Author Topic: Beef heart jerky  (Read 832 times)

JonnyB

• friend
Beef heart jerky
« on: November 26, 2021, 06:46:38 PM »
I picked up some beef (ground & steaks) yesterday from a friend of Son 1. When first asking about it, I inquired about a heart and some dog bones. They had a fresh heart and two boxes of bones from that morning’s kill, so it was given to us - free (as were  the bones).

This morning, Mrs. B. and I trimmed and sliced the heart; it’s now marinating in a bag of olive oil, tomato sauce (home-made), canning salt, black pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, Worchestershire (sp?) sauce and crushed red pepper. Tomorrow, it goes onto the dehydrator. I may give it some smoke on the Weber after it’s dry - the jury’s out on that.

We’ve used heart before; it makes fine jerky, as there’s no fat marbling in the muscle. The marinade was a random mix, so can’t be replicated. I hope it works…

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Beef heart jerky
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 06:53:49 PM »
I picked up some beef (ground & steaks) yesterday from a friend of Son 1. When first asking about it, I inquired about a heart and some dog bones. They had a fresh heart and two boxes of bones from that morning’s kill, so it was given to us - free (as were  the bones).

This morning, Mrs. B. and I trimmed and sliced the heart; it’s now marinating in a bag of olive oil, tomato sauce (home-made), canning salt, black pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, Worchestershire (sp?) sauce and crushed red pepper. Tomorrow, it goes onto the dehydrator. I may give it some smoke on the Weber after it’s dry - the jury’s out on that.

We’ve used heart before; it makes fine jerky, as there’s no fat marbling in the muscle. The marinade was a random mix, so can’t be replicated. I hope it works…

JB

I'll have to try that if I can find some heart meat w/o paying a premium for it.  My marinade for beef jerky is just 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper per pound of trimmed meat.  No soy.  (someday I will try Morton Tender Quick instead of salt to see what the nitrite does to it)
"It's good, though..."

JonnyB

• friend
Re: Beef heart jerky
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 06:21:50 PM »
Six hours in the dehydrator, then about two on the Weber. A small pile of charcoal briquettes and a bunch of dry apple wood worked well. The temp was high enough to kill anything that survived the dryer, and the smoke level is good.

Nom! It’s pretty mild; even Mrs. B. Likes it, which is not common. I sprinkled more salt and fine black pepper on it…

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!