Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 135186 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1675 on: August 27, 2022, 08:01:20 AM »
Every time we start ramping up the war machine I think to myself, "what new weapon system are they going to let become public this time?".

Looking at the Ukraine thing it does sort of put an exclamation point on there being no replacement for boots on the ground.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1676 on: August 27, 2022, 10:11:21 AM »
We were dropping vietnam era bombs in the persian puddle so yes that is possible. I should have bought raytheon stock.

Still pretty happy to see Russia getting its teeth kicked.
And in Vietnam we were dropping WWII era bombs we originally gave to England and bought back from the limeys for use in SE Asia - someone made money on the deal.

And like you, I enjoy reading about Russian casualties . . . even if (as I strongly suspect) the numbers are exaggerated.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1677 on: August 27, 2022, 10:17:47 AM »
The only casualties I will enjoy reading about are the ones that started this *expletive deleted*it show and the ones committing and/or ordering war crimes.
99.9% of the Russians currently on the casualty list would rather have been home in bed with their wife/GFs
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 01:10:17 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1678 on: August 27, 2022, 07:51:56 PM »
Maybe they should stop raping and murdering and go home to the wives then.  Any in Ukraine are fair game.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1679 on: August 27, 2022, 08:34:51 PM »
Maybe they should stop raping and murdering and go home to the wives then.  Any in Ukraine are fair game.

and the ones committing and/or ordering war crimes.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1680 on: August 28, 2022, 04:11:47 PM »
and the ones committing and/or ordering war crimes.
Yes!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1681 on: August 31, 2022, 09:00:30 PM »
HARMs reportedly being used on Ukrainian Mig-29s

US Missiles Used on Ukrainian MiGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqY9CDsOpvk
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1682 on: September 07, 2022, 07:04:49 PM »
$12 billion more going to Ukraine. I also saw that on Tuesday, Zelensky virtually rang the opening bell at the stock exchange to promote US business investment in Ukraine.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-accuses-biden-requesting-new-round-ukraine-aid-benefit-democrats-ahead-midterms
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1683 on: September 07, 2022, 08:33:55 PM »
Gazprom television commercial . . . likely to annoy the Europeans facing oil and gas shortages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2b_0gfV_4E

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1684 on: September 07, 2022, 09:10:13 PM »
According to a recent Zeihan video the Russians are buying drones from Iran and artillery shells from the Norks.  Neither bodes well for their war fighting capacity.  And if they are getting shells from North Korea that will be fascinating intel on their state of military readiness.  Given they haven’t used meaningful amounts of artillery shells since 1953.

https://youtu.be/f9mNzi2JFkI

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1685 on: September 12, 2022, 07:18:52 PM »
Looks like the Russians are getting a beating…..or this is a good propaganda video by Ukraine.  Seems like it’s relatively new based on the areas they are showing.  Lots of armor left behind as well.

On a side note, at 18:48 (I believe) one Ukraine soldier almost became a casualty.  It’s a sound you never forget the first time it happens to you.

https://fb.watch/fvtQ-UDVel/

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #1686 on: September 13, 2022, 04:10:02 PM »
There is an enormous amount of propaganda and disinformation surrounding this war. It's hard to tell exactly what is and what is not.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1687 on: September 13, 2022, 04:56:25 PM »
There is an enormous amount of propaganda and disinformation surrounding this war. It's hard to tell exactly what is and what is not.
Chances are if we are hearing something, it is one side or the others disinformation.

Russia and the west exhausting themselves in a conflict that keeps grinding on helps China.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1688 on: September 13, 2022, 08:16:40 PM »
Chances are if we are hearing something, it is one side or the others disinformation.

Russia and the west exhausting themselves in a conflict that keeps grinding on helps China.
As far as the US, I keep hearing about us shipping weapons to Ukraine, I haven't heard a lot of about the US ordering replacements to restock.  I saw a comment from someone who should know (Mrgunsngear I think) that said military active duty they know had heavy weapons taken away from their unit to ship to the Ukraine. 

I am also really curious how much the current military suppliers are using US made parts and raw materials. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1689 on: September 13, 2022, 09:14:53 PM »
As far as the US, I keep hearing about us shipping weapons to Ukraine, I haven't heard a lot of about the US ordering replacements to restock.  I saw a comment from someone who should know (Mrgunsngear I think) that said military active duty they know had heavy weapons taken away from their unit to ship to the Ukraine. 

I am also really curious how much the current military suppliers are using US made parts and raw materials.

