Author Topic: Tire chains  (Read 450 times)

zahc

• friend
Tire chains
« on: December 31, 2021, 10:19:36 AM »

I have an old minivan I use for skiing. I already have studded snow tires on it. Is there any point in also getting chains? Sometimes I see people pulled off to put chains on, but I don't know if chains are something you use instead of winter tires or if sometimes you just need chains period.

Also there's tons of options out there, and some of them look gimmicky. What tire chains are good?

I know the truckers use the fully-chain type that have steel tightening cams on them. Those look pretty heavy duty. For passenger vehicles they have all kinds of other ones that have more clearance or have self-tightening rachets or whatever, and I'm not sure if they are good or just designed to get your money and not actually be used. But I do have concerns about having enough tire clearance on a minivan
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Tire chains
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 10:35:48 AM »
I don't have experience with studded snow tires, so I'm not help there.

For most cars, you'll need type S low clearance chains.

Our driveway here is atrocious in snow/ice.  Before I had a plow, I bought a couple sets of cable chains for our cars.  They were cheap laclede cable chains.  Pain in the ass to put on and take off, but very effective.  I haven't put many miles on them, but they seem to be wearing okay.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:45:38 AM »
I've always heard that using chains on studded tires can be a real problem as the studs can get scrubbed across the tread and rip it up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 10:50:20 AM »
Back when I lived in Taxachusetts, I put studded snow tires on all four wheels. Never had a problem in snow or on ice. I could go, steer, and stop. Since then, they banned studded snow tires because they were "tearing up the pavement." Truth was, the weather was tearing the roads up faster. The pot holes, cracked and heaved roads were the definitive proof. The death toll due to icy roads and common sense doesn't matter back there.

I moved to Oklahoma in '89 and haven't noticed a lack of common sense near the extent it is lacking back east.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 12:23:18 PM »
I'm old enough to remember when chains were the only option. IMHO they're a poor option -- studded tires are far more effecive on ice, and good snow treads are as good or better in snow.

And I believe it's correct that you are not supposed to run chains on studded tires.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 04:27:22 PM »
I think of tire chains for deep snow and mud.

I think of studs on snow tires for icy and snowy maintained roads.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 08:45:05 AM »
If  you are expecting bad nasty, it is very hard to beat studded tires. Chains are good for straight-line pulling.
Blog under construction