Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 135035 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #2000 on: December 18, 2022, 02:25:19 PM »
It was Japanese, and it was a photograph from Nanking.
Do a search for images from the Rape of Nanking, and you'll find them on line. Many are IMHO too ghastly to post here.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2001 on: December 18, 2022, 04:53:36 PM »
I have done a little reading on German atrocities against Belgian citizens during WW1.  They were exaggerated, but they did occur.  Probably several thousand Belgian civilians total were murdered by German soldiers.  I recall documented incident of Germans using civilians as human shields.

The Bryce Report makes interesting reading:

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/brycere.asp

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2002 on: December 18, 2022, 05:00:41 PM »
Propaganda? Probably, but the point is missed. Once Ukrainians are on russian soil we can worry real hard about the source. Don't like getting lied about, go back to your own country.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2003 on: December 19, 2022, 10:44:14 PM »
This popped up on foxnews

Putin lands in Belarus to pressure ally to join the offensive in Ukraine war
https://www.foxnews.com/world/putin-lands-belarus-pressure-ally-join-offensive-ukraine-war

This photo caught my eye
Putin has noticeably aged compared to just a few months ago and does not look well IMHO
Yes I know it's just one photo but still

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2004 on: December 19, 2022, 10:55:00 PM »
He needs some polonium tea.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2005 on: December 19, 2022, 11:38:21 PM »
He is 70 years old too
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2006 on: December 22, 2022, 11:38:23 AM »
Please report to the Thought Police Office

For any Members of Congress who refused to clap for Zelenskyy, we need to know from them exactly why.

— Michael Beschloss (@BeschlossDC) December 22, 2022

NBC News’ Michael Beschloss demands explanation from members of Congress who didn’t clap for Zelenskyy
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/12/22/nbc-news-michael-beschloss-demands-explanation-from-members-of-congress-who-didnt-clap-for-zelenskyy/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2007 on: December 22, 2022, 11:50:39 AM »

NBC News’ Michael Beschloss demands explanation from members of Congress who didn’t clap for Zelenskyy
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/12/22/nbc-news-michael-beschloss-demands-explanation-from-members-of-congress-who-didnt-clap-for-zelenskyy/

Solzhenitsyn tells a story in the ‘Gulag Archipelago’ of a 10+ minute ovation for Stalin at a local party convention — the first man to stop clapping was arrested
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2008 on: December 22, 2022, 01:07:54 PM »

I remember seeing a tape of Obama visiting troops somewhere overseas. The vast majority of the troops there sat respectfully silent while Obama was talking - no jeers or boos for the CIC of course, but very little applause. (Except for the general officers sitting on the stage behind Obama, one of which stood and clapped and seemed to be trying to get the rest of the troops to do the same. They didn't.)

A few - a very few - isolated claps came from the audience . . . which was worse than total silence would have been. (But at least BHO didn't ask for applause the way Jeb Bush did.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2009 on: December 22, 2022, 02:49:39 PM »
Solzhenitsyn tells a story in the ‘Gulag Archipelago’ of a 10+ minute ovation for Stalin at a local party convention — the first man to stop clapping was arrested

If memory serves, they eventually installed a buzzer to signal the attendees to stop clapping.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2010 on: December 22, 2022, 07:20:02 PM »
    Our tree lights are out today to express our solidarity with the courageous people of Ukraine whose light inspires the world even though their electricity is out.

Congress should listen to Zelensky tonight with both ears. pic.twitter.com/PJq2qWnSFe

— Governor Jay Inslee (@GovInslee) December 21, 2022

My governor thinks it sends a message of solidarity to the people of Ukraine if he turns off the lights on his butt ugly tree for a few hours.

That’s so cute. https://t.co/j2XCSMH0ST

— FunkyPox (@corrcomm) December 22, 2022
    Mine are off because my utility bill last month was too high

— Tyler Quandt (@quandtis) December 22, 2022
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/12/22/gov-jay-inslee-unplugged-his-christmas-tree-in-solidarity-with-the-ukrainian-people/
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2011 on: December 22, 2022, 07:29:55 PM »
Inslee is such a *expletive deleted*ing putz.  I hate that he’s my governor.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2012 on: December 22, 2022, 08:09:17 PM »
Oh good F'ing grief

Not everyone is inspired by this recolored American flag posted by Ukrainian official
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/12/22/not-everyone-is-inspired-by-this-recolored-american-flag-posted-by-ukrainian-official/
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2013 on: December 22, 2022, 10:07:16 PM »
Oh good F'ing grief

Not everyone is inspired by this recolored American flag posted by Ukrainian official
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/12/22/not-everyone-is-inspired-by-this-recolored-american-flag-posted-by-ukrainian-official/
What a grotesque defacing of Old Glory.    :mad:

That bearded guy in the second row looks like that Brit prince that married the American actress . . . what's his name . . . Mr. Markel?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2014 on: December 23, 2022, 05:28:29 AM »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2015 on: January 26, 2023, 07:02:16 PM »
So what do you guy's think about Brandon sending M1A2 Abrams tanks to Ukraine?
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2016 on: January 26, 2023, 07:11:27 PM »
I'm beginningto think Brandon's handlers might actualy want a shooting war with Russia.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2017 on: January 26, 2023, 08:38:40 PM »

Until they get trained and get maintenance/repair logistics up and running they’ll be expensive toys to show off.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2018 on: January 26, 2023, 09:01:49 PM »

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2019 on: January 26, 2023, 10:21:29 PM »
It's being reported that it will take as much as 18 months to set up the logistical systems, get the training completed, and the tanks modified for export before Ukraine sees any of that armor.  By that time the war could be over.  Or we could all be glowing in the dark.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2020 on: January 26, 2023, 11:01:46 PM »
I suspect it will take less time for them to receive the Leopard 2's that the Germans (and Polish?) are handing over.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2021 on: January 26, 2023, 11:08:43 PM »
It's being reported that it will take as much as 18 months to set up the logistical systems, get the training completed, and the tanks modified for export before Ukraine sees any of that armor.  By that time the war could be over.  Or we could all be glowing in the dark.

I suspect it will take less time for them to receive the Leopard 2's that the Germans (and Polish?) are handing over.

https://youtu.be/Rngd85k72Vw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2022 on: January 26, 2023, 11:13:45 PM »
Until they get trained and get maintenance/repair logistics up and running they’ll be expensive toys to show off.

Has our .mil gone fully metric yet, or should we buy stock in whoever makes Craftsman socket wrenches these days?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2023 on: January 27, 2023, 07:42:54 AM »
I'm pretty much for anything that will:

1. Contribute to bleeding Russia dry.

2. Contribute to Putin's global humiliation.

3. Contribute to a coup that will remove Putin from power and result in his "accidental" fall from a hotel window.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2024 on: January 27, 2023, 08:59:28 AM »
Hopefully they will demilitarize the M1’s before handing them over.  By that I mean some of the state of the art software for target acquisition and such. Know you can’t do much with the armor or feed/aiming capability but I’m sure we have some proprietary stuff we’d prefer Russia not capture, which I’m sure they’ll try to do.