Author Topic: Paging 230RN! Colorado fires.  (Read 819 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Paging 230RN! Colorado fires.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 03:02:42 AM »
Not that close to me right now.

Thanks for your concern.  At present it's close to where Son2 and Wife1 live.  They have prepared to evacuate, per the instructions Son2 picked up on his police scanner They have found friends who will take them in if necessary. 

Wife2 has got the dog and the cat ready to go, with pet necessities. Son1 has loaded his vehicle with the "important" firearms, some of which are mine in his custody, but I don't care that much if any have been left behind.

He is to keep me posted.  I first became aware of the situation late this afternoon.

The fire is south of him, but some west. Wind has sort of died down, we are all hoping for lots of snow real soon (hope, hope).

That wind makes it overwhelming, as you can see by the news.  As I mentioned before, Boulder used to be known as the Windy City on the CB.  I have not turned on the 2M rig to copy the mail on the Mount Thorodin repeater.

I learned the fire started at the mouth of Eldorado Canyon, where I used to prowl around before it became a Park.  There is a small community right at the mouth of the canyon where it opens to Highway 93, which is factually the most dangerous road in Colorado, and runs N-S parallel to the foothills LARGELY because of the wind.

About a mile+ south east of there is where the Rocky Flats Nuke trigger plant was, the north corner of which now has a wind power experimental station.  I bet they furled all the turbines a day or two ago.

As I understand it, as I mentioned elsewhere in talking about garage doors being blown open and the pressure destroying the new houses in Table Mesa, the jet stream happens to swing by Boulder and its near environs occasionally, which accounts for the three-digit winds.

230RN's smartassedness: Probably some dumb drooling City Slicker, who is used to flicking cigarette butts  onto concrete and asphalt flicked one into the dry growth --just a supposition, but not impossible. Fire is real dangerous hereabouts and I am reminded of the Hayman fire which started on a breezy day when a forest service employee burned a letter.

1:02 AM 31 Dec 2021, still no further word from Son2.

Terry

REFs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire
https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=65793.msg1334095#msg1334095

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:37:02 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 08:25:03 AM »
Hang in there. Positive thoughts and all.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »
Apparently my sister is within 5 miles of those fires.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 12:18:32 PM »
Apparently my sister is within 5 miles of those fires.

If she's downwind, I hope she's not still within 5 miles ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:06:33 PM »
12-31-2021 Louisville, Co Marshall Fire leaves total destruction- drone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK63zjsBl7Q
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 03:47:23 PM »
Wow!

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 03:51:21 PM »
If she's downwind, I hope she's not still within 5 miles ...

She says they’re under control so she’s fine.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 06:04:17 PM »
Son2, Wife1 both okay, but it was close.  Water, power, comm all OK.

That drone flyby was heartbreaking.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 12:44:19 AM »
   glad to hear family is good!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 11:35:19 PM »
One missing person found, two still missing.

Sheriff says e-workers were racing 100mph to get ahead of the flames to warn people.

Triangulation from several videos taken in the early part of the fire indicate it might have started in or near a shed in Marshall; snow is hampering the point of origin investigation on the ground.

Some folks are being let in to evac areas to check their properties.  Some places still have small fires going. (Lotsaluck finding anything of value with those wind-whipped flames.)  The same unexplained phenomenon as with tornados --some houses untouched while surrounding properties destroyed.
'
(Recommendation: if you see something happening and you have a camera, take any pix or videos you can even if it isn't going to be pro quality --and don't reckon on a profit if the authorities can glean solid forensic information on it.  A line of sight and time might be established just from trees and shadows and the like, even in a bouncy crappy vid.) 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:49:48 PM by 230RN »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 08:51:14 AM »
Glad your family is OK.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 10:56:46 AM »
Thanks, Grampster !  Odd thing is that I used to prowl around the Boulder environs and used to know every rock and pebble in the area... well that's an exaggeration, but I did live there for thirty plus years.  I used to do a lot of prairie dog thinning for the farmers by treating their ground with 223icide but the last time I was up in the Superior / Marshall area I hardly recognized anything any more. 

Same thing with the videos, I could not identify any landmarks.

But thanks to all including Grampster for your concern.

Terry

P.S.  Got a third-hand tip from someone on a third-hand site might be worth spreading around:

"The biggest tip is to spray paint your address and FEMA number on something and put it in front of the house."

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 11:35:45 AM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 01:46:23 PM »
Here's a pic forwarded to me by a former coworker from a mutual friend in Boulder.  That looks way too close for comfort to me, but I don't know the landmarks. (I had to resize the image to get it to upload, I hope there's still enough detail left)
"It's good, though..."