Author Topic: Reacher series on Prime  (Read 2844 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Reacher series on Prime
« on: December 07, 2021, 10:47:19 AM »
Prime just dropped the new Reacher series trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSycMV-_Csw

No date given other than "Coming Soon". My guess would be sometime early 2022.

They definitely they got someone with the physical presence to pull off the character, but based on the trailer I don't have high hopes for his acting skills. I'll give it a watch, though. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Reacher series on Prime
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 12:14:45 PM »
At least he looks like a guy who could do what the Reacher character does.  Might even be a bit of an a-hole (which fits the character also).  Hope the gun trivia doesn't suck, but it wouldn't take much to be better than the books.  If it is at least not too political, it looks like it might be fun to watch. 

I read 4 or 5 of the books if I remember correctly.  Got a bit tired of them.  I have a few more I never got around to reading.

On the other hand, more Expanse on Dec 10th.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »
At least he looks like a guy who could do what the Reacher character does.  Might even be a bit of an a-hole (which fits the character also).  Hope the gun trivia doesn't suck, but it wouldn't take much to be better than the books.  If it is at least not too political, it looks like it might be fun to watch. 

I read 4 or 5 of the books if I remember correctly.  Got a bit tired of them.  I have a few more I never got around to reading.

On the other hand, more Expanse on Dec 10th.

Yikes! I was unaware of The Expanse drop. Looking forward to it, even though they pulled some SJW crap last year and killed one of my favorite characters.

On the Reacher books - I have never read them. Any commie pinko stuff interjected, or are they fairly readable stories? I liked the Reacher movies despite the physical disparity between Cruise and the character. If the books are similar, I could read them. I have no time anymore for reading (or watching) stuff that injects an author's commie SJW politics.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »
I liked the first one or two Reacher books.  The author is a good writer.  Mainly it was just that Reacher is a pretty big A-hole in a couple of books.  That kind of turns me off on wanting to read more.

The worst IMO was a book that had him going through West Texas.  Seemed like everyone he met in the book was either a racist white person or a poor illegal Mexican.  Add in the virtuous Ivy League grad doing pro-bono legal work.  That one was hard to get through. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 03:56:32 PM »
I liked the first one or two Reacher books.  The author is a good writer.  Mainly it was just that Reacher is a pretty big A-hole in a couple of books.  That kind of turns me off on wanting to read more.

The worst IMO was a book that had him going through West Texas.  Seemed like everyone he met in the book was either a racist white person or a poor illegal Mexican.  Add in the virtuous Ivy League grad doing pro-bono legal work.  That one was hard to get through.

Sounds about right :D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 12:34:20 AM »
Series has dropped. Binged the first four episodes. Very surprised, and in a good way.

Looks like they're doing a whole season per book. First season is based on book one in the series, Killing Floor. Without going back and re-reading to compare, seems the show is following the book almost word for word. Nice. I thought the guy who was playing Reacher was a bit wooden in the trailer. Turns out that works pretty well in the show, playing to the character as originally written.

Another surprise was the production company, Skydance Television. I'm presuming, but guessing that it's the TV subsidiary of Skydance Productions, producer of the two Reacher movies. It's also a Tom Cruise company. Guess he found a way to stay in the Reacher franchise after all, just not as the main character.

SWMBO got into it so it must be pretty decent outside the environs of Reacher fans. Give it a watch if you have the chance.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 07:58:32 AM »
Is it the first four and then they're doing one a week, or did the whole series drop? If the former, I don't want to start watching until all the episodes drop. I'm definitely watching it though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 09:29:15 AM »
Eight episodes in all so I guess it's a full season.

Brad
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 10:35:00 AM »
I was having trouble sleeping last night and watched a few episodes and really enjoyed it so far. 

However, if I hear about a lightweight 9mm projectile I definitely don't assume it is subsonic.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 09:30:09 PM »
The Tom Cruise Reacher: A hyperactive hamster on meth who thinks he is a mongoose.

Whatever this guy's name is Reacher: A zen enigma, who doesn't know how to count to three, and who doesn't care.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 10:31:29 PM »
In April 1933 he was hospitalized with pneumonia and never fully recovered. On December 1, 1934, after three weeks of decline, Beatrice Blake summoned an ambulance. He suffered a pulmonary hemorrhage and died on the way to the hospital. The cause of death was listed as pulmonary tuberculosis.

They don't really call him a Bluesman, like Mississippi Fred... They list him for ragtime guitar...

https://youtu.be/2yPOl__CeXE
Blog under construction

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 11:49:10 AM »
I watched it yesterday. Better than the movies.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 04:08:06 PM »
Just finished the last episode. Is is inded a book per season affair, at least for now. Even more surprising is how well they followed the book all the way through. Couple of deviations, though none enough to be of note. Even then, they obviously did what they could to stay with the book's spirit. Last episode even had a "blink and you'll miss it" walk-by cameo by Lee Childs.

Only thing that really made me chuckle was the V8 engine sound they used for the V6 Tauri cop cars. No one but a gearhead would notice so no harm, no foul.

Yeah, it'll be on the list when the next season drops.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 05:58:23 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 08:21:57 PM »
Watched the first two episodes today.  I like it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 09:19:54 PM »
I just finished the first episode. I like it too.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 10:33:46 PM »
EWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2022, 12:04:11 AM »
Okayfine - I don't care how badass you are, and how wimpy the guy with it is... That many hits with a crowbar has got to do some major damage.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 12:48:23 AM »
And why didn't he take an AR or a shotty?
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 08:17:24 AM »
"I'm not a vagrant, I'm a hobo".  :rofl:

I need to look up that toothpicks in the door hinges trick to see if it's real.

I have had to cringe at a few firearms related comments and "facts" so far. Also, up to episode 6, apparently rifles don't exist. You know that you're facing ruthless snake eaters that will make you scream and beg for them to please kill you if they catch you, but you're guarding a family in the middle of nowhere with your pistol and one mag?

I'll be finishing Season one tonight and look forward to (confirmed!) season 2.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 09:58:20 AM »
Keep in mind that this is based on a book series that involves Reacher taking a .38 special round to the chest and it being "too weak to penetrate the pectoral muscle".

I wouldn't hold my breath for accurate firearms use.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2022, 10:39:49 AM »
Keep in mind that this is based on a book series that involves Reacher taking a .38 special round to the chest and it being "too weak to penetrate the pectoral muscle".

I wouldn't hold my breath for accurate firearms use.

Not unexpected, and I'm not letting it ruin the series, though I have had a few eyeroll strains already.  :laugh:

I almost think the movies had more firearms accuracy than the series. While I'm still a silencer amateur, some of the "silencer and subsonics" forensics tidbits they drop make me think they did zero background research, other than maybe watching some bad movies.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2022, 12:01:43 PM »
I read the first Reacher book, and thought it was pretty terrible.  Oh well.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »
I thought the guy was a good writer, but he sounds like he gets all his gun facts from someone who only knows bad Fudd lore and his main protagonist is a bit of an A hole who seems to be an expert at everything. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2022, 02:12:12 PM »
I thought the guy was a good writer, but he sounds like he gets all his gun facts from someone who only knows bad Fudd lore and his main protagonist is a bit of an A hole who seems to be an expert at everything.
This exactly.

Still fun reads.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2022, 04:03:20 PM »
Okayfine - I don't care how badass you are, and how wimpy the guy with it is... That many hits with a crowbar has got to do some major damage.

Agreed. Massively overdone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design