Author Topic: I don't own any weapons.  (Read 3384 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
I don't own any weapons.
« on: December 25, 2021, 02:31:40 PM »
I keep seeing posts, news articles, news videos and such all talking about "weapons." I don't own any weapons. I own a few firearms, a long gun or two, a pistol or revolver, but no weapons. Nothing I own has an inherently evil nature, or will to kill, and neither do I. Could one or more of my personal guns be used for self defense, or used during an insurrection or riot to protect my house or my neighbors? Of course. Would I go to a mall, restaurant or school and shoot people? No. So stop calling what I own "weapons."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: I don't own any weapons.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 02:36:00 PM »
I own five 5-gallon fuel containers.
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 02:45:28 PM »
Anything in your hand is a tool. The weapon is your mind.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 02:47:47 PM »
I own a bunch of things that can be USED as weapons. The kitchen and garage are full of them.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »
Disagree with your point. All my guns are weapons, I call them that, and I think it's appropriate to call them that. There's no benefit in sugar coating the fact that I own weapons, either practically or politically.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 03:22:20 PM »
Tools, weapons, I would say it depends on its use.

A mean, even a Taco Bell Burrito can be a weapon, weapon of ass destruction that is. :)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 04:12:48 PM »
Disagree with your point. All my guns are weapons, I call them that, and I think it's appropriate to call them that. There's no benefit in sugar coating the fact that I own weapons, either practically or politically.

I agree with this. My guns are weapons of self-defense and weapons for hunting. I don't see a reason to be afraid of the word. I WANT a weapon to defend myself.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2021, 06:52:51 PM »
I always call my EDC a "Personal Defense Sidearm" iif I have to discuss it.  (E.g., after a neighbor spotted targets in the back of my station wagon.)

Although the Lefties are far more adept at word control than we, I think making an issue out of not calling them weapons is counterrproductive in that it would sound like grasping at straws.

My Personal Defense Sidearm is a weapon just strapped to my side or in my pocket. So are the cheap dollar-store 10 inch kitchen knives I have squirreled away around the house JIC.  They're weapons too, and that's that.

No sense apologizing for them to anti-gunners.  You know how they seize on any little thing and blow it out of all proportion.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:25:53 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2021, 07:02:13 PM »
While any firearm could be used as a weapon, not all are. Also, just because it's a weapon, doesn't mean it can't be used for sporting purposes.

Which pretty much covers most of what I own. Hell, the one designed specifically for SpecOps is the biggest safe queen and only comes out for special play dates at the range. If I actually need a weapon, I promise I won't be grabbing that one!

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2021, 07:41:19 PM »
I know 17 ways to kill a man with a wooden spoon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2021, 07:59:45 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2021, 08:21:12 PM »
I own several  weapons.  Why would I pretend they aren't?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2021, 08:22:53 PM »
He killed three guys with a pencil, a f'ing pencil.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2021, 09:40:42 PM »
How about "death by teacup"?  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »
The best weapon right now is intel and networking - which is one of the reasons why social media providers have been purging.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2021, 11:25:04 PM »
Aside from guns meant especially for target shooting, aren't they all weapons? Whether for hunting, war, self-defense, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2021, 11:37:51 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2021, 06:24:54 AM »
The dictionary definition is something that is designed for, or is used to inflict damage.  Admittedly any gun can be used as such, as can a hammer, baseball bat, or minivan.  But like those other potential weapons, most firearms are never used for that purpose, or even used as a threat.  Assuming nobody is saying a that, as an example, a Browning Citori is designed to kill people, I agree with the OP that it's a misleading term.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2021, 10:07:14 AM »
I know 17 ways to kill a man with a wooden spoon.

... 18 if the spoon is used to feed him Taco Bell.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2021, 04:06:21 PM »
The dictionary definition is something that is designed for, or is used to inflict damage.  Admittedly any gun can be used as such, as can a hammer, baseball bat, or minivan.  But like those other potential weapons, most firearms are never used for that purpose, or even used as a threat.  Assuming nobody is saying a that, as an example, a Browning Citori is designed to kill people, I agree with the OP that it's a misleading term.

You moved the goalpost from "designed for" to "used for." You may never use your sidearm to damage anything other than paper, but it's still designed for the purpose of damaging bad guys.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2021, 04:58:05 PM »
As far as I am concerned the use of "weapon" designates a firearm designed expressly for the purpose of killing, or maiming another human being, as in, military grade firearms.  I own no military grade weapons, hence my objection to calling my guns: "weapons" since I have no desire or intention to use them for harm.  If you do own military grade and don't object to the term that's fine, but I do.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2021, 05:56:12 PM »
Yeah but practically all of our sporting weapons (see what I did there) started out as military or still are. Even the 30-30. So the distinction of military or non military or the supposed internal state of mind of the designer, is irrelevant.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »
As far as I am concerned the use of "weapon" designates a firearm designed expressly for the purpose of killing, or maiming another human being, as in, military grade firearms. 

OK, but English-speaking people haven't typically used or defined "weapon" that way. So you'll probably have to live with it. I think it would make more sense to just come to terms with the fact that most of our legally-owned guns are weapons.

"Military grade" is a term that's really misused by the news media, and you're misusing it, too. When applied to weapons, does it even have any real meaning? It seems to be a term anti-gun media started using, just to make some guns sound scary.

I own no military grade weapons, hence my objection to calling my guns: "weapons" since I have no desire or intention to use them for harm.  If you do own military grade and don't object to the term that's fine, but I do.

Are you suggesting that owning certain kinds of weapons means the owner desires or intends to hurt people? Yes, most of us here do desire and intend to harm anyone that would try to hurt us, but that applies to concealed carry guns just as much as the more militaristic guns.

griz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2021, 07:19:10 PM »
You moved the goalpost from "designed for" to "used for." You may never use your sidearm to damage anything other than paper, but it's still designed for the purpose of damaging bad guys.

I disagree in that many* guns are designed for hunting, not damaging bad guys.  Admittedly the very idea of firearms can be traced back to when somebody first had the idea that gunpowder could be used to poke holes in the enemy at longer ranges.  But even though the AR platform was designed to appeal to military buyers, you'll have to admit that a 12-pound heavy barrel rig with an 18 power scope is "designed" to hunt little tiny rodents.  I guess it comes down to the fact that there are two kinds of things in the world, those designed to damage bad guys, and improvised weapons.

* Probably most, since the rimfire 22 rifle is the most common gun out there.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2021, 07:54:29 PM »
Definition of "weapon", form Webster, 1828:

WEAPON, noun [G., Latin ]

1. Any instrument of offense; any thing used or designed to be used in destroying or annoying an enemy. The weapons of rude nations are clubs, stones and bows and arrows. Modern weapons of war are swords, muskets, pistols, cannon and the like.

2. An instrument for contest, or for combating enemies.

The weapons of our warfare are not carnal. 2 Corinthians 10:4.

3. An instrument of defense.

4. Weapons, in botany, arms; thorns, prickles, and stings, with which plants are furnished for defense; enumerated among the fulcres by Linne.

http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/weapon