Author Topic: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....  (Read 224587 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: War in Eastern Europe, what's it good for ....
« Reply #3175 on: July 01, 2024, 05:13:53 PM »
It's good to be a Zelenskyy:

https://x.com/aussiecossack/status/1807774973047758873

The missus just bought a brand new Bugatti.

Holy hell. I knew they were expensive, but the cheapest model starts at $2 million and they run to $12 million.

https://luxe.digital/lifestyle/garage/bugatti-price-list/

*expletive deleted*ck off, Ukrainian government. This is no different than what any Russian Oligarch does. I wonder when Jill Biden is getting hers?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3176 on: July 01, 2024, 05:36:56 PM »
I wonder when Jill Biden is getting hers?

It wouldn't surprise me if she already has.  Just keeping it under wraps until after her pull toy leaves office.

"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3177 on: July 01, 2024, 06:19:01 PM »
It's good to be a Zelenskyy:

https://x.com/aussiecossack/status/1807774973047758873

The missus just bought a brand new Bugatti.

Not for nothing, but that post is an AI generated video, has been community noted, and in the thread it claims the car was delivered,  but the invoice they modified says the car will be built in Jan '26.

I suspect this is not a true story, short of some more believable evidence.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3178 on: July 01, 2024, 06:25:42 PM »
I'm not on x so can't see community notes, but if this is AI, it's certainly an example of what I keep saying here about AI dangers, and it certainly fooled me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3179 on: July 01, 2024, 06:29:05 PM »
If you go full screen on a large monitor it looks fake. His mouth movements in particular don't look natural
And it very well could have a foot print trail going back to the Kremlin

I'm not on x so can't see community notes, but if this is AI, it's certainly an example of what I keep saying here about AI dangers, and it certainly fooled me.

What you may not be seeing

Aussie Cossack
@aussiecossack
·
8h
Embedded video
🚨🤣🇺🇦Zelesnky's wife Olena just spent 4.5 million euros of your tax payer money on a brand new Bugatti Turbillon (1 out of 250) in France.

💰An employee of the Bugatti dealership in Paris by the name of Jacques Bertin revealed that the Zelensky's made this purchase whilst
Currently rated helpful
2h
·
Shown on X
Note originally added to the video on this post, and is showing on 6 posts that include this video
This video is a deepfake video. This guy is not real and this was never said.

The website that is linked literally still has parts describing what should be put there along with the fake news.

https://x.com/kylejglen/status/1807848412450050529?s=46&t=s7gM3tDMwHh9_2X-Gv40sA

Simeon Boikov is a known Kremlin propagandist.

https://vatniksoup.com/en/soups/193/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3180 on: July 01, 2024, 07:37:01 PM »
Not for nothing, but that post is an AI generated video, has been community noted, and in the thread it claims the car was delivered,  but the invoice they modified says the car will be built in Jan '26.

I suspect this is not a true story, short of some more believable evidence.

There lies the problem, how do you know the people doing community notes (which I can't see either) are any more truthful than the original poster of the video or the source webpage? You can't trust anyone or anything in this day and age.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3181 on: July 02, 2024, 04:54:36 AM »
There lies the problem, how do you know the people doing community notes (which I can't see either) are any more truthful than the original poster of the video or the source webpage? You can't trust anyone or anything in this day and age.

bob

Community Notes need to include sources, it is incumbent upon the reader to check the sources and judge their veracity.  Just reading a Note and taking it as gospel is no different than taking a random tweet as gospel. Community Notes are a great resource,  and help against X itself manipulating  the feed again, but are just one tool in the information war.

To be fair, it has always been the job of the reader of news to judge the credibility of the news source,  most were just to lazy to do it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3182 on: July 02, 2024, 07:36:06 AM »
To be fair, it has always been the job of the reader of news to judge the credibility of the news source,  most were just to lazy to do it.

This is absolutely true. However, in the age of information overload, I could easily spend my entire day verifying stories and sources. At some point, I have to outsource my research to a trusted source. Sadly, it seems I can't always trust even my trusted sources.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3183 on: July 02, 2024, 09:01:32 AM »
Thread Drift:

I actually find it easier now than in the Pre internet/information overload age.  I can read something (like the post above), click the links in the "note" read them, scan the profile of the OP for obvious bias, and find and and skim background articles in like 5-10 min. That generally gives you a decent feel for "true, untrue, or can't easily tell, don't trust" which is all you really need for 95% of internet news articles.

In the case of the linked post about the Bugatti, it took less time to get to the conclusion that that was *probably* untrue and move on than I have spent since talking about it.  In the 90's it was much more difficult, or imposable, to look up competing news sources or even a different POV. 

In the age of engagement farming for money and open propaganda fights from multiple sources you gotta be active about intel assessment.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3184 on: July 02, 2024, 09:16:02 AM »
Thread Drift:

I actually find it easier now than in the Pre internet/information overload age.  I can read something (like the post above), click the links in the "note" read them, scan the profile of the OP for obvious bias, and find and and skim background articles in like 5-10 min. That generally gives you a decent feel for "true, untrue, or can't easily tell, don't trust" which is all you really need for 95% of internet news articles.

Yeah, but you're a government worker. You can spend all day doing that stuff from your desk at work. I'm retired, so I have way less free time than a government worker does.  =D =D =D

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3185 on: July 02, 2024, 09:30:21 AM »
I'm retired, so I have way less free time than a government worker does.  =D =D =D
:rofl:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3186 on: July 02, 2024, 09:33:21 AM »
Ouch!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3187 on: July 02, 2024, 03:49:20 PM »
Not for nothing, but that post is an AI generated video

Well ... *expletive deleted*it.

In my defense, there was no community note when I posted the link.  Still should not have taken the article at face value.

Lesson learned.

"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3188 on: July 02, 2024, 11:26:26 PM »
Yeah, but you're a government worker. You can spend all day doing that stuff from your desk at work.
I'm retired, so I have way less free time than a government worker does.  =D =D =D

Yeah, it's all those "Honey do" projects !  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3189 on: July 21, 2024, 07:25:47 PM »
I don't follow the events in Ukraine, so there may be nothing new here, but just in case:

https://amgreatness.com/2024/07/20/david-sacks-policy-elite-finally-admitting-project-ukraine-is-joever/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife