Author Topic: On the Covid Worker Shortage  (Read 1743 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: On the Covid Worker Shortage
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2022, 03:44:55 PM »
Hmmm . . . are there income limits for receiving SSDI? I have a pension, just started getting regular SS, and have some investment income as well . . . but if SSDI is also available, well, I think I feel a headache coming on . . .

Nope, you lose. If on SSDI as soon as you hit regular SS age they switch you over automatically.

bob

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2022, 05:45:10 PM »
As far as the people with the extra stuff goes, if you have no intention of ever paying for it, but you can get it, then their idea is to get it, use the hell out of it, and when they come get it, you had the fun of it without the headache of paying for it.  Around here young couples have been building 4-5,000 sq ft houses because the bank let them have the money to do it.  It's the old concept of, "I deserve it" to the max.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2022, 08:51:14 PM »
Riots would be my guess, too.

Too many people who keep getting stuff for free, no strings attached, have a tendency to start looking at those things as their God-given right.

If they're taken away, all hell breaks loose.

Remember this guy?

https://www.bombthrowers.com/app/uploads/The-Last-Psychiatrist_-The-Terrible-Awful-Truth-About-Supplemental-Security-Income.pdf
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2022, 08:56:45 PM »
Supposedly yes but these worthless *expletive deleted*s are getting it from somewhere, and enough of it to buy expensive new cars/trucks, boats, campers, ATVs and so on.

I've heard, but not actually sought out, that you can buy identities, to the point where you've got 7-8 dependents to claim... And each one of them is worth money. Stimulus checks? Add 'em up, new car. Child tax credit? Pays more than you've paid in. And so on...
Blog under construction

JN01

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2022, 11:08:37 PM »
Haven't most extended and enhanced unemployment benefits ended?  Where are these non-working folks getting money to live on?

In some areas, you can load up a cart at your local retail store and walk out without paying, and eviction processes are usually drawn out, so if they can scrape up enough cash to keep the utilities on, they can be good to go for quite a while.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »
A lot of utility companies are still on service shutoff moratoriums, and quite a few have also been quite... liberal... with utility assistance, as have local and state governments.

My electric company, Dominion Virginia, has this on their website:

"COVID-19
Due to the coronavirus, we have suspended all service disconnections for nonpayment at this time. Assistance is available to individuals and families who may be struggling financially due to the pandemic."

That's on top of regular programs that help people with heating assistance during the winter.

I just have a funny feeling that we're well past the period when these programs were needed, and now we're into the period where these programs are being abused by people who just don't want to work, and they're taking benefits away from people who really do need the assistance.

I have nothing to back that up, that's just a gut feeling based on many disparate factors, including employers screaming for bodies to fill jobs as well as what seems to be the rising tide of "anti-work" sentiment.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2022, 07:59:02 PM »
Too many people are getting away with too much - we saw that in 2020's riots, we see that with "non prosecution" of shoplifting and theft, we see it with "smash and grab" mobs, so why shouldn't it be happening with other scams as well?

All kidding aside and ignoring the fact that I have some semblance of a conscience, the certainty that I would be made an example of (since I have no criminal record at all) keeps me from getting involved in any of these scams.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain