Author Topic: Paging the resident agronomist  (Read 1231 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Paging the resident agronomist
« on: January 02, 2022, 01:27:25 PM »
I would like to renew my inquiry as to American universities offering degrees in agronomy (or closely-related fields). My adopted daughter has apparently expended her options in South America and now wants to finish her degree at an American university. Being a millennial, she naturally thinks it will be a piece of cake, that any university will be overjoyed to admit her because she's such a great person, and that she's the smartest kid on the block so the studies will be no problem (even though her English is rather deficient).

I told her I'd look into it for her, but I don't even know where to begin. Ideally (from my perspective), since I don't think she'll be able to find a job in the U.S. to fund her studies or her living expenses, I think the ideal situation would be one in which she could enroll and study as a remote (on-line) student. I don't know if there are any American universities offering entirely remote degree programs.

TIA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
Re: Paging the resident agronomist
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 01:34:57 PM »
Texas A&M has numerous degrees offered at both undergraduate and graduate levels in agriculture, agronomy, and related fields.

https://aglifesciences.tamu.edu/programs-majors/

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 02:24:47 PM »
I found this list. I'll assume it's fairly complete -- it certainly provides plenty of institutions for my daughter to investigate.

https://www.universities.com/programs/agronomy-and-crop-science-degrees

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 02:29:23 PM »
Land Grant Universities typically have degree programs in Agronomy.

I have a BS in Forestry and Agronomy, I can't see how either could be online due to all the lab components. Agronomy isn't easy either, need a solid foundation in all the sciences. Amazing how much of plant growth is chemistry.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 02:51:02 PM »

I have a BS in Forestry and Agronomy, I can't see how either could be online due to all the lab components. Agronomy isn't easy either, need a solid foundation in all the sciences. Amazing how much of plant growth is chemistry.

That's certainly a consideration -- thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have thought about that.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 03:21:17 PM »
Your State Ag department has practicing agronomists, including individual County Agents, and so does the EPA in every Region.  If you're willing to buy someone a lunch, I'll bet you can talk to one FTF.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 03:53:59 PM »
Last I remember hearing is that she was going to sue you. Have things moderated since then?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 04:08:10 PM »
Your State Ag department has practicing agronomists, including individual County Agents, and so does the EPA in every Region.  If you're willing to buy someone a lunch, I'll bet you can talk to one FTF.

Did someone say county agent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jn32OCQ7ns
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 04:32:57 PM »
I know I'm probably  asking the wrong guy, but what's  the average salary an agronomy degree can pull in South America?  What's  the ROI for a US degree (which are not super affordable).

Or is she planning one emigrating and working in the States? 

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 04:34:51 PM »
Did someone say county agent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jn32OCQ7ns

I knew who it would be long before I clicked the link.  Thanks for the wayback walk.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 05:18:43 PM »
I know I'm probably  asking the wrong guy, but what's  the average salary an agronomy degree can pull in South America?  What's  the ROI for a US degree (which are not super affordable).

Brazil it's about $8/hr US. Not sure what the cost of living is there but I don't hear of any US agronomists wanting to find work outside of the US.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 06:44:30 PM »
Last I remember hearing is that she was going to sue you. Have things moderated since then?

Moderated? Lemme see ... what day is it, and does she think she can get more by playing nice or by threats?

This week she's playing nice. But I just told her there are no colleges or universities offering agronomy that are within commuting distance of home, so her plan to live here and go to school won't work.  [popcorn]

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 06:48:02 PM »

She has no plan. Agronomy is her third field of study. She has spent four years in three universities, doesn't have any degrees to show for it, and is at least two or three years away from a degree in agronomy -- if she can find a way to continue in university. It hasn't been stated, but I'm pretty sure the current plan is "Maybe I can move back home and sponge off Dad until he drops dead."

Yes, I am more than a bit cynical about this situation.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 07:32:11 PM »
She has no plan. Agronomy is her third field of study. She has spent four years in three universities, doesn't have any degrees to show for it, and is at least two or three years away from a degree in agronomy -- if she can find a way to continue in university. It hasn't been stated, but I'm pretty sure the current plan is "Maybe I can move back home and sponge off Dad until he drops dead."

Yes, I am more than a bit cynical about this situation.

Tell her due to a limited fixed income assaulted by rising costs of living you are entirely unable to fund any aspect of her (bullshit) studies and she will have to find work, scholarships, grants, and loans on her own and entirely her responsibility to fund her schooling.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 09:00:52 PM »
Tell her due to a limited fixed income assaulted by rising costs of living you are entirely unable to fund any aspect of her (bullshit) studies and she will have to find work, scholarships, grants, and loans on her own and entirely her responsibility to fund her schooling.

Have you been scanning my e-mail?

That's basically what I told her. I told her I would help her research what schools offer agronomy, and help her through the application process. To be honest, I don't think her English is good enough for her to get into an American college or university.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 09:03:09 PM »
Land Grant Universities typically have degree programs in Agronomy.

Charby, out of the schools listed in that link I posted above, can you suggest maybe six or ten that have the best programs, so I can contact them about admission (transfer) requirements?

TIA

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 09:06:22 PM »
Ohio State ATI has a great agronomy program.  That being said,  the last thing we need is more imports.

I don't understand why you haven't written that emotionally manipulative puta off.  Wasn't she going to sue you for not sending her money?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 09:49:15 PM »
Charby, out of the schools listed in that link I posted above, can you suggest maybe six or ten that have the best programs, so I can contact them about admission (transfer) requirements?

TIA

I don't know that answer.

I'm pretty biased towards Iowa State.

Uranus is a gas giant.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 10:08:49 PM »
Hawk, without knowing your location, it's going to be difficult to recommend any college.
That being said, St. Louis has two very good universities but both are expensive.  St. Louis University, just west of downtown and Washington University, just west of Forest Park.  One or both may have programs with Monsanto/Bayer, located a little south of SLU, and this might be a way for her to get an internship or even (God forbid!) a job to pay her expenses.

Good luck.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 10:26:59 PM »
Ohio State ATI has a great agronomy program.  That being said,  the last thing we need is more imports.

I don't understand why you haven't written that emotionally manipulative puta off.  Wasn't she going to sue you for not sending her money?

Yes, she was.

I haven't written her off because I loved my late wife, and this was my wife's favorite grandchild (as well as the one we adopted.)

To fill out the history: The original plan was to bring her here to live with us for two years -- the last two years of high school -- because the kid had a toxic relationship with the birth mother (my wife's daughter/my step-daughter). But ... the only way we could bring her lere legally was to adopt her -- so we did. Once she was here, she did abysmally in our high school for one semester, then at the start of the next semester she claimed a nervous breakdown, said she had been bullied, and refused to go back.

So we scrambled, and I got her admitted to a very good parochial school. The assistant principal was a former Spanish teacher who was married to a Latino, and they assigned the kid to a Latino guidance counselor. She had all the support in the world ... and she lasted three days.

So we ended up sending her back to Sud America after all, where we put her in a parochial school and where she got good grades. She got into college, but just before college started my wife died unexpectedly. She did one year studying to become a lawyer, then (without consulting me) she decided she wanted to be a psychologist -- so she switched universities and changed her major.

Then she went on a binge of serial suicide attempts (all of which conveniently took place where there was someone to call an ambulance). She also started drinking and partying heavily, until she got herself kicked out of that university. She took a couple of years off (with more suicide attempts in the interim), then got herself into a third university and started to study agronomy -- which she says she loves, and wants to make it her career. But then she got herself VERY heavily involved in a radical student organization, her grades apparently suffered, and I don't know at this point if she just doesn't have the money to continue, or if she has failed out.

And then in late 2021 she announced that she thought it would be a good idea to move back to the U.S. (she has dual citizenship, by virtue of the adoption), live with me, and continue her studies here. She seems to think it will be easy for her (with very limited English) to find a job so she can "help" me while attending university.

She will turn 27 in two weeks. I do NOT need her physically in my life right now, so that's not going to happen. She has used up any money I had to help with her education -- all I can offer now is moral support, but that's not what she wants. She wants a meal ticket and a free ride.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2022, 10:39:19 PM »

Are you kidding?  Seems to me every woke establishment in the U.S. is trying to destroy American values with more imports... legal or illegal, competent in English or not.

Gr.

Snarl.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 08:07:43 PM »
Are you kidding?  Seems to me every woke establishment in the U.S. is trying to destroy American values with more imports... legal or illegal, competent in English or not.

Gr.

Snarl.

Terry

Read it again, you irritating old fart.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2022, 06:29:14 PM »
Update:

Never mind schools offering agronomy. New e-mail -- she doesn't care what she can study, basically she has been booted from her university down there so she just wants to get out of there and come here to mooch off dear old Dad. Which is pretty much what I expected.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2022, 09:36:19 PM »
Change your locks and contact info.