Author Topic: 2021 retirement portfolio performance  (Read 599 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
2021 retirement portfolio performance
« on: January 01, 2022, 10:22:57 AM »
At approximately 55% stocks 45% bonds/short term, my Vanguard portfolio returned 11.79% in 2021.  I am selling all my TRRBX and transferring it into my VBIAX for the new year, which will return me to a classic 60/40 portfolio.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: 2021 retirement portfolio performance
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 10:38:00 AM »
Mine is 10% REIT, 10% stable value fund, and 80% moderate-risk blended fund.  14% return in 2021.  The REIT fund did outstanding but a large part of that was because it got hammered the year before.

Also today is the first day of my retirement.  It kinda started 2 weeks ago, but that was really just vacation and holiday.  Today they paid me my unused vacation and my last paycheck, and revoked all my online accesses.  I still need to turn in my computers and keys.  I wiped the computers last night and my boss will stop by the house sometime next week to pick them up.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 11:39:58 AM »
Most of my part of our household portfolio is Vanguard. Equal parts VMVAX, VTMSX, and VWNEX. If I'm reading the dasboard correctly, net 2021 return is 27.3%. That's on top of the meteoric 2020 performance. Four other small mutual funds through my university retirement set-aside options which averaged just over 11%. They aren't big in dollar terms but a gain is a gain.

Combined net household worth increased by just over 14%, mostly due to the Vanguard performance and a big jump in home values.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 11:49:37 AM »
401k is 22.89%
IRA is 30.4%
Investment: 27.9%

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 12:47:28 AM »
I've got a 401k that I just increased my contribution to , only have had it one yr.
 that and social security might keep me in beans and rice - I know jack chitchat about these things
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 01:13:02 AM »
401k is 17.60%
IRA is 21.25%

Pretty much on autopilot targeted growth retirement funds.  Meh.  Shove money in, roll the dice, and hope I can retire someday.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 06:27:36 AM »
Not sure what my Vanguard 401K did in 2021. They've not updated things yet for end of year.

I don't think it's going to be all that impressive for me, though.

My AT&T 401k returned about 17.5% for 2021. Not terrible.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 08:17:32 AM »
I think we're going to see about 15% in our IRA for last year.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 09:53:39 AM »
In the past four-five years, our stock has gone from about 400 to over 700... What's the five year gain, discounting the inflicted recession of 2020?
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 10:29:57 AM »
None of mine have reported year-end yet, but estimating,

TSP=9.8%
Vanguard=11.2%

My Wellesley capitol gains payout at Vanguard this year was phenomenal.

Both these are retirement savings and conservatively weighted for me being fully in retirement, so I am happy with those results. When the market crashes, I will be, if not smiling, not out on a ledge either.  =D

Ameritrade has the worst performance tracking interface in the industry, so I have no idea what the year end will look like until they tell me. If I were to guess now, probably in the low 20s. It's my gambling account though, so big numbers in a single year don't mean much to me, other than the profits fund my "new guns" fund.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 10:45:47 AM »
Don't know what my 401(k) did since they're in the middle of changing administrators - we're in a "blackout" period right now and won't find out what's going on until - hopefully - the week of January 9. I think the YTD return will be above 10%, maybe even in the low teens, but I won't know for at least another week.  =(

I do know the new HRA administrator (Yeah, they changed that too) is NOT up to date - the company contribution for 2022 is in there, but the rollovers from last year (Medicare HRA and the previous non-Medicare HRA) haven't been accounted for yet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 10:59:19 PM »
Just consider that damn near everything has gone up since January 1, 2021...

Because, gee... When you pull out of that flat spin at 100' above ground level, there's pretty much nowhere to go but up...
Blog under construction