Author Topic: Pickup Bed Weight for Winter Traction  (Read 2369 times)

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
Re: Pickup Bed Weight for Winter Traction
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2024, 09:41:36 AM »
A block of concrete in the bed would make a really effective anti personnel round for the driver and passenger in the event of a collision.

So you're playing the inertia card?  I saw something recently about the dangers of leaving heavy crap on the back window shelf of a car in case of a sudden stop, e.g., due to a collision.  "A heavy crap in motion tends to stay in motion."  As it were. I think old Ike Newsom or somebody pointed that out.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2024, 09:48:29 AM »
Sorry, maybe I don’t understand something, but why do you all buy pickup and at the same time they are always empty and you have to put sandbags in the back?))

The fact is that I do a little (optional) work on accessories for pickup trucks (canopys, lids), but all my clients use pickups for utilitarian purposes (construction, landscaping, service), rarely does anyone use a pickup to move their own a** only…

Because, Karen. Because.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2024, 09:53:45 AM »
Huh. I never realized that owning a pick up REQUIRED someone to be using it for hauling for work 24x7x365.

Using it for personal hauling? Say for mulch for your yard, stone for your landscape, appliances, lumber from the home store, etc. That apparently isn't a reason to have a pick up so all of you posers with empty picks ups you don't use 24x7x365 for WORK! are just that... POSERS!

I guess I'm a poser for owning an AWD SUV but not going off road 24x7x365. Or, really, ever.

;/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2024, 10:07:36 AM »
Whereas I'll bust balls on Americans who tell me I don't need a truck, I'm giving Opportunity a break here. It's pretty common that Europeans don't comprehend our love of trucks, and are genuinely surprised, when they visit here, regarding the number of pickups on the road. It's a cultural disconnect.

That said, even a 100% work truck is gonna be empty sometimes and might need weight in the back. If I'm going to the home depot to buy 50 concrete blocks to build a wall, I'm kinda stuck if I drive there with the bed already full of stuff, versus with a layer of sandbags or whatever laid out on the bottom that I can stack stuff on top of.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2024, 10:09:32 AM »
Whereas I'll bust balls on Americans who tell me I don't need a truck, I'm giving Opportunity a break here. It's pretty common that Europeans don't comprehend our love of trucks, and are genuinely surprised, when they visit here, regarding the number of pickups on the road. It's a cultural disconnect.

That said, even a 100% work truck is gonna be empty sometimes and might need weight in the back. If I'm going to the home depot to buy 50 concrete blocks to build a wall, I'm kinda stuck if I drive there with the bed already full of stuff, versus with a layer of sandbags or whatever laid out on the bottom that I can stack stuff on top of.  =)

POSER!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2024, 10:24:02 AM »
A few bags of cat litter (for traction) or road salt.

My real-world experience with kitty litter is that is turns to slimy clay once it gets wet.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2024, 10:31:46 AM »
Sorry, maybe I don’t understand something, but why do you all buy pickup and at the same time they are always empty and you have to put sandbags in the back?))

The fact is that I do a little (optional) work on accessories for pickup trucks (canopys, lids), but all my clients use pickups for utilitarian purposes (construction, landscaping, service), rarely does anyone use a pickup to move their own ass only…

I'm looking for a vehicle to replace my current truck, I really want to go the mid-sized SUV route with a cargo trailer. The problem I am running into is my boat/motor/trailer weighs more than the 2000# towing capacity of most of the midsized SUVs (and my popup camper is close to 2000# loaded up). I'm finding out that I'm probably going to have to go with a pick up to fit most of my vehicle needs. I also live alone and I'm not really interested in owning 2 vehicles either, so I'm trying to find a one size fits all. Trust me, I hate paying for the gas in 4x4 truck to go road tripping.

Uranus is a gas giant.

griz

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2024, 10:47:21 AM »
Sounds like on-the-job, you just see them on-the-job, but off-the-job they haul their own asses around and you aren't there.  A lot of people only have the truck for all day-to-day driving.

Myself, I used the Lamborghini when not using the pick-um-up.

If you want to have a single, true, all-purpose vehicle, Lamborghini makes tractors.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2024, 10:57:04 AM »
I'm looking for a vehicle to replace my current truck, I really want to go the mid-sized SUV route with a cargo trailer. The problem I am running into is my boat/motor/trailer weighs more than the 2000# towing capacity of most of the midsized SUVs (and my popup camper is close to 2000# loaded up). I'm finding out that I'm probably going to have to go with a pick up to fit most of my vehicle needs. I also live alone and I'm not really interested in owning 2 vehicles either, so I'm trying to find a one size fits all. Trust me, I hate paying for the gas in 4x4 truck to go road tripping.

My wife's Bronco Sport Badlands can tow 2,200 lbs.  I'd call it more of a compact SUV, but it's a nice little ride, and roomier than it has any right to be on the inside.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2024, 11:07:13 AM »
My wife's Bronco Sport Badlands can tow 2,200 lbs.  I'd call it more of a compact SUV, but it's a nice little ride, and roomier than it has any right to be on the inside.

Not enough for my boat when fully loaded with fuel and sundries.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2024, 11:11:37 AM »
My Kiwi friends don't get the attraction of pickups.  They argue for a tow package and a small trailer.  Idea being you're not hauling around the trailer when you don't need it, and whatever car you have will be better for the 95% of its use.

They have a point but then you have to be able to store said trailer when not in use.  And that car (or SUV) might not have the towing capacity for what you need when you do haul stuff. 

Plus, red-blooded 'Muricans just like pickups more.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2024, 11:12:27 AM »
here you go. 7,000 lb towing capacity.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/model/g-class/suv/g63w4

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2024, 11:15:00 AM »
Isn't the 'ute still really popular in Australia?

I think that's where the entire concept originated back in the 1930s.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2024, 11:37:07 AM »
Isn't the 'ute still really popular in Australia?

I think that's where the entire concept originated back in the 1930s.

I saw a bunch while I was there last summer, so I'd say yeah, although there were a lot of HiLuxs and Rangers too.

Not enough for my boat when fully loaded with fuel and sundries.

Yeah I can see that.  You're probably up into the 4Runner/Explorer/Pathfinder sized SUVs, which while technically called "Mid-Sized" are getting big and pricey. They aren't quite trucks, but the new Ford Maverick w/ Tow package pulls 4k and a Ridgeline pulls 5k.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2024, 02:43:38 PM »
What's with these people driving around in Corollas all by themselves? They should all be riding motorcycles, says I!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2024, 04:50:36 PM »
With a 2008 Ford Ranger 2WD, one or two rows of firewood slightly higher than the sides and cinched down with ratchet straps seems to work well.  Then I also have it handy for my fireplace - like now (14 at 7 a.m. with a WC of ZERO).  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2024, 05:04:54 PM »
[quote author=dogmush link=topic=65760.msg1424087#msg1424087 date=1704991027
Yeah I can see that.  You're probably up into the 4Runner/Explorer/Pathfinder sized SUVs, which while technically called "Mid-Sized" are getting big and pricey. They aren't quite trucks, but the new Ford Maverick w/ Tow package pulls 4k and a Ridgeline pulls 5k.
[/quote]

Ideally, I want an older low miles Jeep Grand Cherokee, I'm not buying new. I prefer a RWD over a FWD when not engaged in 4x4. I also don't want AWD either. Also, something I can easily lift 3-4" too.

Uranus is a gas giant.