Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 131009 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1925 on: November 01, 2022, 11:41:10 AM »
Do it like like most Americans, you yell "I      WANT     A      BEER!" 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1926 on: November 01, 2022, 12:12:40 PM »
No, I think I do logistics for our side, and our main logistics ports of entry are going to be Poland and somewhere on the Adriatic, and I already know how to order beer in Albania.

Mund të pi një birrë, të lutem?

(I speak fluent Google Translate)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1927 on: November 01, 2022, 02:19:26 PM »
Anyone know how to say "May I have another beer please?" in Polish?  I feel like I might need to know that in 2023.

"Beer, proszę?" is not right but probably good enough.  The correct way (I had to look it up) is "Proszę piwo" -- the 'w' is pronounced like a 'v'.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1928 on: November 01, 2022, 03:56:20 PM »
I know a retired engineer who worked in Holland a few years.  He said he never learned Dutch.  Said you couldn't throw a rock without hitting someone who spoke English and they all wanted to talk in English to practice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1929 on: November 01, 2022, 05:35:50 PM »
I know a retired engineer who worked in Holland a few years.  He said he never learned Dutch.  Said you couldn't throw a rock without hitting someone who spoke English and they all wanted to talk in English to practice. 

When I visited DAF (based in Eindhoven) on my way back from India that was pretty much true. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1930 on: November 01, 2022, 07:16:07 PM »
Yeah but I find if you make an effort to try and learn  the local lingo, even if you mangle it, they appreciate it, and might tell you about cool, non touristy spots.

Besides, my boss is probably bringing nuclear war to their country.  Least I can do is try and learn the language.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1931 on: November 01, 2022, 08:25:22 PM »
Anyone know how to say "May I have another beer please?" in Polish?  I feel like I might need to know that in 2023.

I was in Poland in March 2001, almost every young person spoke English and wanted to speak English with you. They bought me a lot of beer too, so I would talk with them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1932 on: November 01, 2022, 08:52:05 PM »
Same with the Philippines. Everyone I knew there worked for Microsoft and spoke English. I would screw with them and throw in some Tagalog. I don't have a problem with hot girls laughing at me.   
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1933 on: November 01, 2022, 09:01:31 PM »
Beerski pleaseski?

You really think Putin's going to try to invade Poland?

I think it's pretty evident, based on what's happening in Ukraine, that an attempted incursion into Poland would be an utter disaster times 10 for Putin and Russia.
I think even Putin understands that attack a NATO nation and suddenly Russian assets worldwide will be targeted by NATO nations.

Unless Brandon's Chinese masters order him to have the USA stand down. (They might delay the order until the USN blows through all their ammo sinking the Soviet Russian navy.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1934 on: November 05, 2022, 06:00:31 PM »
A couple times recently, I have heard the opinion that if Republicans win a majority in all or part of Congress, they will cut military funding for the Ukraine and the Ukrainians will automatically lose to the Russians. 

Do any of you think that is likely? 
1.  Would the R's cut the funding completely?
2.  Would the Ukrainians roll over of the US cut their support? 

At this point, they already have quite a bit of support and weapons in hand or in route.  I am skeptical that their victory is solely dependent on US support.  Of course, I probably don't have any idea just how much support we are giving.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1935 on: November 05, 2022, 06:04:48 PM »
A couple times recently, I have heard the opinion that if Republicans win a majority in all or part of Congress, they will cut military funding for the Ukraine and the Ukrainians will automatically lose to the Russians. 

Do any of you think that is likely? 
1.  Would the R's cut the funding completely?
2.  Would the Ukrainians roll over of the US cut their support? 

At this point, they already have quite a bit of support and weapons in hand or in route.  I am skeptical that their victory is solely dependent on US support.  Of course, I probably don't have any idea just how much support we are giving.

I'll bet there are some cuts. We seem to be sending "another $5 billion" on about a weekly basis, and there doesn't seem to be any good accounting of where anything is going. I'm guessing a lot of it is ending up in the hands of the Ukrainian version of oligarchs, which is bad enough if it's money, but if it's materiel, who knows where it might end up?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1936 on: November 05, 2022, 11:13:38 PM »
I'll bet there are some cuts. We seem to be sending "another $5 billion" on about a weekly basis, and there doesn't seem to be any good accounting of where anything is going. I'm guessing a lot of it is ending up in the hands of the Ukrainian version of oligarchs, which is bad enough if it's money, but if it's materiel, who knows where it might end up?
I think the flow of cash may be interrupted - weapons and ammo, I'm not so sure about.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1937 on: November 13, 2022, 03:40:56 PM »
Just to bump this back to the top.

It looks like a memo came out and most of pro Ukrainian twitter accounts have started talking about the "Liberation of Crimea" this winter.

Looks like as long as we keep giving them ammo, they are going to go for it.  I have no idea what Russia's response to the Ukrainian Army approaching Sevastopol will be, but I bet it won't be calm.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #1938 on: November 13, 2022, 04:04:55 PM »
Approach Sevastpol long after the supply line has been cut. Looks like a bunch might get trapped in Kherson too if the UA is really crossing the river.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1939 on: November 14, 2022, 10:52:50 AM »
It appears this whole FTX cryptocurrency thing has Ukraine and democrats heavily involved. I have been critical of all the money we're dumping in Ukrainian oligarch accounts, but in this case Ukraine appears to be the victim/patsy. A breaking story that will not make it into the MSM. FTX has been the biggest donor to Dems after George Soros.

https://heavy.com/news/sam-bankman-fried-ukraine-politics-biden/
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/11/14/james-woods-says-out-loud-what-the-mainstream-media-refuses-to-about-ftx-ukraine-and-democrats/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1940 on: November 14, 2022, 11:05:57 AM »
Zeihan on the impending fall of Crimea.

https://youtu.be/K9JfO_mI4oQ

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1941 on: November 14, 2022, 12:10:29 PM »
So if he pops a tac nuke on the Crimean Peninsula, which is arguably Russian territory, do we think NATO will respond?

I don't know.  There seems to be a pretty strong push in the west to fire up another war, and the EU might be willing to go get some natural gas.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1942 on: November 14, 2022, 02:04:10 PM »
Zeihan on the impending fall of Crimea.

https://youtu.be/K9JfO_mI4oQ
That is pretty interesting.  I haven't really been keeping up. 

I saw this video talking about different US weapon systems used over there.  I hadn't really appreciated how useful the mobile rocket launcher systems could be.  Makes some sense due to the range and alternative artillery has to shoot and move anyway.  Also, the drone swarms are a bit scary. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifBhKzKkkRU

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1943 on: November 14, 2022, 02:51:26 PM »
So if he pops a tac nuke on the Crimean Peninsula, which is arguably Russian territory, do we think NATO will respond?

I don't know.  There seems to be a pretty strong push in the west to fire up another war, and the EU might be willing to go get some natural gas.
NATO response? Depends on wind direction and the amount of fallout.

Since they have reactors, the Ukrainians can produce a pretty formidable "dirty bomb" if they want to. It wouldn't surprise me too much if they DID contaminate a large swath of Mother Russia in retaliation to a Putin nuke attack somewhere. A volunteer pilot in one of their supersonic aircraft could probably reach Moscow on a one-way trip and scatter a whole bunch of dirty bombs around. They might even have several volunteer pilots willing to do so.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1944 on: November 14, 2022, 03:39:54 PM »
NATO response? Depends on wind direction and the amount of fallout.

Since they have reactors, the Ukrainians can produce a pretty formidable "dirty bomb" if they want to. It wouldn't surprise me too much if they DID contaminate a large swath of Mother Russia in retaliation to a Putin nuke attack somewhere. A volunteer pilot in one of their supersonic aircraft could probably reach Moscow on a one-way trip and scatter a whole bunch of dirty bombs around. They might even have several volunteer pilots willing to do so.
If they start lobbing nukes, there will likely be plenty of volunteers from the areas hit.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1945 on: November 14, 2022, 03:57:22 PM »
If they start lobbing nukes, there will likely be plenty of volunteers from the areas hit.
In dogmush's scenario of setting a tactical nuke off in Crimea (presumably in response to a Ukrainian offensive into the area) it is a little more complex.  Maybe Ukraine has a bunch of Crimean natives in their air force, but I doubt Russia would nuke cities they claim as their own, so even if someone born in Crimea were upset about the nuke, I'm guessing it wouldn't be targeted at civilians.

While it is absolutely an escalation risk and a reduction in the barrier to more general use of nuclear weapons, I'm not convinced a tactical nuke would be a particularly effective tool to use.  Sure, if it were deployed against an urban area it would kill a lot of people, but it's not like Ukraine is going to be fielding mass formations of unprotected infantry in Crimea where a tactical nuke would be devastating. 

If Russia did use it operationally (as opposed to a demonstration which would probably be merely treated as a treaty violation and used to justify sending more money and equipment to Ukraine) it would likely not be very tactically effective and it would strategically be a nightmare for Russia.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1946 on: November 15, 2022, 03:32:49 PM »
Probably an accident but oh boy

Russian missiles land in Poland, killing two - reports
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-63593855

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1947 on: November 15, 2022, 04:45:04 PM »
War Solved: United States Puts Up Gun-Free Zone Sign In Ukraine
https://babylonbee.com/news/war-solved-united-states-puts-up-gun-free-zone-sign-in-ukraine
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1948 on: November 15, 2022, 04:46:55 PM »
Probably an accident but oh boy

Russian missiles land in Poland, killing two - reports
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-63593855

That's how bigger wars happen. Poland has been a full member of NATO since 1999.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1949 on: November 15, 2022, 04:55:37 PM »
That's how bigger wars happen. Poland has been a full member of NATO since 1999.

Party like it's 1999
- Calvin and Hobbes