Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 134579 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #2250 on: March 28, 2023, 10:58:09 AM »
I'm guessing you'd want to hit the top two locks and hope that the flow from the top lock would be sufficient to erode around the rest of the lock structure before the operators were able to open the remaining locks.  If they did so you'd probably just end up with a spillway and relatively little damage.

Which would drain the reservoir and thus have much of the same effect as busting the dam.
One somewhat mitigating factor in how much water drains out may be how deep the water is before the uppermost lock.
But they're screwed either way.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2251 on: March 28, 2023, 11:06:46 AM »
You guys are all getting APS flagged on government lists all over the world.  :rofl:

I would think all possible sides in this were/are already aware of the dam's vulnerabilities
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2252 on: March 28, 2023, 11:08:39 AM »
I'm sure all sides in this are already aware of the dam's vulnerabilities

You did see the little laughing guy at the end of my sentence, yeah?  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2253 on: March 28, 2023, 11:11:19 AM »
Which would drain the reservoir and thus have much of the same effect as busting the dam.
If they open all the locks they'd only have 5 meters or so of loss at most, and that's assuming they can't cofferdam it within a month or so.

One somewhat mitigating factor in how much water drains out may be how deep the water is before the uppermost lock.
That's not somewhat mitigating, that's crucial.  A relatively controlled release of at most 5 meters of water through the lock system would be nothing compared to what that river system can handle.  They release more water than that during regular power generation and their spillway has probably released twice or three times as much during flooding.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2254 on: March 28, 2023, 11:14:11 AM »
The Japanese had plans to hit the Panama Canal locks with torpedo planes launched from submarines and would have used the I-400 class submarines for this purpose. Almost put in into action.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2255 on: March 28, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »
If they open all the locks they'd only have 5 meters or so of loss at most, and that's assuming they can't cofferdam it within a month or so.
That's not somewhat mitigating, that's crucial.  A relatively controlled release of at most 5 meters of water through the lock system would be nothing compared to what that river system can handle.  They release more water than that during regular power generation and their spillway has probably released twice or three times as much during flooding.

But do we know how deep? I would think deep enough to allow for droughts.

Either way it would cause a huge disruption in critically important river traffic for months at the very least
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 11:28:07 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2256 on: March 28, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »
The Nazis repaired the Ruhr dams within 6 months I think.  Still, it diverted substantial resources from Normandy to do so, which was probably consequential to the success of the D-day invasion. 

If we got into a for realz war with China it would be bordering on pointless to attack the TGD if the best we could hope for was disrupting river barge traffic for 6 months.  Destroying the power generating infrastructure would be a worthy goal if a full dam breach wasn’t feasible.  But even that would only disrupt them for however long it took to get replacement parts for the damaged bits.  That could be weeks, or that could be decades depending upon how much other industrial capacity we managed to disrupt.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2257 on: March 28, 2023, 11:31:18 AM »
But do we know how deep? I would think deep enough to allow for droughts.
It almost doesn't matter.  The rate would be limited by the size of the breach and the geometry of the lock system and would mean they're likely to be able to put in temporary repairs before anything horrific happens.  As long as they were able to prevent erosion around the lock system they could keep the rate at a point that it would be manageable.

Either way it would cause a huge disruption of critically important river traffic for months at the very least
Oh sure, but that's hardly worth anything if we're assuming we are already to the point of attacking civilian infrastructure.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2258 on: March 28, 2023, 11:39:39 AM »
I was keeping it at hurting them. More than that like I said a few posts up nukes are probably flying at that point.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2259 on: March 28, 2023, 02:49:42 PM »
That is a fair issue.  At the point where an enemy is attacking your internal infrastructure with off shore missiles or attack craft, you would probably be looking at using your nuclear weapons. 

.... unless your country is named "Israel", then you are supposed to just sit and take it.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2260 on: March 29, 2023, 01:43:18 PM »
^^^  The movie was called "Dambusters" if I remember correctly.

There was one by that title that came out in 2003 (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0858429/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0) but there was an older movie which is the one I remembered.  It was titled "The Dam Busters" and starred Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046889/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_4
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2261 on: March 29, 2023, 03:13:41 PM »
There was one by that title that came out in 2003 (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0858429/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0) but there was an older movie which is the one I remembered.  It was titled "The Dam Busters" and starred Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046889/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_4

Thanks for the info.  "The Dam Busters" is the one I was thinking of.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2262 on: March 29, 2023, 05:52:14 PM »
Putin Immediately Surrenders After U.S. Airdrops Nashville Police Officers Into Battlefield
https://babylonbee.com/news/putin-immediately-surrenders-after-us-airdrops-nashville-police-officers-into-battlefield
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2263 on: March 30, 2023, 08:53:20 AM »
See who Biden trades for him
Oh, wait, white male. Never mind.

Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, 31, could face 20 years in Russian prison after authorities there arrested him on suspicion of spying when he visited Yekaterinburg to write about the feared Wagner group
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11919013/US-journalist-Evan-Gershkovich-31-arrested-Russia-suspicion-spying.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2264 on: March 30, 2023, 09:02:13 AM »
See who Biden trades for him
Oh, wait, white male. Never mind.

Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, 31, could face 20 years in Russian prison after authorities there arrested him on suspicion of spying when he visited Yekaterinburg to write about the feared Wagner group
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11919013/US-journalist-Evan-Gershkovich-31-arrested-Russia-suspicion-spying.html
Maybe he could trade the Uvalde cops so Putin could put them into the line against Ukraine . . . they'd probably show as much courage as some of the conscripts he's using now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2265 on: March 30, 2023, 09:05:56 AM »
The video is called "The T-14 Sucks" or something like that.  Largely a scarcastic look at the Russuan T-14 and its development.  Starts out with a lot of smart ass humor.  You can skip the first few minutes if you don't want to listen to it.   The last half is better.  Good commentary on the T-14 and Putin's military in general.  If he is to be believed, it is a reason we won't see some huge successful Russian offensive, just more of the same.  They might still win a war of attrition, but it won't be pretty or masterful. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opSlCGLGQ4
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2266 on: March 31, 2023, 10:19:41 AM »
Is it anything like a land war in Asia?

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2267 on: March 31, 2023, 10:55:55 AM »
Is it anything like a land war in Asia?

Woody

What about going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2268 on: April 01, 2023, 02:49:41 PM »
Well this is awkward

The last time Russia had the presidency, February 2022, it launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

It means the Security Council is being led by a country whose president is subject to an international arrest warrant for alleged war crimes.

Russia assumes UN Security Council presidency despite Ukrainian anger
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65146557
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2269 on: April 02, 2023, 12:03:09 PM »
What about going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line?

It's OK if second place is your goal ...  >:D

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2270 on: April 02, 2023, 03:48:29 PM »
Boom today

Video shows the moment a pro-Putin war propagandist was handed a statuette concealing a hidden bomb just minutes before it blew him to bits.

Vladlen Tatarsky, 40, real name Maxim Fomin, was killed in a St Petersburg cafe on Sunday in an explosion that left at least 25 people were wounded.

It is unclear who was behind the blast and Ukraine has denied involvement. Russia's state Investigative Committee said it has opened a murder investigation.

Sunday's explosion appeared to be the second assassination on Russian soil of a figure closely associated with the war in Ukraine.

Moment Putin war propagandist 'is handed statue containing bomb minutes before it blows him to bits in St Petersburg café' - as Russian puppet regime in eastern Ukraine blames Kyiv for blast that killed blogger and wounded 25
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11930499/One-person-killed-six-injured-explosion-caf-St-Petersburg.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2271 on: April 03, 2023, 10:19:30 AM »
Don't expect the Russians to be nice

'Statue assassin' at the mercy of Putin's thugs: Russian woman who 'killed military blogger Vladlen Tatarsky by giving him booby trapped sculpture' pleads her innocence as she is filmed being interrogated while chained to a radiator
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11933071/Daria-Trepova-handed-explosives-pro-Putin-blogger-insists-no-assassin.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2272 on: April 03, 2023, 04:51:49 PM »
Space Force’s development agency just put several new satellites into orbit
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/space-force-space-development-agency-satellites/?utm_term=Task%26Purpose_Today_04.03.23&utm_campaign=Task%20%26%20Purpose_TPToday_Actives_Dynamic&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

The 10 satellites are part of the agency’s initial program, called Tranche 0. Eight of them, built by York Space Systems, are meant to send visual data from space down to sensors on Earth. The other two, developed by SpaceX, use infrared sensors to track hypersonic missiles in flight. They were put into low-Earth orbit roughly 1,000 kilometers above the planet. Now in space, the 10 satellites are set to go through a period of testing before being put to use in exercises later this year.

At least it appears someone in the military is doing something along the lines of their actual mission.  Of course, I am sure these satellites have multiple uses.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2273 on: April 03, 2023, 05:03:08 PM »
Don't expect the Russians to be nice

'Statue assassin' at the mercy of Putin's thugs: Russian woman who 'killed military blogger Vladlen Tatarsky by giving him booby trapped sculpture' pleads her innocence as she is filmed being interrogated while chained to a radiator
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11933071/Daria-Trepova-handed-explosives-pro-Putin-blogger-insists-no-assassin.html

I wonder how much longer she has before she disappears or is disposed of by Putin?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2274 on: April 03, 2023, 05:03:40 PM »
Space Force’s development agency just put several new satellites into orbit
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/space-force-space-development-agency-satellites/?utm_term=Task%26Purpose_Today_04.03.23&utm_campaign=Task%20%26%20Purpose_TPToday_Actives_Dynamic&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

At least it appears someone in the military is doing something along the lines of their actual mission.  Of course, I am sure these satellites have multiple uses.

You might be surprised.  Unless other uses were part of original requirements it’s a big deal to change the what a satellite does, even in the design/development phase.