Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133334 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1850 on: October 07, 2022, 09:56:19 PM »
"Duck and cover"

Get an old school desk and get under it. You'll be fine.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1851 on: October 07, 2022, 11:08:52 PM »
Get an old school desk and get under it. You'll be fine.

I grew up in those times. Even then I wondered how hiding under my desk at school was going to make any difference if the evil Russians dropped a bomb that could wipe out most of my state.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1852 on: October 07, 2022, 11:17:44 PM »
I grew up in those times. Even then I wondered how hiding under my desk at school was going to make any difference if the evil Russians dropped a bomb that could wipe out most of my state.

It put you in a good position to kiss your ass goodbye
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1853 on: October 08, 2022, 11:46:36 AM »
More booms

A truck exploded in the middle of the bridge connecting Crimea and Russia Saturday, killing three people, Russian officials confirmed.

The explosion ignited seven fuel tanks of a train also traveling on the Kerch bridge. Two of the victims, a man and a woman, have been pulled from the water below, Russia said.
Explosion rocks Kerch Bridge connecting Russia and Crimea, 3 dead: officials
https://www.foxnews.com/world/kerch-bridge-connecting-crimea-russia-fire-after-possible-fuel-tank-explosion-ukraine-media

Who was responsible for the Crimea bridge explosion?
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-63183783?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=63414492194f716822a37df2%26Who%20was%20responsible%20for%20the%20Crimea%20bridge%20explosion%3F%262022-10-08T09%3A52%3A45.632Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:90c1d479-8fbf-4ab3-b5ee-fae04dff4fea&pinned_post_asset_id=63414492194f716822a37df2&pinned_post_type=share

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1854 on: October 08, 2022, 01:20:18 PM »
Who was responsible for the Crimea bridge explosion?

Obviously this is the doing of Trump and the NRA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1855 on: October 10, 2022, 11:41:12 AM »
Orange mushroom cloud bad

He in the room with you right now?! David Frum twists himself into DERP-pretzel in thread blaming TRUMP for nuclear threat
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/10/10/he-in-the-room-with-you-right-now-david-frum-twists-himself-into-derp-pretzel-in-thread-blaming-trump-for-nuclear-threat/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1856 on: October 10, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »
Most nukes will only vaporize a relatively small area.  Hiding under the desk will help if the school isn't too close.  Less likely to see the flash or be hit by glass or debris if the pressure wave hits and the entire school is not leveled. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1857 on: October 10, 2022, 01:35:39 PM »
Most people have an entirely unrealistic idea of what a nuke does.  Flying glass and debris, thermal radiation from the flash, and bits of building falling on you are much more likely to injure someone than straight vaporization.  Duck and cover is a pretty good strategy.

Back in Basic Training we were taught variations on duck and cover, because it was realized that if you saw the flash and had time to register it, then you weren't going to be vaporized, and you had a bit of time to avoid the pressure wave and debris, so you should find some cover.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1858 on: October 10, 2022, 02:00:23 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-63193124

Seems that Vlad is having a tantrum over his precious bridge.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1859 on: October 10, 2022, 05:28:31 PM »
Most people have an entirely unrealistic idea of what a nuke does.  Flying glass and debris, thermal radiation from the flash, and bits of building falling on you are much more likely to injure someone than straight vaporization.  Duck and cover is a pretty good strategy.

Back in Basic Training we were taught variations on duck and cover, because it was realized that if you saw the flash and had time to register it, then you weren't going to be vaporized, and you had a bit of time to avoid the pressure wave and debris, so you should find some cover.

There were shadows “burned” into concrete at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  I read that some soldiers that were watching the B-29’s with binoculars (or the sky in the direction of blast) had their eyes melted by the intensity of the light.

But yeah, unless you’re that close chances are you’ll be affected by secondary effects (flying debris) much more than by the heat and light of the blast.  If even a Tsar Bomba size nuke hits Seattle I’ll be affected more by supply chain disruption and power grid failure than even radioactive fallout, let alone direct blast effects.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1860 on: October 10, 2022, 05:55:54 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-63193124

Seems that Vlad is having a tantrum over his precious bridge.

The poor baby is upset the kid he's been pounding on hit back.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1861 on: October 10, 2022, 08:34:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/BlE1BdOAfVc

You can stand under a nuke (a high, small one) with no shielding and be fine. I wouldn't necessarily volunteer to do so, but if you are a couple miles out, and there's terrain of any kind, duck and cover becomes a pretty viable plan.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 05:30:03 AM by dogmush »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1862 on: October 11, 2022, 12:28:09 AM »
I have always believed that I could survive a nuclear war if I wasn't a direct target, just never thought I would get the chance. I have a target ten miles and one mountain away from me but due to the nature of the target it would probably be a subsurface burst. Navy isn't there anymore but the NSA is and russians don't update lists probably. I always worry more about the people. I would be where the eastern seaboard would flee to. Beyond that it is luck of the draw with targets and upper atmosphere winds as to fallout patterns and can you ever eat from the soil again.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1863 on: October 11, 2022, 07:50:23 AM »
Notice a few e-mails about emergency rations and whatnot
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1864 on: October 11, 2022, 09:44:49 AM »
I have always believed that I could survive a nuclear war if I wasn't a direct target, just never thought I would get the chance. I have a target ten miles and one mountain away from me but due to the nature of the target it would probably be a subsurface burst. Navy isn't there anymore but the NSA is and russians don't update lists probably. I always worry more about the people. I would be where the eastern seaboard would flee to. Beyond that it is luck of the draw with targets and upper atmosphere winds as to fallout patterns and can you ever eat from the soil again.
I guess there ought to be links talking about the 1/2 life of the fall out radioactives.  I don't think it is forever, but the time might depend on the type of bomb.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still there as cities thought those weren't large bombs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1865 on: October 11, 2022, 10:01:22 AM »

Duck and cover does not work if you are too close to the blast obviously.  But for those farther away from the center of the blast, many of the injuries can be caused by flying debris.  Duck and cover is helpful for these people.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1866 on: October 11, 2022, 10:12:16 AM »
I’m about 25 miles NE of a secondary target (unverified) so I’m assuming we may have a few minutes more to try and react….

Looks like Putin didn’t take too kindly for the bridge damage and is chucking rockets and bomb at the general population in Ukraine the last day or two.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1867 on: October 11, 2022, 10:45:38 AM »
I guess there ought to be links talking about the 1/2 life of the fall out radioactives.  I don't think it is forever, but the time might depend on the type of bomb.  Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still there as cities thought those weren't large bombs.

It depends more on the efficiency of the warhead than the size.  More of the core fully fissioned, means more energy released and actually less leftover radionucleotides.  Less core consumed->more fallout particles.  Airburst vs. groundburst vs. underground makes a difference as well, as there's a sweet spot to suck up, irradiate, and spread the most dust and stuff (if you want to maximize fallout) and that sweet spot isn't always the same as where you want the bomb vs. the intended target.

IIRC the longest lasting radionucleotides from P-239 bombs are about 30 years half life.  Strontium-(some number) is what stick in my head as the most dangerous.  The oft-medicated radioactive Iodine has a half-life of 8 days.  In general the fallout from a fission bomb decays pretty rapidly and is human safe in 1-6 months. (I've actually stood at ground zero of Nagasaki.  It's a somber memorial.)

If there's cobalt* in the warhead or it's a two stage fission/fusion bomb**, the calculus changes quite a bit.

*Cobalt-60 has my favorite warning sign ever.

**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_activation

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1868 on: October 11, 2022, 11:21:57 AM »
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1869 on: October 11, 2022, 12:13:30 PM »
Apropos of nothing at all, does anyone know if those cheap Chinese Geiger counters are worth a *expletive deleted*it?

something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394196386371

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1870 on: October 11, 2022, 12:54:23 PM »
Apropos of nothing at all, does anyone know if those cheap Chinese Geiger counters are worth a *expletive deleted*it?

something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394196386371

Sounds like it's time to repost this:

http://www.ki4u.com/free_book/s73p938.htm

=)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1871 on: October 11, 2022, 01:07:35 PM »
3.6 Roentgen, not great, not terrible
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1872 on: October 11, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »
3.6 Roentgen, not great, not terrible
But the meter pegs at 3.6 …

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
                         - Barack Obama

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #1874 on: October 11, 2022, 03:27:12 PM »
Is Putin crazy enough to use a "tactical" nuke on the Ukraine?  I believe he is.  Is he crazy enough to start WW3 ?  I'm not sure but I don't believe so.  What I think may be more likely is that, if he DOES nuke the Ukraine, the ChiComs may seize that opportunity to make their move on Taiwan.  They may not use nukes but with their assets compared to Taiwan's, it won't be much of a fight.  If the U.S. were to get involved in that fight, the ChiComs may lob a couple of tacticals our way to "warn us off".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 11:12:19 PM by JTHunter »
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”