Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith  (Read 5804 times)

Chris

Revenge of the Sith
« on: May 19, 2005, 05:21:15 AM »
Okay, I'll admit it.  I'm a Star Wars geek.  I don't have a constume, mainly because I have a wife and kids, and can't afford Stormtrooper armor.  BUt, I have a good sized collection of other things, etc.  I've been a huge fan since the summer of 1977, when my parents took me to the drive-in to see Star Wars.  I have built this movie up in my mind so large that I'm afraid that I'm going to be disappointed, especially if it is anything like the last two prequals.  Sure, they had their moments, but they didn't live up to the originals.

I know there are others out there.  Some of you may have seen the film by now.  All I ask is, did it live up to your hopes/expectations?  Anyone disappointed?

Please let me know, so I can try to adjust my expectations.

Sean Smith

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 06:35:46 AM »
Reviews are actually good for this one.  Shocked

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

114 out of 137 (83%) positive reviews.  The first two prequels were in the low 60% range.

For comparison sake, the original SW was 93%, TESB was 98%, and ROTJ was 80% on the Tomatometer.

Consensus seems to be alot better than the previous 2, not as good as the best of the old movies, but alot closer.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 07:43:21 AM »
Review on my blog:

In short:  Go see it!

Warbow

• friend
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 09:08:04 AM »
I really liked it and I think Lucas finally pulled it off with this one.

Typhoon

• friend
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 01:59:32 PM »
Sad, but true...

So I had an off-site meeting this afternoon.  I got in the car and on the radio was Dr. Laura Schlessinger.  (FYI - Although I have agreed with her at times, I do not approve of pop-radio psychologists - too simplistic...)

Anyway, she railed on this particular Star Wars segment.   "I remember the first Star Wars when it was JUST a cute movie about robots, and there was the cute little Yoda with the ears and it was kid-friendly and yada yada yada.  I cannot believe that this one is so full of death and only got a PG rating and parents are letting their kids see this, and what is the world coming to??? and yada yada yada."  

Huh???  If I recall correctly, there was quite a bit of blowing up of stuff and shooting up of people and general carnage in all the movies.  Although I have not yet seen "Revenge of the Sith", I read the script (or, whatever closest manifestation that happened to be on the Internet at the time).  The series is called, "STAR WARS!"  Not "STAR CALMLY SIT DOWN AND DISCUSS YOUR DIFFERENCES."  

I was amazed at the vitriol expressed by the good "doctor."  I mean really...what do you expect?  The story is about how a formerly good kid descends into evil.  How might one expect this evil to manifest itself?  Harsh language?  Robbing Girl Scout cookie stands?  Oh, and, by the way, the movie got a PG-13 rating for a reason.  What ever happened to the notion of parents being responsible for screening the things their kids see?  To her credit, Laura paid some lip service to that particular idea, but dang!  

On the other hand, a huge portion of George Lucas' estate comes from the merchandising rights from the Star Wars franchise, which he owns exclusively.  Most adults don't collect action figures or care if Darth Vader pitches Burger King food.  ("Revenge of the Merchandisers.")  Kids, however, do.  All the same, crass materialism aside, I did find her reaction to be a tad over the top.  

Better yet was the article in the Los Angeles Times this Sunday.  It presents the idea that the Sith movie may just be an allegory to the "potential death of democracy in the United States" as manifested by the "baseless war in Iraq" (my quotes.)  http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-et-starwars16may16,0,4708228.story

Here's another good one:  http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-et-starwars18may18,0,4457530.story

What nonsense!!!
To the stars!

Mulliga

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 02:13:11 PM »
I thought the movie was decent, but still pretty bad. Not much better than Episode I and II.

The dialogue is still laughably wooden.

The constant CGI still gets really annoying after awhile.

The fighting sequences weren't as good as I'd hoped (especially "The Duel").

Just my opinion.

Antibubba

• friend
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 07:21:52 PM »
Just got back from it.  Ian MacDermid's performance is excellent!  He almost steals it.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

thorn

• friend
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 08:24:50 PM »
my buddy just left, told me about it- he said it was really really excellent, and he didnt like the last two.
i liked ep. 2 , 1 was not so great. seems like this is a GREAT one

Sean Smith

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 02:44:08 AM »
I think people are reading the anti-Bush message into it.  The movie says being bad is, um, bad.  That's about it, folks.  rolleyes

Risasi

• friend
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 06:54:55 AM »
I tried to get my Star Wars/Sci-Fi geek juices flowing last night. I failed. I'm not even gonna bother to see it. Darth Vader has no hold on me anymore.

Michael Mann is my daddy now...

bobs1066

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 04:59:16 PM »
I've been seeing this line tossed around on the internet. Obi-Wan is talking to somebody & says: "Only a Sith thinks in absolutes." Think about that for a second, "ONLY a Sith thinks in absolutes." That's pretty much an absolute statement itself.
So, is Obi-Wan a Sith or is he just full of wild blueberry muffins?

Nightfall

• friend
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 11:19:06 AM »
Best Star Wars movie ever.

The script, special effects, and acting are better than the first two prequels (I was pretty bored by the first, enjoyed the second more though). This one stirred emotions and stimulated the mind, which is the hallmark of a great film, IMHO. Easily the darkest Star Wars by a good margin. Awesome film.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 11:36:59 AM »
I didn't think the first two were all that bad, just didn't live up to expectations.  The real problem I am having is with all the CGI in the movies.  The first ones were void of a lot of what was in the new ones, and I think that made them a bit better movie.

When people sit around for 30 (20?  Can't remember) years building up the next movie in their minds, it isn't going to live to their expectations.  Doesn't keep them from being good movies, but they just don't live to expectations.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

cordex

• Administrator
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 12:32:34 PM »
jefnvk,
Considering the first two as movies in their own right - distinct from the series - I still think they were awful.  The acting was awful, the story boring and the dialog mind numbing.  I mean seriously ...
"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."
Are you kidding me?

I think that if they hadn't had the name to prop them up they would have flopped completely.

javafiend

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 12:36:45 PM »
"Revenge of the Sith" pretty much sucked IMHO.  This review in The New Yorker is spot on. http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/050523crci_cinema

"The Empire Strikes Back" (directed by Irvin Kershner) was my favorite.

javafiend

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 07:22:04 PM »
There were a few parts that I liked.

"You are either with me  or you are my enemy."  Darth Vader
"Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." George Bush

I have a funny pic that I wish I could post.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 04:24:12 AM »
I do believe that these movies were written (at least outlined as to what happened) back in the 70's.  So, those of you saying it is Bush that he was trying to make Vader like, are probably wrong.  Just like the people that insist the Lord of the Rings was based on WWII.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Skunkabilly

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 06:15:32 AM »
Haven't seen it, but I'm skipping it.

It's not like we don't already know the ending!
Ninja...vanish....

armedcitizen

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 06:31:40 AM »
I saw it Saturday night with my son.  It was just OK.  I thought it did a good job of pulling everything together and explaining how everybody gets to where they are at the beginning on the first one (episode IV).  I did not think the special effects were very well done.  At times I thought it looked animated.  The light saber duals were horribly done--way too bright.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 07:45:22 PM »
javafiend, that's a great review.

The dialog in the second and third episodes (I still haven't watched much of episode 1) was stilted and terse to make room for the repetitive, completely unrealistic (even within the Star Wars mythology) battles and special effects.  The powers the Jedi display are inconsistent throughout the newer trilogy.  The behavior of the Jedi is also ridiculous.  Why would they act as one-man armies?

This new trilogy has blackened the Jedi concept as I hope Lucas originally envisioned it.  If the Jedi were as unwise as they are in this latest episode, they deserved extermination for claiming any authority whatsoever.  I'm not sure what authority they do have, other than being VIPs within the Republic and being immune from the laws.  Part of the point of an allegory is that it has to be realistic.  Give all of the Jedi a mummy wrap, change light sabers to foils... then would anyone take it as something more than a comedy?

It is irrelevant whether Lucas tweaked the script to be more salient in this era, or whether it remained true to his original vision in which case this is a case of life immitating art immitating life.  There is a fair amount of shallow political commentary.

Padme: Have you ever considered that we may be on the wrong side?
Anakin: What do you mean?
Padme: What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
Anakin: I don't believe that, and you're sounding like a separatist.
Padme: This war represents a failure to listen.

Palpatine: Remember back to your early teachings.  All who gain power are afraid to lose it, even the Jedi.
Anakin: The Jedi use their power for good.
Palpatine: "Good" is a point of view, Anakin.  The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power.
Anakin: The Sith rely on their passion for their strength.  They think inwards, only about themselves.
Palpatine: And the Jedi don't?
Anakin: The Jedi are selfless.  They only care about others.

Windu: The Jedi Council would have to take control of the Senate in order to secure a peaceful transition.
Yoda: To a dark place this line of thought will carry us.  Mmmm.. great care we must take.

Windu: He has control of the Senate and the Courts.  He is too dangerous to be left alive.

Emperor: In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the First Galactic Empire for a safe and secure society.
Padme: So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause.

Vader: If you're not with me, then you're my enemy.
Obi-wan: Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Vader: I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over.
Obi-wan: Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!
Vader: From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.
Obi-wan: You are lost!

...and some humor...
Palpatine: I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Typhoon

• friend
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 08:35:08 AM »
The New Yorker review was a fun read.  MeeYow, indeed!  Dripping with cynicism, but&OK.  Whether we want to attribute Lucas script to contemporary politics, or to the musings of an aging Vietnam-era baby boomer, there is no escaping the fact that Star Wars is part of the American cultural experience.

So be it.  I think I can handle one ticket to further enrich Mr. Lucas&I have identified the 8:40 am showing at the Westwood Mann Village theatre on Friday as the place and time to conclude my Star Wars experience.  (I do love being an independent consultant...)  All the goodies will be there (digital projection, THX, huge screen, and hopefully fewer people who have not yet mastered the difficult practice of sitting down and shutting up and generally not being rude jerks) so well see.    

May the Force be with you.
To the stars!

Sean Smith

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 05:14:59 AM »
My background:

I really liked the original trilogy, though the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi were annoying.  I thought Episode I sucked outright, and Episode II was better, but was still pretty mediocre.

Episode III was alot better.  Not up to the old movies, but alot better and at least in the same ballpark in terms of all-around quality as the old movies.

For one thing, Episode III has more events happen to more people that are more significant to the overall story than the previous two movies combined.  So it starts with the potential to be alot more interesting.  I'll go as far as to say that Episode III shows Episodes I & II to be almost totally unnecessary to telling the Annakin/Vader story.

Annakin and Obi-Wan actually seem like they were buddies at the beginning.  The big opening action scene with them reminds you of the fun factor of the old Star Wars action scenes.  There are some good one-liners here, too, and the little bits of "situational" humor work better.  

Palpatine was just alot of fun to watch, he was such a subtle evil weasel when pretending to be a good guy, and when he comes out in the open, he is a COMPLETELY over-the-top maniac.  You could make a GOOD argument that this was way overdone, but it was still fun to watch.

Annakin is improved quite a bit, Padme is still basically furniture with boobs.  Obi-Wan is ALOT better, I'd say Ewan McGregor pretty much nails the character this time.  Mace Windu coasts mostly on resudial Samuel L. Jackson bad-ass fumes, but is still OK.  The CGI is alot better in this fim, but is overused and sometimes headache-inducing even on DLP.

No Jar-Jar at all, no bad child actors, less bad romance, less bitchiness and more evil from the future Vader, no C3P0 bad pun/slapstick "humor."  

My overall ranking:

Star Wars: A
Empire Strikes Back: A
Return of the Jedi: B+
The Phantom Menace: C-
Attack of the Clones: C+
Revenge of the Sith: B

Antibubba

• friend
Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 06:58:21 AM »
Take a look at this: http://darthside.blogspot.com
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

larry_minn

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 07:13:02 AM »
Well I saw it last night...>TWICE...  It was well worth the price of admission.  (free)   Smiley  
  I would not pay $6 to see it.  The script at times was rather lame.  Sad     SPOILER the death of Paduma (sp) reminded me of Independence day the Presidents wifes death.  Her acting up till then had been poor but her death....  Of course they could have helped her a lot.  Such as some of the moniters flashing/the droid saying (we are loosing her) ANY action to reinforce she is dying (not falling asleep)  Would have helped.  
  Some of the fights did go on too long.  Wife fell asleep second time and I took a bathroom break during one and still going on when I got back.  
   OK they wiped C3 PO's mind but NOT R2 D2?  Wouldn't he tell 3PO?  Why didn't Kenobie remember R2 D2 in ORIGINAL Star Wars?  
  MY biggest question.  COULD Samual L Jackson's character have killed the Dark Lord if Anikin had not interfered?  Or was Dark Lord just playing with him to get Anikin?    Dark Vader was a idiot.  He was lied to again and again by Dark Lord and still believes he will save his gal.  
  The clone turnaround was nicely done.   It was a good movie just not great.  
  To be fair we expect PERFECTION from Lucas.  Or at least to have our emotions pulled/feeling for actors.   The clone turnaround was only scene.

SouthpawShootr

Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2005, 05:23:12 PM »
Just saw it tonight.  I thought it was quite good.  It was something to watch the people exiting at the end though.  NOBODY was saying anything.  Only noise was rustling of clothes and so forth.  Of course the ending was quite depressing but we all knew what had to happen.