Author Topic: Irritating DVD Prices  (Read 789 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Irritating DVD Prices
« on: December 31, 2021, 09:41:30 AM »
I complained about one part of this here some years ago. I have always wanted to get the "Space Above and Beyond" DVDs. The first time I complained it was because of the outrageous price of ~$200, and looking this morning, it's still that high at $240.

My new complaint is that it appears that if you live most anywhere else in the world, you can get the series for $40. Poking around, this seems to be the case with quite a few series. I'm curious about why these kinds of DVD sets are so expensive here while inexpensive in Region 2 areas. I've never actually understood the whole "region" thing with DVDs/DVD players.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=space+above+and+beyond&crid=2TJRGIX04U5K2&sprefix=space+abo%2Caps%2C268&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_9
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Irritating DVD Prices
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 09:46:45 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UPSCALING-Built-Region-Worldwide/dp/B00ZRP6LVA/

or if you don't need/want Blu-Ray and 4k upscaling:

https://www.amazon.com/Megatek-Region-Free-Connection-Full-HD-Upscaling/dp/B07PNMTP1Y/

The region codes are a leftover from when the studio's had rolling release dates.  A movie might be on DVD in the US, and still in theaters in Europe, so they DRM'd the disks to stop people from shipping them between regions and cutting box office sales.  High speed internet capable of downloading movies in reasonable timeframes kinda made them obsolete.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 09:56:36 AM »
Thanks. I'd consider a new player except I already have a pretty new player. I still don't get the price discrepancy for these and other DVD sets in Region 1 vs Region 2, especially for older stuff.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 10:03:54 AM »
If you're good with 1080P that DVD player is $40.  Another $40 for your Region 2 DVDs and you have your Space set for under $100 clams.

As for the price?  I suspect Americans will just pay more for old DVDs, so they charge more.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 10:20:56 AM »
If you're good with 1080P that DVD player is $40.  Another $40 for your Region 2 DVDs and you have your Space set for under $100 clams.

As for the price?  I suspect Americans will just pay more for old DVDs, so they charge more.

That might not be bad. Most of these older series DVD sets* that I've been looking at that have that big price discrepancy probably don't benefit a lot from upscaling anyways. Plus with my aging eyes, I'm not sure I'm getting the full benefit of my 4K stuff.  :laugh:

*One of the reasons I'm into DVDs again is all the curating and censoring that is going on with stuff that I "own" from Amazon and elsewhere, or even just stuff like episodes or parts of episodes that are missing from streaming content on Netflix, etc.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 01:12:39 PM »
Get a new (not used) DVD or BluRay player, put in the region 2 DVD, and change the player to region 2.  (I think you can still do that.)  You only get to change it a couple of times, so it's now a dedicated region 2 player, but they are really cheap so that's okay.

If I'm wrong, someone please tell me so I don't waste $40 trying it myself someday. ;/
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »
Region-free 4k player. Fixes everything.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 07:12:59 PM »
Take a chance.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 07:40:32 PM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 08:25:57 PM »
Try ebay
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 10:44:19 PM »
Netflix has it in their DVD rental section.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 11:33:50 PM »
Sail the high seas.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 11:20:04 AM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain