Author Topic: Visiting Gettysburg this week with SWMBO  (Read 646 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Visiting Gettysburg this week with SWMBO
« on: December 29, 2021, 10:05:32 AM »
Decided to run away for a couple of days with die Ehefrau and ended up in Gettysburg.  Gonna hit up the museum and battlefield today, dinner this eve at Dobbins House and walk around town tomorrow before heading back Friday.  Might even do some after dark battlefield riding to see if we can find some ghosts…

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Visiting Gettysburg this week with SWMBO
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 12:28:05 PM »
Wander down to Harpers ferry if you have the time. Not too far and a pretty drive. Been so long since I was a regular around those parts I have no idea what else is good there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 12:31:11 PM »
I took my kids there this past fall.  I definitely thought it was worth walking the battlefield instead of driving it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »
I took my kids there this past fall.  I definitely thought it was worth walking the battlefield instead of driving it.
I did that at Shiloh some years back.  That was pretty interesting.  I need to go see more battlefields at some point. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 05:44:17 PM »
Wander down to Harpers ferry if you have the time. Not too far and a pretty drive. Been so long since I was a regular around those parts I have no idea what else is good there.

I lived in Harpers Ferry in 2009-2010 and loved that area.  Did plenty of canoe trips down the Potomac from Sharpsburg to Harpers Ferry and tubing on the Shenandoah River.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 05:45:56 PM »

We have our dogs (3 chihuahua’s) with us this trip so not much walking the battlefield this time. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 07:57:55 PM »
That is too bad. I drove it years ago and got very little out of it.  Felt like driving through a museum looking at statues. Walking it gave me tons of perspective and allowed me to try to imagine things as they were on the day.

There is some parking on the loop. At least stop for a few minutes, stretch your legs and look at the high water mark and the Angle.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 07:59:02 PM »
I lived in Harpers Ferry in 2009-2010 and loved that area.  Did plenty of canoe trips down the Potomac from Sharpsburg to Harpers Ferry and tubing on the Shenandoah River.

Had no idea you were a local. My then girlfriend and future two-time and still undisputed champion ex wife went to Gettysburg College so between that and going to central PA racetracks the whole area still feels very familiar.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 09:56:26 PM »
Had no idea you were a local. My then girlfriend and future two-time and still undisputed champion ex wife went to Gettysburg College so between that and going to central PA racetracks the whole area still feels very familiar.

I worked up in Hagerstown from 2007-2010 and lived in Martinsburg WV then Harpers Ferry.  Daily drive took me up thru Shepherdstown, Sharpsburg (thru Antietam battlefield) up into Hagerstown. 

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 09:58:12 PM »
That is too bad. I drove it years ago and got very little out of it.  Felt like driving through a museum looking at statues. Walking it gave me tons of perspective and allowed me to try to imagine things as they were on the day.

There is some parking on the loop. At least stop for a few minutes, stretch your legs and look at the high water mark and the Angle.

We did stop and walk a little bit today.  I’d like to spend a week here with a quality camera and a backpack and walk more of it.  Perhaps next fall