This scares the sh*t out of me.  I’m in Air Force acquisitions so we really haven’t been affected but I’m wondering what the Army’s doing to replenish.  My assumption, this administration isn’t worried about it…

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1690 on: September 14, 2022, 05:00:51 AM »
We're buying more, but it isn't instantaneous. I know of some Cali Marines units that have had their M777 howitzers shipped to Ukraine, and I have seen credible reports that some USSOC units got their Carl Gustaf recoilless rifles taken for Ukraine. No idea where the Ammo and HIMARs came from,  we should still have the Prepo Stocks available if needed,

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #1691 on: September 14, 2022, 05:50:34 AM »
To be honest, Ukraine's army IS America's (and associated client states') auxiliary-proxy army. So concerns about taking equipment from non-deployed units and sending them to the front line is unfounded. Different flags on shoulders doesn't mean much to global central planners. War is sheer lies and dishonesty, no one dares admit the obvious, that the cold war just went hot, and yeah that means WW3 if you haven't been paying attention... well it's not even war, it's a "special military operation" see?, that's the russian translation of "kinetic military action" in the parlance of the bush-flavored neocon... nothing to see here, move along =D
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1692 on: September 14, 2022, 06:18:20 AM »
I'm not saying you are neccessary wrong, but by that standard the Cold War went hot in 1965.

Going by historical outcomes the "send weapons and advisors" is the better side of the proxy war to be on.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1694 on: September 14, 2022, 08:11:22 AM »
This scares the sh*t out of me.  I’m in Air Force acquisitions so we really haven’t been affected but I’m wondering what the Army’s doing to replenish.  My assumption, this administration isn’t worried about it…
With the rumbles coming out of China, ammo stocks are a concern. I've been reading reports for years that the Navy doesn't really have enough ammo available for replenishment during a real shooting war with a major opponent - word is, when ships are leaving port for deployment, they have to offload ammo from ships just entering port in order to have enough to fill the magazines of ships just going out. And sometimes, the magazines aren't even topped off.

And this is without Navy weapons being sent to Ukraine. The army & marines don't talk much about ordnance supplies . . . maybe for good reason.

Back to the Navy - the Zumwalt class destroyers never did have a full load available for their main guns - nearly a million bucks per shot was too expensive. The guns - essentially dead weight - are scheduled to be replaced with a new missile system in the next few years.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1696 on: September 15, 2022, 11:18:51 PM »
Army plans to ‘nearly triple’ production of artillery shells after US gives nearly 1 million to Ukraine
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-ramp-up-production-artillery-shells-rockets/?utm_term=Task%26Purpose_Today_09.15.22&utm_campaign=Task%20%26%20Purpose_TPToday_Actives_Dynamic&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

“We are seeking over a couple of years to nearly triple our production of 155 [mm shells],” Bush said on Wednesday. Congress has been supportive; we have funding; we are executing and making that happen. We are also, through support from Congress, working to dramatically increase our production rate for GLMRS missiles – Guided MLRS [Multiple Launch Rocket System], HIMARS [High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems] launchers – in most cases doubling or more than doubling current production rates.”
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1697 on: September 16, 2022, 07:51:43 AM »
Related, Germany has seized three Russian gas plants. I can't help but think the "energy wars" outside of the physical conflict are going to get ugly. Even seizing those plants, I'm not sure where the EU is going to get enough actual gas to process through them to handle the Euro population.

Despite my heritage, it's kinda nazi for Germany to seize the gas plants after their own "alternative energy" policies got them in their energy deficit mess. Very Venezuela of them.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/germany-seizes-control-russian-owned-oil-refineries-ahead-looming-eu-deadline
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1698 on: September 16, 2022, 03:03:34 PM »
The western empire is globalist fascism.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1699 on: September 16, 2022, 05:38:01 PM »
Holy Turnarounds, Batman!!

Putin says he's going to stop the Ukraine invasion ASAP.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/putin-tells-modi-hell-stop-194411249.html

I knew India and China were pretty cozy with Putin but didn't think they had that much sway. Maybe getting three big oil refineries in Germany had something to do with it. I still think it's an internal thing and India is just an excuse to to "Save Face". Of course, that's predicated on him not just straight up lying to Prime Minister Modi's face. Still the very real possibility of Russian mobster types who wield more actual power and have told him they've had enough. Maybe even his top military brass is starting to revolt, too.

There's also the possibility that he's finally realized his military is getting their feces reinserted and he better call this thing off before Ukraine takes back ALL of it, including Crimea.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB