Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 135000 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #2476 on: June 05, 2023, 06:24:51 PM »
There will be another $100 million headed over this week.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2477 on: June 06, 2023, 08:57:40 AM »
Russia playing scorched earth?

Dam blown up in Russian-occupied Ukraine causes widespread flooding | DW News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNsTa90FjiA

'Nothing will survive here': Entire Ukrainian villages vanish underwater as Russia blows up Kakhovka dam 'from the inside' - forcing thousands to abandon their homes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12163585/Ukraine-accuses-Russia-destroying-major-dam-near-Kherson-warns-widespread-flooding.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2478 on: June 06, 2023, 09:08:28 AM »
There will be another $100 million headed over this week.
Half to accounts in Switzerland and the Cayman Islands, half to support the Ukrainian pension system. Less 10% for the big guy and his family. (Can't steal all of it, people would talk. Easier to explain an accounting error if SOME is spent locally.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2479 on: June 06, 2023, 09:28:41 AM »
Russia playing scorched earth?

Dam blown up in Russian-occupied Ukraine causes widespread flooding | DW News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNsTa90FjiA

'Nothing will survive here': Entire Ukrainian villages vanish underwater as Russia blows up Kakhovka dam 'from the inside' - forcing thousands to abandon their homes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12163585/Ukraine-accuses-Russia-destroying-major-dam-near-Kherson-warns-widespread-flooding.html
I think that also cuts off water to the Crimea or at least interrupts it.  I can only assume they thought this would spoil attacks down river or divert resources.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2480 on: June 06, 2023, 04:30:03 PM »
I think that also cuts off water to the Crimea or at least interrupts it.  I can only assume they thought this would spoil attacks down river or divert resources.

Yeah, it cuts off fresh water to Crimea and the nuke plant that sits right there.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2481 on: June 06, 2023, 07:57:01 PM »

Or it might be a tacit admission that they (the Russians) expect to lose the Crimean peninsula and they want to make it as costly as possible for the Ukrainians to retake their own country.

Putin needs to be brought before the world court and tried for war crimes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2482 on: June 06, 2023, 08:08:39 PM »
Or it might be a tacit admission that they (the Russians) expect to lose the Crimean peninsula and they want to make it as costly as possible for the Ukrainians to retake their own country.

Or "accidentally" fall from a hi-rise
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2483 on: June 06, 2023, 10:11:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-HLyoSD5lg
Update from Ukraine | Who blown up the Dam? Ukraine Lost Leopard-2 John Deer Modification

The John Deere Leopard-2 story is at the end. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2484 on: June 07, 2023, 07:16:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-HLyoSD5lg
Update from Ukraine | Who blown up the Dam? Ukraine Lost Leopard-2 John Deer Modification

The John Deere Leopard-2 story is at the end.

That John Deere probably cost more than most of the tanks over there
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2485 on: June 07, 2023, 09:05:25 AM »

I always chuckle when I see Americans say stuff like this.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2486 on: June 07, 2023, 09:39:14 AM »
Maybe drag him before the UN commission on human rights.   That would be laughable.   =)
All the world court would be is a chance for politicians to grand stand about how bad Putin is.  There wouldn't be any actual justice going on.  Stinks of world government crap. 

IMO, the worse "crime" is taking Ukrainian children and adopting them out to Russian families.  Long term demographic destruction of Ukraine. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2487 on: June 07, 2023, 10:53:59 AM »
Or "accidentally" fall from a hi-rise

or a helicopter.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2488 on: June 07, 2023, 10:58:01 AM »
I always chuckle when I see Americans say stuff like this.
Because of what Americans have done and gotten away with, or is it more of a wry chuckle because if it were to ever happen short of being initiated by Russia themselves it would require you going to work and probably never coming home and almost certainly result in nuclear exchanges?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2489 on: June 07, 2023, 11:29:20 AM »
Because of what Americans have done and gotten away with, or is it more of a wry chuckle because if it were to ever happen short of being initiated by Russia themselves it would require you going to work and probably never coming home and almost certainly result in nuclear exchanges?

Because the US, famously, did not ratify the Rome Treaty and holds that it's citizens are not subject to the authority of the ICC.

But  your reasons are worth a chuckle as well.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2490 on: June 07, 2023, 11:54:42 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2491 on: June 07, 2023, 11:58:19 AM »
Said hi-rise because people on the wrong side Putin seem to have a habit of "accidentally" falling out of windows or off balconies a lot. Would seem fitting if the same happened to him.
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2492 on: June 07, 2023, 12:25:01 PM »
If we had a real cia Putin could have some nice polonium tea and then us, the FSB, MI-6, Wagner dude and whoever else could all do the spiderman meme. Of course his replacement would be worse because Russia.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2493 on: June 07, 2023, 02:49:04 PM »
Oh lovely

“The area where the Kakhovka dam was is full of landmines, which are now floating in the water and are posing a huge risk,” Country Director at CARE Ukraine Fabrice Martin said in a statement.
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-06-07-23/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2494 on: June 07, 2023, 03:22:04 PM »
Landmines float?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2495 on: June 07, 2023, 04:45:15 PM »
Landmines float?

Some do.

They (at least anti-personnel ones) tend to be mostly composite and ceramic plus the charge these days to avoid the easy detection, and that stuff can easily be less dense than water. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2496 on: June 07, 2023, 06:32:20 PM »
In one of the news stories about the dam that I heard was that it was also the route the Ukrainians were planning on using to get into Crimea.  This will set that recapture plans back a bit.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2497 on: June 07, 2023, 08:19:14 PM »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2498 on: June 10, 2023, 10:27:28 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/06/09/america-weapons-china-00100373

If things get exciting with the PRC, it is not going to be pretty for us. Says the man who is seven miles downwind of the Jim Creek Naval Radio Station, one of the very first command, control and communication targets.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2499 on: June 10, 2023, 11:34:11 AM »
Let’s say all of the leftists and Chinese propagandists (redundancy alert) are right, and our military equipment would get utterly smoked by the PLA in a head to head fight.  Still, all we have to do is either by ourselves or with help from (or even if we don’t help they can accomplish this on their own) India, Australia, Indonesia, Vietnam put destroyers, subs, etc in the Gulf of Oman, Indian Ocean, Straights of Malacca, South China Sea and Philippine Sea (out of range of most Chinese warships) and put an embargo on oil tankers going to China and China would deindustrialize and go into famine in 6 months.

The USA is (or could very easily be) a net exporter of oil and oil products.  The whole world could embargo us for oil and while it might become more expensive we won’t run out for the foreseeable future.  Assuming our politicians would allow us to extract it.

China imports 75-80% of their oil needs.  75-80% of their imports come from the Middle East.  The rest comes from eastern Russian pipelines.  Well over half of their total oil imports come through the longest, most easily interdicted trade route in the world.  To get from the Middle East to China you have to pass through either the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden or the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman both of which have massive choke points.  Then you have to pass by India (not friendly to China) to get to the next choke point at the Straights of Malacca which takes you past Indonesia and Malaysia (not friendly to China).  Then you can finally get to the South China Sea but you still have to sail past Vietnam (very not friendly to China) and the Philippines (American ally) before you can get to a friendly port.

Put a stop to just middle eastern oil and China grinds to an economic halt.  Russia and China have never been allies really, and they won’t be especially motivated to crank up the pipeline exports.  But even if they do, a few well placed sabotage charges or cruise missiles would slow those flows long enough that china would collapse.

And that ignores the demographic issues facing China that will cripple their ability to thrive too.