Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 130873 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #1975 on: November 25, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »
Holy Crap... According to an FSB source, Putin's first plan was to... attack Japan, not Ukraine.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2835950189566/russia-planned-to-attack-japan-in-2021-leaked-fsb-letters?_f=app_share&s=a1&share_destination_id=OTk4MzEzMTEtMTY2OTM0MDMyOTk0Mg==&pd=06ksgROV&hl=en_US&send_time=1669340329&actBtn=fb&trans_data=%7B%22platform%22%3A1%2C%22cv%22%3A%2222.46.0%22%2C%22languages%22%3A%22en%22%7D

You want World War III? Because that's how you get World War III.

Although I have absolutely no doubt that the JSDF would have done an even more thorough job of crushing the Russian military.

I think someone has been drinking too much mushroom coffee.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1976 on: November 25, 2022, 05:19:42 PM »
Given how well Russia's logistics did driving through Belarus an eastern Ukraine, I kinda want to see them try and cross Siberia and the Sea of Japan.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1977 on: November 25, 2022, 05:27:55 PM »
I doubt the "invasion" would have lasted long enough to become WWIII.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1978 on: November 26, 2022, 12:15:38 PM »
 [tinfoil]

Belarus foreign minister dies suddenly at 64 - one day after meeting Pope's envoy amid speculation they were discussing secret peace plan to end Ukraine war
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11472289/Belarus-foreign-minister-dies-suddenly-speculation-hed-discussing-secret-peace-plan.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1979 on: November 28, 2022, 07:22:00 AM »
Wow, this picture is just SO out of 1984 it's not even funny.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1980 on: December 02, 2022, 11:34:26 PM »
Back from the front: a British volunteer in Ukraine -- Lindybeige
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbD4WBqPg4
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1981 on: December 06, 2022, 11:12:40 AM »
We've Reached the TikTok Dance Stage of the War...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23j8jOwYwL4
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1982 on: December 13, 2022, 08:53:37 AM »
Reportedly Russia is using old "antique" An-2s converted to drones as SAM bait.

Russia's New Secret Weapon Against Ukraine? 75 Year Old Biplanes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7I3Illsuqg
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1983 on: December 13, 2022, 09:02:53 AM »

Now THAT is a *expletive deleted*ing war crime!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1984 on: December 13, 2022, 09:21:33 AM »
I'm trying to find a sharable video, but the Ukrainian Defense Ministry has a video of the Russians trying to unload a tank (or BMP) from a train. It looks like it partially slipped off, so they pull it the rest of the way off the car with a tow cable and... it flips upside down.

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1985 on: December 13, 2022, 09:43:26 AM »

Using cheap drones to soak up SAM's, especially the bigger and more expensive missiles, would seem to be a decent strategy.  Most of those launchers have a limited capacity.  Especially if the cheap plans could mount missiles or bombs such that they couldn't be ignored. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1986 on: December 13, 2022, 09:47:53 AM »
Especially if the cheap plans could mount missiles or bombs such that they couldn't be ignored.

Pretty much what they're doing by packing them full of explosives meaning the Us can't ignore them and they soak up a missile(s) costing $$$$$ more.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1987 on: December 13, 2022, 11:49:47 AM »
A few countries still field gun based anti-air batteries.  Sounds like something that would still be useful as a way to counter such tactics. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1988 on: December 13, 2022, 12:42:39 PM »
I heard through the grapevine a bit ago that one of my former coworkers received a notification that he was being recalled for service... in the Russian Army.

He's been living in the United States since the mid 1990s, and I think he's a naturalized citizen.

:rofl:

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1989 on: December 13, 2022, 02:13:57 PM »
A few countries still field gun based anti-air batteries.  Sounds like something that would still be useful as a way to counter such tactics.

