Author Topic: I pulled a turkey out of the freezer yesterday, and roasted it today  (Read 1559 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
...in the Bigassâ„¢ electric roaster.  Right now I'm boiling the gizzard, neck, tail, and wingtips, along with the pan drippings to make stock.  We had roast turkey, green beans, and mashed potatoes for supper.  I'll make another pot of stock tomorrow using the bones.  The main event will be a big pot of turkey gumbo this weekend.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: I pulled a turkey out of the freezer yesterday, and roasted it today
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 07:28:51 AM »
Nice. I love turkey.

How did you get it defrosted so quickly? Water bath?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 09:22:53 AM »
Nice. I love turkey.

How did you get it defrosted so quickly? Water bath?

I roast them without thawing first.  I did partially thaw it first so I could unwrap it easier and get the giblet bag out.  I set it in the sink for a couple of hours, then before I went to bed I wrapped it in a heavy towel to insulate it and put it on the counter.  (I thought I mentioned that but I guess I didn't.)  Next morning it was still cold and still had some ice in the center but was thawed enough.

You can roast them w/o thawing at all; just add about an hour to the cooking time.  I can't find the USDA bulletin about it, but they mention it at the end of this article: https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2019/11/26/sos-turkey-day-my-turkey-isnt-ready-what-do-i-do-now
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 09:32:06 AM »
I'll be doing similar with my "extra turkey" this year, but am waiting until maybe May or June, before the Summer heat sets in and I don't want an oven on half the day.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 09:33:33 AM »
Ah, OK. I've heard of that before.

I've never done it, and likely will never do it, because I'm firmly in the "Let's stick bread up the bird's ass!" camp.

I LOVE stuffing that's cooked in the bird and in order to do that you need a fully defrosted bird that's as dry in the cavity as you can get it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 09:37:44 AM »
I'll be doing similar with my "extra turkey" this year, but am waiting until maybe May or June, before the Summer heat sets in and I don't want an oven on half the day.  =)

So cook it on your grill!

I've cooked turkeys on the grill a number of times (I don't stuff them when I'm grill cooking them, although I have cooked stuffed chickens and Cornish hens on the grill) and pretty uniformly they've come out fantastic.

Bit of a smokey flavor to boot, even more if you go wood chips.

The last couple of years at Thanksgiving at Castle Key's we roasted one of the turkeys on his Big Green Egg. He puts a bacon weave on top which also imparts a very nice flavor, and the cooked bacon is then crumbled and put on the table for people to add to their mashed potatoes if they wish.

All in all a win for everyone! Except Castle Key. He's come down with that Alpha Gal tick disease that makes him allergic to mammalian meat, so no bacon for him.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 09:51:56 AM »

I've cooked turkeys on the grill a number of times (I don't stuff them when I'm grill cooking them, although I have cooked stuffed chickens and Cornish hens on the grill) and pretty uniformly they've come out fantastic.

The last couple of years at Thanksgiving at Castle Key's we roasted one of the turkeys on his Big Green Egg. He puts a bacon weave on top which also imparts a very nice flavor, and the cooked bacon is then crumbled and put on the table for people to add to their mashed potatoes if they wish.

All in all a win for everyone! Except Castle Key. He's come down with that Alpha Gal tick disease that makes him allergic to mammalian meat, so no bacon for him.

I like to smoke a turkey or 2 in the smoker every summer.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 11:43:09 AM »

They've GMO'd pigs to not produce alpha-galactose, that's how they transplanted a pig heart into a guy a few weeks ago.  I don't think the bellies are good for anything transplant-wise, so should be able to make alpha-gal free bacon.

Ape meat also does not have it  [barf]
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 05:39:00 PM »
"Ape meat also does not have it."

Humans don't have it, either...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 06:07:15 PM »
"Ape meat also does not have it."

Humans don't have it, either...

I was gonna just leave that implied.  :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 06:23:15 PM »
As much time I've spent at Castle Key's place over the past couple of years, I'm absolutely shocked that I've not contracted Alpha Gal.