Main Forums > The Roundtable

Random Orbit Sander Recommendations?

<< < (2/3) > >>

tokugawa:
Mine are all PC, 5" disk, dump the dust can and hook it up to a small shop vac with a 1" hose, with a fine bag and a pleated filter.
I would not bother with a battery type for much use, as the vac needs a cord anyway.

HankB:
Looking at the reviews, Bosch ($59), DeWalt ($75), and Makita ($89) all seem to have their adherents.

Bosch seems to lead in smoothness and dust collection, but is slowest at removing stock and is more easily stalled if you press down too hard. (Ok, ok, "Let the sander do the work and don't force it!") Some have commented that they don't use it at any but the highest speed. I have a Bosch 1590EVS jigsaw I purchased gently-used on Ebay and really like it; it has secondary blade guides similar to Festool's to keep the blade straight. So I know Bosch made some good stuff.

DeWalt and Makita both are praised for their higher power. I have a little detail sander from Makita that does what it's supposed to, but I owned a DeWalt jigsaw for about 6 hours before I returned it because the blade kept falling out - a problem other people had with it, too. (A B&D drill I have works fine - made, of course, by the same parent company as DeWalt. BUT - I DID have trouble finding a replacement switch. As I did for a B&D router.) One Makita review was critical of the dust collection bag, but I figure I'll either be using it outside or using my shop vac to collect the dust.

Decisions, decisions . . .

cordex:

--- Quote from: HankB on November 27, 2021, 11:10:28 AM ---One Makita review was critical of the dust collection bag,

--- End quote ---
I have mostly used mine with the shop vac, but I guess the bag works okay - just fills up fast.

zahc:
What do you actually use these for?

I've never had one or wanted one. What am I missing?

HankB:

--- Quote from: zahc on November 27, 2021, 10:32:14 PM ---What do you actually use these for?

--- End quote ---
Since I don't have one (yet!) I was hoping for someone else to jump in, but I'll try to answer your question.

You use them for sanding.

:rofl:

Seriously, random orbital sanders both spin a round piece of sandpaper around the axis of the sander, and move the center of the rotation as well - this randomizes the motion and helps to prevent swirl marks as well as producing a fine finish with fast stock removal. They're popular for sanding the top of surfaces like butcher block tables and/or cutting boards since they can level surfaces made up of different woods and grain directions. Like all tools, you have to be aware of what you're doing and manage your technique, sander speed setting, and sandpaper grit in order to get good results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version