Author Topic: Washington state mag cap limit on Gov's desk.  (Read 909 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Washington state mag cap limit on Gov's desk.
« on: March 05, 2022, 01:03:41 PM »
Never mind it won't do zip to stop crime.

Late last night, the Washington State House passed a “high capacity” magazine ban bill. As king5.com reports, “SB 5078 prohibits the sale of gun magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, along with the manufacturing, distribution, possession, import or purchase of high-capacity magazines in Washington state.”

The bill now goes to Governor Jay Inslee, who will sign it with glee.

It’s important to note that the magazine ban won’t outlaw possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. Those who currently own them in Evergreen State can legally keep them.

Washington House Passes ‘High Capacity’ Magazine Ban, Bill Goes To Governor’s Desk
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/washington-house-passes-high-capacity-magazine-ban-bill-goes-to-governors-desk/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Washington state mag cap limit on Gov's desk.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 01:40:00 PM »
Never mind it won't do zip to stop crime.

Washington House Passes ‘High Capacity’ Magazine Ban, Bill Goes To Governor’s Desk
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/washington-house-passes-high-capacity-magazine-ban-bill-goes-to-governors-desk/

The politicians in WA won't be happy until they have stricter gun laws than CA has. It has been creeping that way for years but in the last few years it is like a steam roller. I am glad I moved although I can see NV headed the same way. :(

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »
The politicians in WA won't be happy until they have stricter gun laws than CA has. It has been creeping that way for years but in the last few years it is like a steam roller. I am glad I moved although I can see NV headed the same way. :(

bob

It really seems like both WA and OR (or more precisely, Seattle and Portland) are trying their best to outdo CA not just on gun control, but pretty much every other hippie cause out there. Damn shame for all the people in those states outside the metros.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 03:13:05 PM »
At least CA allows possession of such mags, at least for the time being.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

bscl

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 03:57:52 PM »
Although the original version included "possession", the one sitting on the desk doesn't. Still an infringement, but I'm preaching to the choir.
https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?billnumber=5078&year=2021#documentSection
Life Member NRA, SAF

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 04:22:33 PM »
Although the original version included "possession", the one sitting on the desk doesn't. Still an infringement, but I'm preaching to the choir.

Duly noted.  Still sucks.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »

So will there be another airlift?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bscl

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 12:39:13 AM »
I am very disappointed but not surprised that they did this. I was free from 10 round magazine limits for almost four years now. But yes, looks like another airlift will be appropriate.
Life Member NRA, SAF

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 06:24:07 AM »
The California infection continues.  Wonder how long it will take them to flip Arizona to their mode of thinking.  Hell it went from red to blue pretty quick. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 08:55:31 AM »
WA Gun Owner Fury Erupts as Lawmakers Pass Magazine Ban
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/03/wa-gun-owner-fury-erupts-as-lawmakers-pass-magazine-ban/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)#axzz7MrB8Aims

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2022/03/wa-gun-owner-fury-erupts-as-lawmakers-pass-magazine-ban/#ixzz7MrD7BVnE
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

He predicted a surge in magazine purchasing, a notion reinforced by an announcement from at least one firm—Palmetto State Armory—announced it will prioritize orders from Washington State residents: “All magazine orders placed from Washington State with Palmetto State Armory with ship out immediately and receive priority over all other orders.”

This law moved pretty fast through their legislature.  I think I saw mention of it passing one house over a week ago.   I guess there isn't a very active pro-gun group in WA.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 10:48:11 AM »
WA Gun Owner Fury Erupts as Lawmakers Pass Magazine Ban
https://www.ammoland.com/2022/03/wa-gun-owner-fury-erupts-as-lawmakers-pass-magazine-ban/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)#axzz7MrB8Aims

This law moved pretty fast through their legislature.  I think I saw mention of it passing one house over a week ago.   I guess there isn't a very active pro-gun group in WA.

Being one of the few remaining Washington state natives, there is actually active pro-gun activity.  But the demographics of the state are such that liberal Seattle and King County population and representation dominate state politics over the more conservative and lesser populated regions north, south, and east of Seattle.  In our neighbors to the south, Portland and Multnomah County are the same for Oregon.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 12:46:23 PM »
Being one of the few remaining Washington state natives, there is actually active pro-gun activity.  But the demographics of the state are such that liberal Seattle and King County population and representation dominate state politics over the more conservative and lesser populated regions north, south, and east of Seattle.  In our neighbors to the south, Portland and Multnomah County are the same for Oregon.

Every state is ruled by the cities. See "Reynolds vs Simms", USSC under Chief Justice Earl Warren. Warren said after his retirement this was the single most consequential decision of his tenure on the court.

If you are not familiar with it,  the case was that State Senators were "unfairly" proportioned to the population, as low population counties got the same number as highly populated counties.
 This was changed to proportion State Senators by population, not by geography, which  gave the cities all the state power.
 This is exactly the same concept the left is pushing when we hear how unfair it is that Wyoming has the same number of senators as NY. They would like to do the same thing , on a National level, to erase any rural states( AKA non communist controlled states).
 And this why Denver rules CO, Portland rules OR, Seattle rules WA, Las Vegas Rules NV, and on and on-
 This USSC decision is the root cause of 90% of the things we bitch about ,politics wise.
The left concentrates in cities, and the cities have the most population.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 02:05:55 PM »
The NRA is trying to get an AW ban to the supreme court now.  We will see if the court has really changed for the positive.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 06:16:51 PM »
I was thinking more about a group that monitors current legislation and can get word out when that stuff is still in committee versus already getting passed.  I got the impression no one knew about this until it was already heading for the Gov's desk.  I guess that is more complicated when the legislature is in session all the time.

However, I agree that gun owners don't have a lot of power in those states. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bscl

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 01:03:13 AM »
The Firearms Policy Coalition first sent notice of this bill around mid-January, and the NRA-ILA about the same time when the bill (and others) were still in committee. I and some of my coworkers have been emailing since then. Sounds like there was overwhelming opposition to this but of course the Dems ignored us. Fortunately my two reps are on my side with respect to these issues and they voted in opposition. Anyone have Twitter? KOMO news ran a poll asking if the gov should sign this and I thought the results were majority NO but I was busy in the kitchen and could have misread the screen.
Life Member NRA, SAF