Author Topic: Justice Stephen Breyer to retire  (Read 10187 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Justice Stephen Breyer to retire
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 12:34:59 PM »
If they're going to dust off the court packing scheme, now's the time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 12:36:51 PM »
Justice Kamila Harris  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 12:38:54 PM »
If they're going to dust off the court packing scheme, now's the time.

If they couldn't get the votes to end the filibuster,  I doubt they can pack the court.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 12:54:48 PM »
Well, this should be interesting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 12:58:51 PM »
Well, this should be interesting.

That's an understatement.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 01:03:35 PM »
If they couldn't get the votes to end the filibuster,  I doubt they can pack the court.

Exactly... but I want them to expend time and energy on another failed effort. Another failure for the Democrats leading into the midterms.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 01:09:24 PM »
The GOP should show Biden's eventual nominee all the respect that the Democrats showed Kavanaugh.

(Any bets that Biden will nominate an immigrant trans POC LGBTQEIEIO to that position, since diversity, equity and inclusion are more important to him than constitutional law?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 01:17:07 PM »
Let’s hope he pulls a Harriet Meyers and the donks bicker over the choice so long the elections happen and the Rs manage to stall the nomination until the new senate is seated.  Then they can compel a far less radically leftist nominee.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 01:30:31 PM »
According to NPR News, it's down to Ketanji Brown Jackson and California Supreme Court Justice Leondra Kruger. KBJ was on President Obama's shortlist for the court in 2016, and Kruger (also a black woman) served as assistant, and then deputy solicitor general in both Democratic and Republican administrations prior to her nomination to California's highest court.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 01:56:31 PM »
According to NPR News, it's down to Ketanji Brown Jackson and California Supreme Court Justice Leondra Kruger. KBJ was on President Obama's shortlist for the court in 2016, and Kruger (also a black woman) served as assistant, and then deputy solicitor general in both Democratic and Republican administrations prior to her nomination to California's highest court.
Hmmm . . . hard to get a good read on Ketanji Brown Jackson's judicial philosophy from the Wikipedia article, but it seems she's married to former House Speaker Paul Ryan's brother-in-law . . .

Leondra Kruger's father was Jewish, so appointing her would continue the tradition of another Jewish seat on SCOTUS, letting Biden check off another diversity box.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 02:27:37 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 02:11:19 PM »
It's astounding to me that liberals (and this POS president) continue to use racist and sexist criteria over qualifications, but somehow it's not racist or sexist. We are SO bizarro world.

Anyways, if "black woman" is the primary criteria, then here's my vote.  =)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 04:18:43 PM »
Breyer is upset because this apparently unofficially leaked, and was not an official announcement from his office. Makes you wonder how bad the administration, or more likely the current puppet masters, want him out so they can get their nominee in.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/01/26/he-should-reverse-his-decision-justice-breyer-reportedly-upset-retirement-was-leaked-to-media-before-his-announcement/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 04:21:01 PM »
A Liberal for a Liberal, how it's going to be.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 05:11:27 PM »
"Leondra Kruger's father was Jewish, so appointing her would continue the tradition of another Jewish seat on SCOTUS, letting Biden check off another diversity box."

But that wouldn't sit well with a lot of the far left because, let's face it... they HATE Jews/Israel.

Even if the nominee were a phobic self-heating Jew of monumental proportions it wouldn't be suitable, because Jew/Israel.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 07:04:36 PM »
I've seen reports that VP Harris is in the running.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 07:06:02 PM »
I've seen reports that VP Harris is in the running.

Put her on the SC, fill the vacancy with Nancy and 25th amendment Biden. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
 [barf]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 09:48:05 PM »
The GOP should show Biden's eventual nominee all the respect that the Democrats showed Kavanaugh.

(Any bets that Biden will nominate an immigrant trans POC LGBTQEIEIO to that position, since diversity, equity and inclusion are more important to him than constitutional law?)

Stacy Abrams' sister is reportedly one of the front runners.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 10:30:01 PM »
Keep in mind that "constitutional law" courses in law school are more about getting around it than about adhering to it...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 07:13:08 AM »
Keep in mind that "constitutional law" courses in law school are more about getting around it than about adhering to it...

That ... and teaching prospective attorneys that the Constitution (and especially the Bill of Rights) is a musty old piece of paper whose only rightful place is in a museum. And that the Constitution doesn't mean what the words meant when they were written, it means what we can twost and torture the words into meaning today -- when viewed through the lens of European law.

[barf]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 08:25:10 AM »
I was thinking a bit about this and how the Rs should handle it, given that they're not going to stop an appointment.

The "vengeance" part of me wants to see the appointee Kavanaughed just so the Ds can get a taste of their own medicine (of course I know how the MSM will twist it given that it's not happening to a white guy). If the appointee is someone like Ifill, who is a dream candidate for the squad, that could be appropriate though.

Otherwise, if it's someone like Brown-Jackson, who seems to be rising to the top and also looks to have the creds, even if they are very liberal, it would be interesting to see the Rs say, "ok by us", or even "good choice", not lift a finger to stop it, and that's that. Sure, it could cause an MSM orgasm of "Biden won!", but it could also cause a lot of far left heads to explode trying to figure out why the Rs didn't fight it.

If this were an appointee to fill a 4-4 vacancy during the last year of a lame duck presidency, I might call for a different strategy. In a one to one swap given the current makeup, not being total whackos like the Ds were during Kavanaugh could be a good strategy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 08:56:06 AM »
QFT. 

Yeah, that seems to be the whole point with lawyers these days.  It isn't about understanding and complying with the law, it is about how to bend it to do whatever you want to do. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »
. . .
If this were an appointee to fill a 4-4 vacancy during the last year of a lame duck presidency, I might call for a different strategy. In a one to one swap given the current makeup, not being total whackos like the Ds were during Kavanaugh could be a good strategy.
I think vigorous questioning would be appropriate as well as bringing forth every bad decision they've made and making it public, but as for laying siege to the hearing chambers and pounding on the doors the way Kavanaugh's opponents did - NO. Just NO.

(Saw on TV last night that one of the presumptive front runners has had her decisions
unanimously overturned by an appeals court many times. This would be a valid line of attack during the hearings.)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 09:46:57 AM »
QFT. 

Yeah, that seems to be the whole point with lawyers these days.  It isn't about understanding and complying with the law, it is about how to bend it to do whatever you want to do.

Lawful Evil alignment.