Ukraine has both ZSU-23-4M Shilkas and ZPRK 2K22 Tunguskas fielded.  Both of those systems are more than capable of taking down an AN-2 with guns, as are Stingers which are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 04:20:38 PM by dogmush »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1990 on: December 13, 2022, 03:26:32 PM »
I came across an article saying that Britain was sending Ukraine a bunch of old farm pickup trucks which Ukraine was fitting with things like .50 BMGs in the back. (Somali Technicals?) These were being used to shoot down drones, and the right hand drive was confusing Russian snipers who would shoot through the left side of the windshield as they tried to kill the driver. Supposedly these vehicles had accounted for a number of drones and even cruise missiles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/how-russian-snipers-are-being-fooled-by-a-fleet-of-aging-farm-pickup-trucks-from-britain/ar-AA1596oi
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bscl

• friends
« Reply #1991 on: December 13, 2022, 08:13:16 PM »
Ukraine received several Flakpanzer Gepard self-propelled AAA units as well. Those would be perfect for biplane drones. There are youtube  videos of them in use.
Life Member NRA, SAF

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1992 on: December 17, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
Ukrainian General saying Russia is gearing up for another go at Kyiv.
Not saying it's true but I could see Putin trying a Hail Mary in an attempt to end the war on his terms.

'I have no doubt Russia will have another go at Kyiv': Putin is building a 200,000-man army for a SECOND attack on Ukraine's capital that could start within WEEKS, country's top general warns
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11542391/Russia-attack-Kyiv-Ukraines-general-warns.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1993 on: December 17, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
Ukrainian General saying Russia is gearing up for another go at Kyiv.
Not saying it's true but I could see Putin trying a Hail Mary in an attempt to end the war on his terms.

'I have no doubt Russia will have another go at Kyiv': Putin is building a 200,000-man army for a SECOND attack on Ukraine's capital that could start within WEEKS, country's top general warns
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11542391/Russia-attack-Kyiv-Ukraines-general-warns.html

It wouldn't surprise me.

And they'll probably stage the attack from Belarus.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1994 on: December 18, 2022, 07:21:23 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/war-in-ukraine-has-decimated-a-once-feared-russian-brigade/

From the article:

Nuclear-armed submarines slip in and out of the frigid waters along the coast of Russia’s Kola Peninsula at the northern edge of Europe. Missiles capable of destroying cities are stored by the dozens in bunkers burrowed into the inland hills.

Since the Cold War, this Arctic arsenal has been protected by a combat unit considered one of Russia’s most formidable — the 200th Separate Motor Rifle Brigade — until it sent its best fighters and weapons to Ukraine this year and was effectively destroyed.

The 200th was among the first units to plunge into Ukraine on Feb. 24, as part of a fearsome assault on the city of Kharkiv. By May, the unit was staggering back across the Russian border desperate to regroup, according to internal brigade documents reviewed by The Washington Post and to previously undisclosed details provided by Ukrainian and Western military and intelligence officials.

A document detailing a mid-war inventory of its ranks shows that by late May, fewer than 900 soldiers were left in two battalion tactical groups that, according to Western officials, had departed the brigade’s garrison in Russia with more than 1,400. The brigade’s commander was badly wounded. And some of those still being counted as part of the unit were listed as hospitalized, missing or “refuseniks” unwilling to fight, according to the document, part of a trove of internal Russian military files obtained by Ukraine’s security services and provided to The Post.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1995 on: December 18, 2022, 07:42:35 AM »
according to the document, part of a trove of internal Russian military files obtained by Ukraine’s security services and provided to The Post.

Anytime I see the Ukraine gov as the source, I have to question the veracity of the information. Ever since the "Ghost of Kyiv", they have shown themselves to be masters of propaganda. They are probably better at it than even the US.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1996 on: December 18, 2022, 09:38:13 AM »
Anytime I see the Ukraine gov as the source, I have to question the veracity of the information. Ever since the "Ghost of Kyiv", they have shown themselves to be masters of propaganda. They are probably better at it than even the US.

They were part of the Soviet propaganda system and learned much in that time.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1997 on: December 18, 2022, 10:10:53 AM »
Nothing new

WW-I

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1998 on: December 18, 2022, 10:12:11 AM »
I remember there was one showing German soldiers tossing babies onto their bayonet but I can't find it now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1999 on: December 18, 2022, 01:03:05 PM »
I remember there was one showing German soldiers tossing babies onto their bayonet but I can't find it now.

It was Japanese, and it was a photograph from Nanking.