author Topic: You can't win elections without $$$  (Read 1033 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
You can't win elections without $$$
« on: November 03, 2021, 10:11:19 PM »
... or can you?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/11/03/that-truck-driver-who-spent-153-on-his-campaign-has-unseated-the-democratic-incumbent/

TL;DR: New Jersey truck driver runs for office, spends $153 on his campaign, and beats a long-time Democrat.

BREAKING: MAJOR UPSET IN NEW JERSEY SD-3!!

Republican @edwarddurr1 ousted Democrat Steve Sweeney, ending his eleven year run as Senate President.

Congrats, Edward!
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: You can't win elections without $$$
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 11:06:41 PM »
Beautiful. Didn't Clinton's campaign massively outspend Trump's?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 11:12:43 PM »
Essentially, both parties have lost power, and the funders are going to start wanting payback that can't be allowed...
Blog under construction

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 11:06:10 AM »
Beautiful. Didn't Clinton's campaign massively outspend Trump's?

Trump spent about half what Clinton did.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 11:54:05 AM »
He may say 153 dollars but I would bet it was more than that. He had a TV commercial and admitted he must have gone to 20,000 homes door knocking. That takes gas. He will probably file an amended financial disclosure that is closer to 5K or so. Even so, what he spent would have been minuscule compared to what his opponent probably spent.

With his opponent being the State Senate President and a long time law maker in NJ I am more surprised he didn't disappear when it looked like he could be a real threat. They could have blamed it on the NJ Devil!

bob

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
He may say 153 dollars but I would bet it was more than that. He had a TV commercial and admitted he must have gone to 20,000 homes door knocking. That takes gas. He will probably file an amended financial disclosure that is closer to 5K or so. Even so, what he spent would have been minuscule compared to what his opponent probably spent.

Correct. My understanding is that the current disclosure only covers the primary. There is also spending from outside groups. For example, in 2019 the teachers union spent over $5 million campaigning against Sweeney (although they endorsed him this year  ??? )
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 01:20:20 PM »
I ran for office last year, spent approximately $25,000 on signs and mailers.  My opponent spent approximately $75,000.  She won.  Wasn't close.

There are exceptions to the rule, but successfully running for office costs a lot of money.   
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 01:23:36 PM »
^^^I wonder if there is any actual data showing a return on investment of the various forms of publicity while running for political office.  Do signs and flyers really help, or is it mailpieces and TV commercials?  Where can you spend your advertising dollars and get the biggest payback?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 01:27:08 PM »
^^^I wonder if there is any actual data showing a return on investment of the various forms of publicity while running for political office.  Do signs and flyers really help, or is it mailpieces and TV commercials?  Where can you spend your advertising dollars and get the biggest payback?

I've no doubt that campaigns and parties have studied that exhaustively, not to mention the poli-sci boffins.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 03:11:05 PM »
I've no doubt that campaigns and parties have studied that exhaustively, not to mention the poli-sci boffins.
I also have no doubt the people who make signs, posters, TV commercials, radio commercials, email spam, etc, etc all have their own information showing them how what they are selling will help the candidate.  Also, I am sure there are friend of a friend deals among professional campaign people. 

Just saying that they should know all that, but there are lots of people who will muddy the waters to make sure their product appears to be the best. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 03:50:14 PM »
It has been a while, but I remember reading a report that during presidential election years, between the Federal, state and local elections, billions of dollars are spent on advertising political races.

ETA: https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/where-does-the-money-go-spending-on-campaign-advertising-is-increasing-and-diversifying/article_ba62a412-f903-511f-a304-e83d7a46265a.html

The hot advertising medium right now is digital video ads on social media.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 12:44:30 AM »
It has been a while, but I remember reading a report that during presidential election years, between the Federal, state and local elections, billions of dollars are spent on advertising political races.

ETA: https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/where-does-the-money-go-spending-on-campaign-advertising-is-increasing-and-diversifying/article_ba62a412-f903-511f-a304-e83d7a46265a.html

The hot advertising medium right now is digital video ads on social media.

A passing fad, my boy. What you want to do is have your ads run at the local theater, between the news reels and the feature. It's can't-miss!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »
BREAKING: New Jersey Senate President Won’t Concede to Republican Truck Driver – Says “12,000 Ballots Recently Found in One County”
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/11/breaking-new-jersey-senate-president-wont-concede-republican-truck-driver-says-12000-ballots-recently-found-one-county/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 12:49:24 PM »
BREAKING: New Jersey Senate President Won’t Concede to Republican Truck Driver – Says “12,000 Ballots Recently Found in One County”
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/11/breaking-new-jersey-senate-president-wont-concede-republican-truck-driver-says-12000-ballots-recently-found-one-county/

I wondered when this would happen? At least they aren't into the perpetual recount like they did in WA state years ago when Gregoire eventually beat Rossi on the 3rd count (the hand recount).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Washington_gubernatorial_election

It is the way of the Democrats, keep counting until it works for you, absent that we have to give time for the "uncounted" ballots to show up.

If anyone believes the incumbent in that race is not as crooked as a dog's hind leg I have some land right off the coast you may be interested in.

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 07:50:35 PM »
Of course he's racist, sexist, homophobic, and transphobic now.

The Milkshake Ducking of American hero Edward Durr has begun
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/11/05/the-milkshake-ducking-of-american-hero-edward-durr-has-begun/

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:14:18 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 11:33:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/AlexandraWilkes/status/1458246382146437121

Sen.-Elect Ed Durr on @SaveJersey live when asked about @TheAtlantic’s contention that he doesn’t know how to govern in the New Jersey legislature:

“How much worse could I make it?”
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden