Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 135281 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1225 on: April 03, 2022, 01:02:30 PM »
I also think this what happens when you send in an under trained, under supplied, under motivated conscript army against a well armed highly motivated people fighting to defend their homes and families. They panic, run, and shoot anyone around them.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1226 on: April 03, 2022, 01:05:00 PM »
Good God
You may not want to click on that.

Денис Казанський
@den_kazansky
Bucha resident Antonina Pomazanko shows her daughter's body. She was shot by a russian soldier on the first day of the occupation. She went out to look at the convoy of vehicles and was killed.

Mother buried her in the yard
https://twitter.com/den_kazansky/status/1510658052936056832
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1227 on: April 03, 2022, 01:13:34 PM »
Did see some drone footage where what appeared to a man waling down the street with a Russian tank with it's barrel pointed right at him then boom.

Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S_5B97JKoI

He could have been a combatant who knows?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #1228 on: April 03, 2022, 03:00:43 PM »
I also think this what happens when you send in an under trained, under supplied, under motivated conscript army against a well armed highly motivated people fighting to defend their homes and families. They panic, run, and shoot anyone around them.
They found several hundred people who were tied up and murdered by a bullet to the back of the head. That is not the actions of a shitty army panicking, that is a planned action. It is a war crime and also genocidal.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1229 on: April 03, 2022, 03:08:41 PM »
They found several hundred people who were tied up and murdered by a bullet to the back of the head. That is not the actions of a shitty army panicking, that is a planned action. It is a war crime and also genocidal.

Why I said also
- Calvin and Hobbes

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #1230 on: April 03, 2022, 04:21:35 PM »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1231 on: April 03, 2022, 04:35:26 PM »
Sorry, am tired

More my fault
My wording was perhaps a bit vague in what I meant
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1232 on: April 04, 2022, 08:33:06 AM »
Anyone here read Russia? I would like to see for myself what the whole thing says

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1510916790414680064
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1233 on: April 04, 2022, 08:53:55 AM »
Anyone here read Russia? I would like to see for myself what the whole thing says

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1510916790414680064
Google’s translation:
13:35 4 a ria.ru- Private RIA Novosti active Nazis should be exemplarily and exponentially punished.  There must be a total lustration.  Any organizations that have associated themselves with the practice of Nazism have been liquidated and banned.  However, in addition to the top, a significant part of the masses, which are passive Nazis, accomplices of Nazism, are also guilty.  They supported and indulged Nazi power.  The just punishment of this part of the population is possible only as bearing the inevitable hardships of a just war against the Nazi system, waged as carefully and prudently as possible in relation to civilians.  Further denazification of this mass of the population consists in re-education, which is achieved by ideological repression (suppression) of Nazi attitudes and strict censorship: not only in the political sphere, but also necessarily in the sphere of culture and education.  It was through culture and education that a deep mass nazification of the population was prepared and carried out, secured by the promise of dividends from the victory of the Nazi regime over Russia, Nazi propaganda, internal violence and terror, as well as the eight-year war with the people of Donbass who rebelled against Ukrainian Nazism.  Newsline

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #1234 on: April 04, 2022, 09:10:53 AM »
I still rather struggle with understanding the whole "Nazi" thing. 
Clearly the east and west have very different ideas of what behaviors, ideologies, and practices define Nazism.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1235 on: April 04, 2022, 09:12:52 AM »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1237 on: April 04, 2022, 09:41:28 AM »
Hope it's not covid.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1238 on: April 04, 2022, 09:55:44 AM »
Here is another like it.

https://gunfreezone.net/a-chilling-reminder-why-we-own-guns/

Substite "racist" for "Nazi" and it sounds like something our Woke elites would say.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1239 on: April 04, 2022, 12:30:56 PM »
Reports they're finding even worse in Borodyanka
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1240 on: April 04, 2022, 12:50:08 PM »
While I'm perfectly willing to believe the Russians are torturing people and executing people. (I've seen them do it live) Let's also remember that manipulation is still happening on both sides.  Remain skeptical of everything posted online.  A body in a grave in Ukraine may be just that, Or it may not be a body, a grave, or in Ukraine, or any combination.

Side note:  Honestly, this is what a war looks like.  The US doesn't play by these rules, mostly because we are strong enough we don't have to, but when you have near-peer foes, fighting in cities and towns, this is what happens.  This or worse.  My quip a couple pages ago about not wanting to have to shoot "allies" because of war crimes is based on knowing folks that have had to do exactly that.  Or be complicit.  And that's a shitty decision to make.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1241 on: April 04, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »
While I'm perfectly willing to believe the Russians are torturing people and executing people. (I've seen them do it live) Let's also remember that manipulation is still happening on both sides.  Remain skeptical of everything posted online.  A body in a grave in Ukraine may be just that, Or it may not be a body, a grave, or in Ukraine, or any combination.

Words to heed right there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1242 on: April 04, 2022, 01:04:19 PM »
Given the history of the Russian army and the abuses they were proven to have committed in previous conflicts, I tend to give these reports the benefit of the doubt.  There is really no reason to believe the Russian army will behave any differently in this conflict.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1243 on: April 04, 2022, 03:36:44 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1244 on: April 04, 2022, 04:14:17 PM »
Substite "racist" for "Nazi" and it sounds like something our Woke elites would say.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. Ukrainian patriots are "Nazis" the same way 6 Jan protestors are insurrectionists, and parents at the school board meeting are terrorists.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1245 on: April 04, 2022, 04:17:36 PM »
Oligarch thinks Putin will move on the Baltics:

https://news.yahoo.com/exiled-russian-oligarch-says-next-005732013.html

Yeah lets trigger an article 5
First the Keystone Cops have to finish off Ukraine
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #1246 on: April 04, 2022, 04:23:52 PM »
Oligarch thinks Putin will move on the Baltics:

https://news.yahoo.com/exiled-russian-oligarch-says-next-005732013.html

I can't imagine Putin actively going after a NATO country.  First, article 5.  Secondly, and maybe this is my western-centric biases, but seeing the performance in Ukraine, they'd get absolutely smoked by conventional NATO forces.

I guess if he wants to go full nuclear brinkmanship, Putin might question if the USA would really engage in nuclear war over Estonia?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1247 on: April 04, 2022, 04:28:45 PM »
Putin's got a couple other nonNATO countries he can bomb the crap out of.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1248 on: April 04, 2022, 04:35:33 PM »
True, and I tend to agree.

It should not be completely discounted though that Russia (and especially the Kremlin) is a completely different, insular, culture.  Just like they believed their own hype, they may believe the stories about weak willed capitalist's they have told themselves.

It's an issue with China as well.  They see the West unable to control westerners well enough to do COVID lock-downs and frame it in their worldview, not understanding the gulf between worldviews.  I have no idea how realistic Putin's view of the warmongering going on in the west is, and if he's wrong, he may *expletive deleted*ck around to find out.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1249 on: April 04, 2022, 08:50:59 PM »
Perhaps a clue why the Russians are doing so poorly if this was actually said by Shamanov

USHANKA SHOW
4 hours ago
Russian general Shamanov debunked rumors about the Russian troops getting radiation poisoning in the forests near Chernobyl.
"Our grandparents fought the Germans in those woods during WW2 and no one got such poisoning"
https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkx-K0r0MtuRzpMNgqBJekkHboh64qGRnau

About that.......

Maybe this explains it

Vladimir Anatolyevich Shamanov (Russian: Владимир Анатольевич Шаманов, born 15 February 1957) is a retired Colonel General of the Russian Armed Forces, who was Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Airborne Troops (VDV) from May 2009[1] to October 2016 and a former Russian politician. After his retirement in October 2016, Shamanov became head of the State Duma Defense Committee.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Shamanov
- Calvin and Hobbes