Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 134978 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #2050 on: January 28, 2023, 01:46:04 PM »
Unfortunately, sometimes Russians drown their enemy in oceans of Russian blood.

Hopefully this will not be the case this time. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2051 on: January 28, 2023, 02:42:58 PM »
Will someone please put a bullet in Putin's head already

Terrified Russian troops flee when their armoured vehicles are destroyed by pinpoint Ukrainian fire as they leave behind wounded comrades who are forced to crawl to save their lives in shocking video
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11687053/Putins-troops-flee-Vuhledar-battlefield-leave-wounded-vehicles-destroyed.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2052 on: February 02, 2023, 12:23:47 PM »
I'm re-listening to Dan Carlin's series on WWI and it's interesting to hear him talking nine or ten years ago about how it is almost a Russian tradition to spend the first year of any war losing terribly and failing up one side and down the other logistically before finally throwing enough bodies at the problem.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2053 on: February 02, 2023, 10:13:32 PM »
Considering Russia was having to call up reluctant conscripts and recruiting prisoners, do they still have the bodies to throw?  Modern warfare can chew up a lot of bodies if they are not well trained. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2054 on: February 02, 2023, 10:26:53 PM »
Considering Russia was having to call up reluctant conscripts and recruiting prisoners, do they still have the bodies to throw?  Modern warfare can chew up a lot of bodies if they are not well trained.
Russia started out with under 200,000 in Ukraine. They mobilized another 300,000 last fall, and I’ve heard that even after mobilization ceased they continued calling people up. Each year they conscript a quarter million kids, half in the fall and half in the spring.

I don’t know how accurate it is, but the figure I’ve heard thrown around is half a million new troops available to be committed this spring.

That seems like a nightmare for their already strained logistical system, but it wouldn’t be the first army to be told that if they want to eat they have to take rations from dead enemies.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2055 on: February 02, 2023, 11:00:46 PM »
Maybe we will see how well that works.  I have also seen a lot of talk about poor training which won't help.  Of course, they could have regiments doing real training in secret for all I know. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2056 on: February 02, 2023, 11:50:02 PM »
Great crime fighting program, the former convicts that Wagner has are being used up in a terrible manner. They advance at all costs in small unit waves. One group secures a position that others advance to. Casualties are high. They do this because retreat or giving up while wounded is an execution.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2057 on: February 03, 2023, 10:53:33 AM »
I did hear someone on a stream comment that Russia is massing forces on the border in preparation for an offensive this Spring.  I guess we will find out.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:07:37 PM by MechAg94 »

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2058 on: February 03, 2023, 03:15:17 PM »
I did hear someone on a stream comment that Russia is massing forces on the border in preparation for an offensive this Spring.  I guess we will find out.

That might be a problem.
When the snow melts, that ground is going to be rather soft, right?  And what has been one of the biggest problems the Russian troops have had to face?  Tanks mired in the mud, unable to move.  Trucks with ammo and fuel - same problem.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2059 on: February 03, 2023, 04:01:22 PM »
That might be a problem.
When the snow melts, that ground is going to be rather soft, right?  And what has been one of the biggest problems the Russian troops have had to face?  Tanks mired in the mud, unable to move.  Trucks with ammo and fuel - same problem.

May, roughly is the end of the mud season there.  That’s when most observers expect things to get spicy again.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2060 on: February 03, 2023, 05:50:09 PM »
From what I have read, Ukraine's intelligence folks expects they will be attacked on or around the anniversary of the invasion last year.  That puts it sometime this month.  There have even been some rumblings out of Russian saying the same thing.
As always, YMMV.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2062 on: February 05, 2023, 09:01:53 AM »
Almost looks like the tank commander did it on purpose

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2063 on: February 05, 2023, 12:28:38 PM »
Karma is a female dog

Pro-Putin mercenary who waved the 'skull of a dead Ukrainian' in front of crowd and called for the killing of civilians is shot in the head and 'in grave condition' following possible 'warning hit'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11715259/Pro-Putin-mercenary-waved-skull-dead-Ukrainian-shot-possible-warning-hit.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2064 on: February 05, 2023, 04:40:30 PM »
May he suffer a short, but exceedingly horrible, remaineder of his life.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2065 on: February 11, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
We must arrest Elon Musk for treason!!!!

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/02/11/target-toothbrush-guy-says-elon-musk-must-immediately-be-arrested-and-tried-for-treason/

The moron journalist's lack of understanding of what treason is aside, I thought this was one of the better comments, since progressives have become so bloodthirsty regarding this particular conflict:

You know what? The man owns a product. If he doesn't want his product involved in causing death to other human beings, then he has a right to limit it's use. That's perfectly logical and defensible.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2066 on: February 11, 2023, 05:31:33 PM »
"On a scale of 1 to a sack of wet towels, how *expletive deleted*ing dense are you?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2067 on: February 11, 2023, 05:52:23 PM »
"On a scale of 1 to a sack of wet towels, how *expletive deleted*ing dense are you?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We're talking about the "journalist" who had a hissy fit and tried to cancel Target when they wouldn't sell him a $100 toothbrush for $1, so that's probably a compliment.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2068 on: February 12, 2023, 08:49:23 AM »
BBC is reporting that the Russian death toll from the latest offensives are well beyond anything that's happened so far.

News flash just came across my phone saying that Russian military bloggers are going absolutely apeshit because Russian ground commanders are making the exact same offensive mistakes in this new offensive, and as a result, Russian troops are simply abandoning vehicles in quantity.

And, apparently, Russia is getting so desperate for tanks that they're refurbing... T-62s and sending them to Ukraine. That's going to end really well...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2069 on: February 12, 2023, 08:58:44 AM »

And, apparently, Russia is getting so desperate for tanks that they're refurbing... T-62s and sending them to Ukraine. That's going to end really well...

Send the T-62s out ahead of the newer stuff to soak up the missiles.
Sort of like the Soviets when they would send out convicts and malcontents soak up machine gun bullets and clear out a path in the minefields
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2070 on: February 12, 2023, 09:09:38 AM »
Send the T-62 out ahead of the newer stuff to soak up the missiles.
Sort of like when the Soviets when they would send out convicts and malcontents to clear out a path in the minefields

Dude, the newer stuff, the T-90s, have already soaked up a LOT of missiles.

If that had been their plan, they would have done it long before now. They expected the T-90 P3 to waltz through Ukrainian lines. Instead the Russians have lost an estimated half of the T-90s that they committed to the initial invasion.

Worse, reports from inside Russia say that, while they have about 600 T-90s in their arsenal, virtually all of the capable ones have been committed to the Ukraine invasion already... which means that the Russians may actually have only about 100 T-90s in their arsenal.

The rest of their T-90s, and a good number of their T-80s and T-72s, aren't serviceable because Russian corruption has siphoned off the money that was supposed to their maintenance, their "reactive armor" isn't really reactive anymore because local commanders have sold off much of it on the black market to line their own pockets, and they can't fix/replace/upgrade the electronics.

All of that is the reason why they're pulling the T-62s out of the barn... they HAVE to, and they're the only tanks that they can get up and running because they don't have sophisticated electronics or reactive defensive armor, the engines are dead simple, just a whole slew of "this is our only option, so let's go with it" reasons.

As for the T-14 Armata... there are supposedly 8 of those in existence, and apparently 4 of them can't move because they're not complete. The other four are so prone to malfunctions that the Russians don't dare send them to Ukraine.

And the Russians apparently can't build any more T-14s because of the international sanctions cutting off the electronics stream.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2071 on: February 12, 2023, 09:15:53 AM »
Being low on usable T-80s& 90s makes the tactic even more attractive to the Russians. If the 62s don't overwhelm the Us on their own roll what working 80s and 90s they have in the hope the 62s soaked up all U's anti-tank missiles.
Not saying it's going to work but such a tactic it would fit a pattern.
Putin has maybe just one more throw of the dice to end this on anything remotely in the ball park on his terms.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 09:28:40 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2072 on: February 12, 2023, 09:47:37 AM »
. . . The rest of their T-90s, and a good number of their T-80s and T-72s, aren't serviceable because Russian corruption has siphoned off the money that was supposed to their maintenance, their "reactive armor" isn't really reactive anymore because local commanders have sold off much of it on the black market to line their own pockets, and they can't fix/replace/upgrade the electronics . . .

. . . As for the T-14 Armata... there are supposedly 8 of those in existence, and apparently 4 of them can't move because they're not complete. The other four are so prone to malfunctions that the Russians don't dare send them to Ukraine . . . 
As I read this, for some reason I began thinking about the U.S. Navy's Littoral Combat Ships, relatively small surface warships that "couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag" which keep breaking down. (Although there, I think a lot of the corruption took place during the procurement process - politicians, Navy brass, and contractors - not by local commanders.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2073 on: February 12, 2023, 09:54:23 AM »
But here’s the rub.  Ukraine itself is of little strategic value.  The Bessarabian Gap and the Polish Gap are the real goals, Ukraine is just on the way to both.  Russia might take a breather after conquering Ukraine but it WILL go on to Romania, Poland and the Baltics afterwards. 

They could probably afford to throw away some T-62s (and their crews) taking Ukraine, but they can’t afford to be down to T-72s and T-80s if they’re going to fight NATO.  They need T-90s and T-14s for that.  Unless they just plan to nuke the *expletive deleted*ck out of NATO.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2074 on: February 12, 2023, 10:52:41 AM »
Was the Russian military this incompetent during the cold war?