Author Topic: USB-C for dummies  (Read 672 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
USB-C for dummies
« on: January 10, 2022, 02:56:12 PM »
I just now exchanged my S7 for an S20, and I need a primer* on USB-C. My main question is about the faster charging w/ USB-C. Is it all in the cable, or is the charger itself different?

I'll take my answer off the air. Thanks.

*Didja know it's pronounced "primmer," rather than "primer," like the paint? Didja? Or maybe somebody just told me that as a joke, and I've been sounding like an idiot every time I say it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:09:11 PM by Perd Hapley »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
Re: USB-C for dummies
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:27:07 PM »
USB-C supports a lot of power.  Laptop USB-C chargers can go to like 100W.  Cellphones can usually only accept 15-20W.  So you will need a phone capable of fast charging (you have) a USB-C cable (you have) and a transformer capable of putting out enough power. 20ishW@5VDC so  [carry the two] 4 amps or so.  (Do you have?) 

The S20 should support wireless charging as well, so there's that option.

ETA:
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/45w-charger/

Samsung says the S20 ships with a 25W charger, so you should be able to just plug that in with the USB-C to USB-C cable that came in the box.

ETA Again:  I did know it was pronounced "primmer".  Picked that up somewhere in school, maybe from a Neil Stephenson book.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 04:14:53 PM »
I just now exchanged my S7 for an S20, and I need a primer* on USB-C. My main question is about the faster charging w/ USB-C. Is it all in the cable, or is the charger itself different?

Yes, and yes. Dogmush filled in the rest.

Most everything is transitioning to USB-C for the power handling capability, plus the connector being unidirectional and more physically robust. You'll really appreciate it if you do large file transfers to/from your phone.

Also, you can get a USB-C to HDMI dongle that will let you use your phone on any HDMI-compatible monitor. Comes in handy if you need something larger than your phone to display things.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 04:22:39 PM »
Hey, Jack, are you callin' me a dongle?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 04:27:32 PM »

Now that you mention it...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 05:50:56 PM »

*Didja know it's pronounced "primmer," rather than "primer," like the paint? Didja? Or maybe somebody just told me that as a joke, and I've been sounding like an idiot every time I say it.

I have been aware of it for a long time. I used to actually pronounce it properly. Then I got tired of all the aforementioned looks . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 05:55:04 PM »

I always assumed that like many words, "primmer" is English English (and /or old American English) and "primer" is American English. I think I've only heard it pronounced the former way by brits.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 06:28:54 PM »
I always assumed that like many words, "primmer" is English English (and /or old American English) and "primer" is American English. I think I've only heard it pronounced the former way by brits.

We always pronounced it "primmer" in my family. But I'm an oldster -- I grew up before "ain't" was in the dictionary.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 06:51:51 PM »
We always pronounced it "primmer" in my family. But I'm an oldster -- I grew up before "ain't" was in the dictionary.

That ain't hard for me to believe.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 07:26:46 PM »

Even women's swim teams have dongles now
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes