Author Topic: Justice Stephen Breyer to retire  (Read 10221 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Justice Stephen Breyer to retire
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2022, 05:57:09 PM »
Not mutually exclusive conditions.

Besides, how prepared did she really need to be? It's not like she isn't going to be confirmed regardless of anything she says or how FUBAR her judicial decisions from the past have been.
Salty Cracker was speculating that she was meant to be rejected to give them something to campaign on this Fall. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2022, 06:30:40 PM »
And they called us crazy for predicting this.

And hateful.

Because love is love.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2022, 07:15:59 PM »
Salty Cracker was speculating that she was meant to be rejected to give them something to campaign on this Fall.

I gotta disagree with that only because she was the least far left of the final list.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2022, 08:33:40 PM »
Maybe she'll surprise us and actually do the job.

Hey, you can always hope. After all, Kavanaugh has been rather a disappointment, and Amy Coney Barret has been a major disappointment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2022, 10:39:45 AM »
On a related note, not much is being said about Justice Clarence Thomas still being in the hospital for an infection.  Early speculation was that would be out by last Tuesday, two days ago.

Thomas was just discharged from the hospital.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2022, 10:52:35 AM »
Thomas was just discharged from the hospital.

And will be walking right into the maw of some shitstorm that apparently just started about texts his wife wrote. I'm suddenly seeing calls for impeachment everywhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2022, 10:59:44 AM »
The only one I've seen calling for his impeachment is Ilhan Omar.

Good luck with that.  She'll forget it soon enough and go back to hating on the Jews/Israel.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2022, 11:04:00 AM »
Ok, Mehdi Hasan is also calling for Democrats to impeach Thomas.

He's an MSNBC talking head and, if anything, is even farther to the left than Omar.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2022, 11:13:41 AM »
Please try to impeach the only black man on SCOTUS in an election year for something his wife did that was probably not illegal. I keep seeing headline that say we have the texts but haven't seen anyone print them.

Come on Dem's I dare you.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »
^^^Here are some of the messages.  Nothing particularly shocking, in my view.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/24/virginia-thomas-mark-meadows-texts/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2022, 11:57:03 AM »
I couldn't read the whole dribble. If that was the worst they have it's nothing. She is intitled to an opinion just like everyone else. 
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2022, 12:33:06 PM »
Y'all don't like her because she has too much empathy.
Actually shocked they didn't throw in black and female in for good measure. Or maybe that's just automatically assumed nowadays.

Democrats praised President Joe Biden’s choice of the Harvard-educated lawyer and appellate court judge as long overdue, making the judicial branch begin to look more like America.

But Republicans argue Jackson brings too much empathy to the job. https://t.co/392C6FSXK8

— The Associated Press (@AP) March 25, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/03/25/the-ap-zeroes-in-on-republicans-real-problem-with-ketanji-brown-jackson-shes-got-too-much-empathy/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2022, 01:12:08 PM »
'Democrats praised President Joe Biden’s choice of the Harvard-educated lawyer and appellate court judge as long overdue, making the judicial branch begin to look more like America.'

Really? America is that pedophile friendly?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2022, 04:14:39 PM »
Are Leftists demanding to see Mrs. Thomas's yearbook yet?

I should probably start a fake Twitter account, and post provocative photos of her (alleged) yearbook. Should I wait until April 1st?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2022, 05:13:35 PM »
Are Leftists demanding to see Mrs. Thomas's yearbook yet?

I should probably start a fake Twitter account, and post provocative photos of her (alleged) yearbook. Should I wait until April 1st?
No need to wait.  Add her to the pictures of Ralph Northam from Virginia.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2022, 06:39:46 PM »
'Democrats praised President Joe Biden’s choice of the Harvard-educated lawyer and appellate court judge as long overdue, making the judicial branch begin to look more like America.'

That doesn't look like America.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2022, 11:25:27 AM »
I couldn't read the whole dribble. If that was the worst they have it's nothing. She is intitled to an opinion just like everyone else.

Not according the the left. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supreme-court-s-clarence-thomas-released-from-hospital-after-week-long-stay/ar-AAVuSqT

They are dredging up ethics "authorities" who are authoritatively proclaiming that it's a conflict of interest, so Clarence Thomas must go. Basically, they smell blood in the water and they're trying extra hard to get Biden another nomination so they can push the court back toward the leftist/liberal/woke orientation they so dearly want.

According to the rules, only Justice Thomas can say if there's a conflict of interest rising to a level that would call for him to recuse himself. He and his wife have been married for a long time. I'm fairly certain that they have had a few discussions about her freedom to hold her opinions and to not try to influence him, and his freedom to vote his view of the law in cases without incurring her wrath.

My parents were both registered Republicans, because when I was growing up our little town was Republican. The Democrats (who have since taken over, and pretty much ruined the place) were a tiny minority. Nonetheless, my father was such a staunch Republican that he would have voted for Attila the Hun if Attila had been a Republican. My mother found such unreasoning loyalty to the party sufficiently troublesome that she always voted Democratic, just to counteract my father's vote. (Yeah, that was an equally unreasoning strategy, but Mom didn't see it that way.) So IMHO the fact that Mrs. Thomas holds certain opinions and exercises her freedom to express them is a HUGE nothingburger.

[Edit to add]Here's how far they're trying to push it: From the same link I posted above:

Stephen Gillers, an ethics expert at New York University Law School, said Justice Thomas had an obligation under the recusal statute to know about his wife’s activities. He can’t claim ignorance about her work, Gillers said, or intentionally avoid becoming informed about her actions.

“It was his job to ensure the public would not question his impartiality” in cases involving the 2020 election and Congress’s investigation of the attack on the Capitol, Gillers said. “The public would suspect that the Thomases talked about the post-election challenge.”

So, according to this mental giant, a Supreme Court justice who intentionally lives his life in a way that preserves his objectivity is WRONG. Apparently this clown thinks justices aren't allowed be objective -- they apparently have an affirmative obligation to inform themselves of things that might create a conflict of interest ... so they can then be required to recuse themselves on the basis of the conflict that they intentionally didn't avoid.

Words fail me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 12:15:07 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2022, 02:36:10 PM »
If the left didn’t have double standards they would have no standards at all.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2022, 12:10:35 PM »
Again, she'll very likely get in, but...

“I do not hold a position on whether individuals possess natural rights.”

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/02/instant-no-vote-scotus-nominees-written-answer-to-sen-cruzs-natural-rights-question-catches-lots-of-attention/

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2022, 12:15:45 PM »

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/04/02/instant-no-vote-scotus-nominees-written-answer-to-sen-cruzs-natural-rights-question-catches-lots-of-attention/

I was just coming here to post that.
Bet it won't effect one single dem vote and that makes me very sad.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2022, 12:34:57 PM »
Anyone really surprised?

Liberals believe that the only rights are those created by, and doled out with an eyedropper by, the Government.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2022, 10:49:38 PM »

And I give about 3/5s of a *expletive deleted*it about her opinion.  See how that works?

SCOTUS was well on it's way to being a joke before they nominated her.  Confirming her would just make it official.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2022, 10:36:15 AM »
    This is stunning.

The Declaration of Independence proclaims:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights….”

KBJ says she has”no position” on whether this is true. https://t.co/0VV5dg3ssS

— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) April 3, 2022
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/04/03/stunning-and-not-in-a-good-way-ted-cruz-just-blisters-kbj-for-having-no-position-on-whether-or-not-our-rights-are-inherent/

Just based on her statement on rights in a sane world she shouldn't, wouldn't get a single yes vote but we don't live in a sane world do we?
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/04/03/stunning-and-not-in-a-good-way-ted-cruz-just-blisters-kbj-for-having-no-position-on-whether-or-not-our-rights-are-inherent/

Just based on her statement on rights in a sane world she shouldn't, wouldn't get a single yes vote but we don't live in a sane world do we?

Susan Collins is apparently a “yes” so now it’ll be a “bi-partisan” vote to confirm.