Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 133269 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #2100 on: February 20, 2023, 06:57:33 PM »
At this point that 10% won't fit on just any jet.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2101 on: February 21, 2023, 07:58:54 AM »
And.....Action!

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/02/20/cnn-reporter-in-kyiv-ukraine-hadnt-heard-any-air-raid-sirens-for-5-days-until/

My guess is that this is so Biden could have his "Hillary moment" of being under fire so the MSM can get some "most heroic President in American history" stories.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2102 on: February 21, 2023, 08:44:07 AM »
And.....Action!

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/02/20/cnn-reporter-in-kyiv-ukraine-hadnt-heard-any-air-raid-sirens-for-5-days-until/

My guess is that this is so Biden could have his "Hillary moment" of being under fire so the MSM can get some "most heroic President in American history" stories.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2103 on: February 21, 2023, 09:06:50 AM »
I'll actually be open minded enough to consider Ukraine doing this without coordinating with Biden's people, because it's the kind of theater Zelensky likes to do for fund raising. Though I can't see the Secret Service being happy about being left out of any loops.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2104 on: February 21, 2023, 10:41:38 AM »
And.....Action!

Absolutely staged for a future campaign commercial.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2105 on: February 21, 2023, 11:05:04 AM »
I smell more BullS.....

Biden says he wanted to add a 'ski' to the end of his name because he grew up surrounded by Polish immigrants in meeting with President Duda in Warsaw
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11776101/Biden-jokes-Polish-president-wants-add-ski-name.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2106 on: February 21, 2023, 10:46:56 PM »
I smell more BullS.....

Biden says he wanted to add a 'ski' to the end of his name because he grew up surrounded by Polish immigrants in meeting with President Duda in Warsaw
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11776101/Biden-jokes-Polish-president-wants-add-ski-name.html

Channeling John F. Kennedy, no doubt.

„Ich bin ein Berliner" ["I am a jelly donut."]

[Waiting for Ben to tell me that's not a true story in 10 ... 9 ... 8 ... ]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2107 on: February 22, 2023, 09:11:24 AM »
Channeling John F. Kennedy, no doubt.

„Ich bin ein Berliner" ["I am a jelly donut."]

[Waiting for Ben to tell me that's not a true story in 10 ... 9 ... 8 ... ]
It's an amusing story, but I worked with a German woman in our lab for a while - she'd heard the "jelly donut" story and said as far as she knew, NOBODY in Germany EVER thought JFK was calling himself a jelly donut. Nor did my first manager, who was a Hitlerjugend as a boy and a Wehrmacht soldier when he was captured in 1945 by US forces at the ripe old age of 16.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2108 on: February 22, 2023, 10:09:19 AM »
It's an amusing story, but I worked with a German woman in our lab for a while - she'd heard the "jelly donut" story and said as far as she knew, NOBODY in Germany EVER thought JFK was calling himself a jelly donut. Nor did my first manager, who was a Hitlerjugend as a boy and a Wehrmacht soldier when he was captured in 1945 by US forces at the ripe old age of 16.

Yep, my friend John is first generation American. His parents both were born in Germany. They say they have NO idea why people think Kennedy was calling himself a pastry.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2109 on: February 22, 2023, 10:30:14 AM »

Yep, my friend John is first generation American. His parents both were born in Germany. They say they have NO idea why people think Kennedy was calling himself a pastry.

It's more non-native speakers who learned high kraut in school, where they learn to talk like Wilfried von Limbergerburgermeister IV.

In German regular people talk, everybody knows what you mean whether you say ein, einen, einer, or whatever. It's just like non-pedantic 'Mericans understand what you mean whether you say ain't, isn't, or is not; or accidently type "their" instead of "there".

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2110 on: February 22, 2023, 10:49:50 AM »
It's more non-native speakers who learned high kraut in school, where they learn to talk like Wilfried von Limbergerburgermeister IV.

In German regular people talk, everybody knows what you mean whether you say ein, einen, einer, or whatever. It's just like non-pedantic 'Mericans understand what you mean whether you say ain't, isn't, or is not; or accidently type "their" instead of "there".

But the line is indelibly drawn at an incorrect they’re.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2111 on: February 22, 2023, 12:11:15 PM »
But the line is indelibly drawn at an incorrect they’re.

I know how to use "they're", "their", and "there" and am annoyed by misuse.  But I can't tell you how many times my fingers seemingly on their own type the wrong one and I have to go back and change it -- and every once in a while one slips by.  The same with to, too, and two.  (my own misuse annoys me more than others' misuse)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2112 on: February 22, 2023, 12:19:16 PM »

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2113 on: February 22, 2023, 04:16:23 PM »
Yup....

ACTIVE WAR ZONE!!!!! AIR RAID SIRENS!!!!!! BRAVEST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY!!!!! SWAGGER ON THE STREETS OF KIEV!!!!

All CNN and MSNBC of course.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1628452045303996416

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2023/02/22/tom-elliotts-supercut-of-media-fawning-over-bidens-ukraine-stop-would-make-pravda-blush/

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2114 on: February 22, 2023, 04:23:23 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2115 on: February 24, 2023, 09:15:20 AM »
One year
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2117 on: February 24, 2023, 01:58:17 PM »
So, Biden promised them another 50 billion this week, Yellen promised 5 billion and the pentagon promised 2 billion. I wonder if I should ask them for a few billion to defend my place from the Amish.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2118 on: February 24, 2023, 02:00:49 PM »
So, Biden promised them another 50 billion this week, Yellen promised 5 billion and the pentagon promised 2 billion. I wonder if I should ask them for a few billion to defend my place from the Amish.
Try the Amishanovich.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2119 on: February 24, 2023, 02:16:55 PM »
"I wonder if I should ask them for a few billion to defend my place from the Amish. "

clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop

BANG! BANGBANGBANGBANGBANG! BANG!

clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop

Just another Amish drive by shooting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2122 on: February 26, 2023, 01:04:21 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/26/world/europe/ukraine-russia-war.html

An interesting editorial in the NYT.  The key takeaways are that the EU, but especially Germany, need to re-arm and recognize that military force is at times a necessary option, and the the EU is going to be dependent on USA arms and money for a long time to come.

I thought funny this comment from a former Finnish prime minister:

If compulsory military service was maintained throughout the postwar years, as most European countries abandoned conscript armies, it was not, as former Prime Minister Alexander Stubb said, “because we were afraid of Sweden.”

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2123 on: February 26, 2023, 08:00:32 PM »
"An interesting editorial in the NYT.  The key takeaways are that the EU, but especially Germany, need to re-arm and recognize that military force is at times a necessary option, and the the EU is going to be dependent on USA arms and money for a long time to come. "

I have a small amount of respect for Barak Obama for one reason, and one reason only...

When he was awarded his Nobel Peace Participation Prize for doing absolute jack *expletive deleted*it and gave his acceptance speech you could literally see the almost orgasmic induced pleasure on the faces of the guests as he started his speech. They were SURE that he was going to deliver a crushing repudiation of American warmongering and that the US would finally get in line with all of the enlightened Euroweenies. I suspect that a lot of them were even expecting a sniveling crying apology for the United States being the world's worst country...

And then he got to the passage that said, essentially, yes, war is a nasty, bad thing. But sometimes war is the only option, even the just option, and the United States reserves the right to go to war to protect our interests and our people.

You could see the shock and crushing defeat in their eyes. It was almost as bad as if John Holmes had whipped out his... better half... and slapped the King and Queen of Norway across the face with it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2124 on: February 27, 2023, 08:47:06 AM »
Headline says destroyed, article says damaged

A £274million Russian spy plane has reportedly been destroyed in a drone attack near Minsk by a pro-Ukraine Belarus group.

Belarusian partisans and members of the country's exiled opposition said they damaged Vladimir Putin's A-50U surveillance military aircraft in a secret mission.

Two participants had used drones and had already left the country, claimed Franak Viacorka, a close adviser of opposition figurehead Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya.

Don't recalling hearing anything about this group before this

Putin's £274million spy plane 'is destroyed in drone attack near Minsk by pro-Ukraine Belarus group'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11797397/Putin-274million-spy-plane-destroyed-drone-attack-near-Minsk-pro-Ukraine-Belarus-group.html
- Calvin and Hobbes