Author Topic: Electric kettles  (Read 715 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Electric kettles
« on: December 27, 2021, 01:22:39 PM »
Got a Cuisinart electric kettle that has sprung a leak.  Guessing it’s 5 years old and been used on average probably 5 times a day.  So, pretty good performance.  I like the multiple temperature settings for various hot drinks.  Never tested the accuracy of the settings, but they’re probably within +- a few degrees.

New one of the same brand is $100 on Amazon.  There others with the same temperature setting options that are most likely Chinese made that are $40.  Anyone used the cheaper ones?  How do they hold up?  Any recommendations for less expensive than Cuisinart but still reasonably durable?

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Electric kettles
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 01:31:38 PM »
Where's the leak? Could it be soldered or brazed?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »
Where's the leak? Could it be soldered or brazed?

At the transition to the plastic base.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 01:39:09 PM »
I just get the $20 ones from Wal-Mart because my wife is good at knocking them off the counter with groceries and breaking them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 02:00:33 PM »
I have this one a few months and super happy because it's simple and just works and heats up fast. Not sure how long it will last.

Mueller Ultra Kettle: Model No. M99S 1500W Electric Kettle with SpeedBoil Tech, 1.8 Liter Cordless with LED Light, Borosilicate Glass, Auto Shut-Off a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TZ5YHJN/ref=cm_sw_r_apanp_UeaNEEr4Wrs5w
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »
I just get the $20 ones from Wal-Mart because my wife is good at knocking them off the counter with groceries and breaking them.

I have this one a few months and super happy because it's simple and just works and heats up fast. Not sure how long it will last.

Mueller Ultra Kettle: Model No. M99S 1500W Electric Kettle with SpeedBoil Tech, 1.8 Liter Cordless with LED Light, Borosilicate Glass, Auto Shut-Off a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TZ5YHJN/ref=cm_sw_r_apanp_UeaNEEr4Wrs5w

For just simply boiling water those would be great.  But we use the 165-200F settings all the dang time.  So something with those will be needed.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 02:28:42 PM »
We have this one right now.

This one is the likely Chinese one that is probably the best of the competition for the Cuisinart.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
I have a stainless steel Walmart electric kettle (made by GE) that I've had for years and it works great, but it doesn't have a hold feature.  It boils about a liter and a half of water in just a few minutes and shuts off.  A cheap plastic one I got from Aldi for my office does the same thing.  I've never seen one with a thermostat.  Maybe what you want is an electric percolator?  (check at the Goodwill store) Without the center tube, it should just heat the water to serving temperature and hold it there.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 04:11:44 PM »
I've seen a number of them over the years that have a digital temperature display (but no way to set them for a specific temp).

If you don't mind keeping an eye on the kettle while it heats up you can control your temp that way.

Friends have a Miroco with the digital display. I'm not 100% sure if you can set it at variable temps or not, but I'm thinking that you can. I don't see a similar model for sale right now, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 04:16:05 PM »
We have this one right now.

This one is the likely Chinese one that is probably the best of the competition for the Cuisinart.

OK, looks like you found the same one that I did on Amazon. I'd give it a go.

I rarely use an electric kettle at home; I mainly use it when I'm making hot toddys or when I need to quick start something.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 04:17:23 PM »
You could use an Inkbird controller with a nonadjustable kettle. The only tricky part is where to put the temperature sensor.
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 05:08:25 PM »
You could use an Inkbird controller with a nonadjustable kettle. The only tricky part is where to put the temperature sensor.

I would shy away from an Inkbird controller myself.  I bought one a couple of years ago to control my electric smoker.  It was a replacement for a Rex controller that bit the dust after several years of use.  It was a very accurate controller for that application.
The Inkbird controller is a PID unit, but could not be tuned to control any better than ± 10 degrees.  (I've got a lot of experience manually tuning PID controllers for heating crystal growth furnaces to 1300 °C with a ±0.2 °C response.)  The autotune function did not bring the control in any tighter.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Unisaw

• friend
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 06:40:39 PM »
For those who mention Chinese kettles . . . exactly WHERE is the Cuisinart made?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain