Author Topic: Concrete sealer on aggregate driveway  (Read 370 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Concrete sealer on aggregate driveway
« on: February 23, 2022, 10:44:56 AM »
When it warms up a bit here, I am going to use the new Ryobi gas pressure washer to clean the aggregate driveway, patio and sidewalk.  Does anyone have an opinion as to if using a concrete sealer afterwards does anything for the appearance or longevity of the concrete?  Would this help keep the concrete cleaner so that I only have to pressure wash it every two years?  If so, any thoughts on a good and easy to apply sealer?  I have for decades been pressure washing concrete and never used a sealer, but now I wonder if I am missing something.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Concrete sealer on aggregate driveway
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 11:11:41 AM »
When you say sealer, do you mean some type of resurfacing treatment or just general water sealing?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 01:00:17 PM »
^^^Just general water sealing.  One of our neighbors ripped out the aggregate and replaced it with a stamped concrete driveway.  It is a gorgeous colored brick pattern, and a concrete sealer was applied to it. It has a glossy finish to it. I am not sure that you could even see gloss on aggregate concrete, but I don't know.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 04:27:11 PM »
It's been my experience that all sealers leave some level of perceptible gloss. I think there are matting agents that can knock it down some but I've never used any.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
Be careful you don't create a problem by making them water resistant, and slippery when wet.  I have seen instances where treated concrete will hold water and be slick, or freeze over with a sheet of ice.  Kind of like the black ice we deal with in KY.