Author Topic: When Salsa Explodes  (Read 1840 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: When Salsa Explodes
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 07:08:39 AM »
I would expect that if the container was sitting out at non-refrigerated temperatures. I was surprised that it gassed up that quickly sitting in the fridge.

My guess?

It sat in the warehouse or on a loading dock, unrefrigerated, for a couple of hours or more, came far too close to room temperature, and that kicked everything into high gear.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2022, 07:46:30 AM »
My guess?

It sat in the warehouse or on a loading dock, unrefrigerated, for a couple of hours or more, came far too close to room temperature, and that kicked everything into high gear.

Very likely.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2022, 07:51:04 AM »
Have your ears stopped ringing yet, Ben?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 07:53:33 AM »
I had a roll of ground turkey fall unnoticed out of a grocery bag in the car.  Didn't realize it until a couple of days, maybe a week, later it exploded with a rather loud bang.

I thought I had been hit by another car.  They really seal those things up in their plastic wrap and aluminum seals at each end.

I had to use my gas mask to clean it up, and the car smelled like hell for a week and I had to drive with the windows open. No way to close off that back area in a station wagon.

I was going to complain that the receipt showed the turkey and it hadn't been packed by the sacker but I hadn't got around to it yet.

Oh lord, that makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2022, 07:56:22 AM »
Have your ears stopped ringing yet, Ben?

:rofl:

Yup, back to just the regular tinnitus now.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2022, 07:59:28 AM »
One also can't know the storage conditions before one bought it.  I cooked a frozen dinner that turned out to be a bit funky after microwaving it.  I figured maybe it had gone through too many defrost cycles while in the store freezer.

Not supposed to happen, but you never know.

Garbage disposal time.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2022, 08:37:45 AM »
Not sure if I've ever told this story, but this is a good place to do it.

In 1971 I was in first grade at the elementary school in the town where I grew up.

It had been built in 1920 so it didn't have a kitchen for school lunches. They prepared those at the high school a few miles up the road and brought everything to our school in containers.

In September it was really warm, and someone set the big kettle of macaroni salad out early... WAY too early, and it went feral. SERIOUSLY feral.

After lunch everyone in the school -- students and staff -- who had eaten the mac salad, started vomiting. I was sitting next to my friend John and I turned my head and puked all over his sweater, which was hanging off the back of his chair. John was one of the few students whose Mom had packed his lunch that day, so he didn't get sick.

A lot of students and staff ended up in the hospital overnight because of it.

I can still remember that smell. It was awful, a couple hundred people vomiting in the school and outside on the school grounds.

The thing that always amazed me was how quickly it made everyone sick. Some of the students who ate last started vomiting probably no more than 30 minutes to an hour after eating. I can't remember how long the school was closed because of that, but I think it was at least several days because they had to do a room by room deep clean and disinfection of the entire school. And, everyone was still recovering.

I didn't eat macaroni salad for 40 years because of that. It's still a running joke at my class reunions. Invariably someone brings a tub of macaroni salad.

The interesting thing is, the other elementary school in the system, Duncannon, didn't get hit with it. Apparently the salad that went to them was properly handled.

When I was cleaning out Mom's house after she died, I found the newspapers from that that she had saved. I still have them.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2022, 09:20:50 AM »
Had a similar situation with Italian food. We brought some home in NY from the summer house in New Jersey and I was hungry, so Mom spooned some out into a dish for me.  It tasted "different," but I threw it all up a short time later.

Mom realized that Italian food did not travel well and flushed it all down the tubes.

I've always been a little leery of "kept" tomato based food since then, but after all, that stuff had traveled 100 miles.

Through New Jersey.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »
Wife and daughter canned 23 pints of salsa last summer. Tomatoes, peppers and onions all out of my garden. Good stuff.

Piker.

We usually make close to 200 pints.   The grandkids love it, and good salsa is around $6 per pint.

We have probably made thousands of quarts of dill pickles over the years, and a few went bad (maybe 1%).  Usually they just cloud up and get thrown out, but a couple of them fizzed when you opened them.  Bad juju.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2022, 07:04:38 PM »
We also got in 30 pints of spaghetti sauce, 20 pints of pizza sauce and 25 pints of chili base as well. Plus there are dozens of quart bags of frozen tomatoes, peppers and onions in the big freezer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 07:18:57 PM »
To be fair, I can't grow enough Romas of chiles for our salsa.  We'll buy a bushel of roasted Pueblo Chiles and 50# of Romas from a local farm a few times in September, then spend the afternoon canning salsa.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2022, 07:19:30 PM »
A few years ago, while in the middle of Santa season, I stopped at Wally World on the way home, bought a bag of frozen chicken wing appetizers.

Mistake.

Yeah, about 45 minutes or so, and there I was, sitting on Santa's white throne with my new friend, Mr. Bukkitt perched on my knee...

Santa called in at about 0200 and left a message that they didn't really want him to be around the next morning, and went back to his perusal of the bathroom... I think everything pretty much stopped about 0600... Was pretty rocky through the next day, and then the next day, was back at the gig...

After that... Nothing but McD's or similar for the whole season. Usually mall Chik-fil-a for lunch.
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »
A few years ago, while in the middle of Santa season, I stopped at Wally World on the way home, bought a bag of frozen chicken wing appetizers.

Mistake.

Yeah, about 45 minutes or so, and there I was, sitting on Santa's white throne with my new friend, Mr. Bukkitt perched on my knee...

Santa called in at about 0200 and left a message that they didn't really want him to be around the next morning, and went back to his perusal of the bathroom... I think everything pretty much stopped about 0600... Was pretty rocky through the next day, and then the next day, was back at the gig...

After that... Nothing but McD's or similar for the whole season. Usually mall Chik-fil-a for lunch.

Sounds like one of kids gave you rotovirus
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2022, 07:41:19 PM »
I got home at about 10:15 at night, mellowed in the kitchen, chowed, and was incapacitated around midnight. Both ends, sometimes simultaneously. I knew something was bad when the tummy started doing gymnastics shortly before... Was pretty much just fine, slept through most of the next day...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2022, 07:27:07 AM »
Problem is a lot of the nasty stomach viruses really mimic a nasty case of food poisoning.

Back in the early 1990s two friends and I ate at a BBQ restaurant. We all had exactly the same thing BBQ chicken and ribs special.

The next day I got BRUTALLY sick. Not much vomiting (incredible nausea, though), but the other end? Express service. If I took something by mouth, it was exiting 10 to 15 minutes later.

It took 4 days to run its course and I had really bad problems staying hydrated to the point where I finally had to call my doctor.

My two friends didn't get sick, so I'm certain it was not food poisoning, just some rampaging virus.

The worst part about it? I couldn't eat BBQ for over a year. Just smelling BBQ sauce made me sick to my stomach.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2022, 07:23:32 PM »
All I can say is, my first trip to Cane's Chicken is still my last. Stick with the Jesus chicken.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife